Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #1  

Default Calories in sushi??

I was wondering if anyone knew the calorie count in one California roll. I usually count it as 30 cals/piece, but I saw a package of California rolls in the grocery store the other day. I was shocked to find that the back said 260 cals/4 pieces or something like that. I don't want to believe this is true!! Is it true??
Old 08-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #2  

I read somewhere that it averages 50-70 cal/piece. I guess for a california roll it depends on the size of the avacado pieces and the size of the roll in general as the cals in sticky rice add up pretty quickly. If you enjoy it, just have it in moderation. I recall a site called eatsushi.com which has some information. You may want to check it out.

Hugs,
Regina
Old 08-27-2004, 04:56 PM   #3  

Check out www.calorieking.com and click on the Food Database link. You can look up just about any type of food there.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:32 AM   #4  
Om shanti

The calorie count for California Rolls depends greatly on the amount of sugar in the mirin, and the amount of avocado put in the role. I've seen California Rolls that ran 40 calories per piece, and I've seen California Rolls that ran 90 calories per piece. Rely on the nutritional information availble where you buy your sushi, and if they don't have nutrtional information available, always use the higher number.

Tuna Rolls, without avocado, generally run about 25-30 calories. I've seen some Tuna Rolls, though, that could very well have been 50 calories per piece, given how big they were.

Sashimi is, of course, the least calorie sushi, and has the lowest Glycemic Load.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

Here is a good sushi nutrition site. Of course the nutrition counts are specific to the way this company makes their rolls but I think the major ones (like California Rolls) are pretty standard.

http://www.afcsushi.com/pages/nutrition.html

Sushi rolls have been a life saver for me in my new way of eating. As long as you stick to the rolls with mostly vegetables, they are healthy and very filling.
Closed Thread