Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-26-2004, 01:24 PM   #1  

Default I jogged!

Yesterday on my walk I decided to try to jog some intervals. I don't know why -- I am still 190+ and haven't done more than a fast walk since I was about 12 (I'm 42 now). Maybe it was inspiration from the Olympics ...

So, making sure I was on a quiet dead-end street where the residents hadn't yet gotten home from work (don't want to look like a fool, dontcha know), I jogged from a trash can to a light pole, about 20 feet up hill. Hooray! I did 4 more intervals, each about 30 seconds, during my 2.4m walk. I couldn't believe it. Me. Jogging. Wonders never cease.

I have awful awful held-together-by-a-wish knees, so running is not something I'll ever be able to do. But, it's good to know I can handle a few intervals now and then ...
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #2  
No description available.

Yea for you!!!
I have found myself being rather inspired by the Olympics too.
Jen
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:52 PM   #3  
Living the Laguna life...

Hey funniegrrl!
I normally post in a different section, but I saw your thread topic on the home page and had to comment....About two years ago, I weighed 191 lbs, and it was then that I realized I had to do something. I had formerly been active, but at the time hardly did anything. I also had a bad knee (torn ACL 6 years ago). I started out running small, SMALL distances. Since then I have gradually increased and the pounds have slowly left...I have lost almost 30 pounds, most of which I attribute to running. I now run for fun (can you believe it!), and my longest run has been about 7 miles. I never would have though two years ago that I could say that. And best of all, since I've been excercising the weight has rarely come back on (I was entirely off plan for about 9 months and gained 4 pounds...and i mean entirely!) So i would encourage you to start slow, but never think that you can't do it. You can do anything you put your mind to! <<Hugs>>
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 PM   #4  

Thanks michelle ... I've actually been exercising quite a bit for the last 2 years or so -- walking, elliptical, stationary bike, weight training, yoga. I've lost about 145 pounds so far. But, this was a big milestone because I'd always been too heavy to even think about running at all without being miserable and/or hurting my knees. So, this was a huge milestone, but not my first foray into cardio!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #5  

Oh FG, I am so very happy for you. I have been adding in just a few short jogs into my walks too. It was so uplifting, I use to love to get out and run when I was in my teens and really thought that was a part of my life never to be experienced again. I know I will never do a lot of running but it does feel so darned good just to be able to feel so much lighter on my feet.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:47 AM   #6  
singletrack chick

i started jogging when i was about 200 lbs. lucky for me my parents had a treadmill, or i probably would have never given it a try at that weight. being out on the street running where people could see me, the thought was mortifying. you've already conquorred the hardest part, trying it for the first time. congrats. it will just get easier and easier for you. i too, like michelle, atribute most of my weight loss to running, although biking is my real passion. i find running to be a big confindence builder. its hard, and i see improvements in my preformance almost everytime i run. good luck and stick with it. it is very rewarding.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #7  

Jogging intervals can be a great way to build up to runnning. My knees aren't great either but I can still run decent. If you go to coolrunning.com they have a from the couch to a 5k training program that well help you go from not running to doing about3 miles using intervals.
kblahetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #8  

Hey there! Funny you should mention that ... I'd slacked off on my exercise the last few months, so I went to coolrunning.com and printed off this 5K training plan they have ... heh heh. That's my template, although I'm still in the pre-prep stage right now, not doing 3 miles every day yet.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

funniegrrl -- YOU are funny aren't ya! Your name says it all... CONGRATS on the run I'm 47 and just started running on the at the gym... I'm hooked... Now I'm trying to run outside... I've only done it twice so far but I really like it and I'm determined to keep at it till I can do a decent time in a 5K... Next summer probably...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote