South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:51 AM   #1  
I vant to draw your blood

Default Thursday 08/26 Chat on the Beach

Good morning, Chicklets~~

It's still very dark and looks gray outside. I think we're in for it, weatherwise, today.

Got about 1000 new gray hairs yesterday. I was almost home, talking to DD on the cell phone and I happened to glance down as I was making the corner onto our street. I was not alone in the car. A hideous black spider was with me! Right next to my right leg!!!! For those of you who don't know, arachnophobic doesn't even begin to describe me. I nearly knocked down a mailbox in my terror. He disappeared under the seat and now, I'm terrified to even get inside my own car. Because of my breathing, I can't exactly go out there and Black Flag the entire car, either. I just hope that he was nearing his expiration date and the next time I see him, he's a dried up little spider husk. I get all twichy just thinking about it.

Not much else going on. I'm almost finished with the chemo hat...if I can find a couple of double point needles that have gone astray somewhere in the house. Otherwise I get to go buy some more.

Hope you Chicks have a great day on the beach!

Mamacita
Old 08-26-2004, 08:02 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good gray morning here too, Mamacita. I saw that you were up and at it early this morning and figured you'd crank us up while I got my coffee and fed my preggy Girls. I totally understand the spider phobia! I don't mind spiders but birds just freak me completely. They are OK flying around and singing but stay away from me! Act like a bird, please!

Well, I auditioned Tuesday night, decided the play was not for me, then got a gushingly enthusiastic phone call from the Director and got convinced to take a part. I am a scale ho and a theatre ho! Maureen the Director had seen me in The Vagina Monologues but my cold reading of this script really impressed her. Now I just need to lose 20 years so I can be a forty something woman. This is white hair, not blonde! The play is Last of the Red Hot Lovers and is set in the 60's. I'm the only one in the cast who remembers that era! (I remember being so thrilled when panti-hose were invented! Better than sliced bread. )

So that was yesterday's excitement. I need a life!

I weighed Hersh after her Nursing Home job yesterday and she has LOST weight! She is down from 58 tp 55.2. It's OK for her to lose weight in this first trimester but I'm going to keep an eye on her. You'd think sleeping and eating would make her gain. It works for me.

Sarah was to come and dig perennials for the weekend plant sale but just cancelled. She fell off her bike last night and has a major headache. I told her to go to the doc or emergency. Poor kid! Bees and bumps. It's raining right now so it would have been a bust gardening morning anyhow although I may put on the knee support and go dig a few myself later.

This afternoon is my afternoon "off". When Jane is here, I'll go to town and bottle wine. I really should do a WallyWorld trip but know it'll be crowded with back to school shoppers. Oy! I have discovered that you can have your order rung through on the drug department cash where there is never a lineup.

What's happening in your neck of the woods?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #3  
Bikini Babe Wannabe

Good morning Mamacita,
What an awful story. I'm not a big fan of spiders, but and even more freaked out by snakes. Can't even watch them on televisiton. I absolutely feel your pain and am so sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully today will be a better day for you.

It's dark here as well. Yesterday turned out being nice and was able to eat my salad outsidein the courtyard, Not sure if I will be so luck today. I manages to stay on plan again yesterday. Went out for dinner with my BF and was tempted ny the4 warm soft pretzels, but was strong and passed. Had a cheeseburger without the bun and a garden salad. I did have cheddar on it and cream in my decaf, so I wasn't 100% good, but treated myself for being good the rest of the week.

I just found a sf coffee syrup in a Kahlua flavor. It's made with splenda so it get to my stomach like most of sugar alcohol. It's really yummy and is a nice substitute for the forbidden International Delight low carb french vanilla that usually enjoy each morning.

I'm glad it's almost Friday. Will spend the weekend house hunting again. We actually found a single family house that is in our price range...never thought that would happen.

Well I need to get more coffee then hit the Phighting Phatties thread and cheer the rest of the re-do-phase-1-again chicks on.

Have a wonderful day on the beach chickies!
Sheila
Old 08-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #4  
Bikini Babe Wannabe

Hi Ruth,
We were posting at the same time. I am glad to hear you got the part....I'm sure you will be fine. You can always dye your hair with the semi permanent that washes out in 20 or so washings.....it really does come out I promise. Have a good day on the beach!
Sheila
Old 08-26-2004, 09:12 AM   #5  

Mamacita- I am absolutely terrified of spiders myself! My mom was bitten by a black widow spider when she was a kid and ended up in the hospital. She told us about it when we were little and scared me. I worry about the brown recluse ones here too.

Ruth- good news on the part. It sounds like a lot of fun. Was Sarah wearing a helmet while she rode her bike? Around here you are required by law and I know several people that are probably alive today because they were wearing them when they were hit by cars on their bikes.

Sheila- Congratulations on passing up the pretzels. I LOVE those kind.

I'm working from home today since its Cub Scout rally day and I have the Scouting for Scouts tonight. No time for exercise but Kelly and I did take 3 - 7 year olds on scooters/rollerblades and her little one in a stroller and walked for an hour last night. There was a breeze so it didn't feel as hot as it was and we brought plenty of water (it was also dark by the time we got home).
Old 08-26-2004, 09:47 AM   #6  

Hello again!

I know I have not been on a lot lately But I am having trouble juggling everyone to where they need to be and get everything I need to get done. I am sure I will get the hang of it in a week or two. Its a sunny hot day here in Texas. So what else in new right!
Good news!! We closed on our old house yesterday. Now I can finally get drapes in my bedroom: And do a couple of other things that I had been forbiden to even think about much less talk
about. The 2 house payments stunk!
I have a lady coming by to talk about my drapes this AM and then it is off to the store for more OP and Mozzerella for Pizza Pie. What sort of veggies do you think I can hide in ther?

Mama- Oh honey i am there with you on the spiders. Glad you did not get bitten!!
Ruth Congrats on the part!::
Sheila Great sustitute for the coffee. Those are hard to give up. I am having a hard time giving up my Mochas at Starbucks. I am having one today NF no whip but I know it is still no exactly OP. But a once and a while treat I deserve RIGHT
Barb- Good for you I still have not gotten out to excercise. Have a nice day and stay inside suposr to be a hot one today.

Well better go straighten up the house and clean the kitchen. Gald everyone seems to be doing well. I almost forgot how is Ellis doing?

Thanks
Talk to you all later.
:
Old 08-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Ellis is hanging in there. Beachgal and I got an email this morning. She is spending most of her time at the hospital but did get home to sleep last night. I know she has been in here reading but does not feel like posting.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #8  
Bikini Babe Wannabe

Skherb-I have to tell you...I used to have a cafe mocha, sometimes 2 or 3 if I was travelling. I have switched to decaf skim lattes with SF vanilla shots and they seem to cure my cravings pretty well. I also just discovered the mocha frappacino light mad with skim milk and splenda. So you can still get your sweet/coffee drinks, but make them SoBe friendly.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #9  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Default Spider?

Mamacita: I TOTALLY understand the spider thing. I am terrified of them. I typically get them in the car when I've parked under a tree in the summer time, get into my car, roll down my window a bit to get a breeze, and 2 miles down the road I see something out of the corner of my left eye. It's a spider, dangling down into my car. I honestly have almost wrecked a couple of times because of that. Nearly set myself on fire once, too, when I was smoking and saw one dangling into the car, started my panicky flailing, and whacked my lit cigarette into the ceiling, sending an explosion of ash and fire everywhere. No good!

Just to get it off my chest, I am arachniphobic, claustrophobic, and tornadophobic. They are the worst three fears to have! Soon as the tornado sirens go off here (which is often, typically) you have to freak out because there's a tornado, run to the basement (a stuffy, enclosed area,) and what lives in a basement? Spiders. All 3 fears at once. No wonder I had so many panic attacks during tornados, as a teen!

Well, I told you all I'd be bad last night, and I was, and yet somehow it did me some good. I only played 1 match at volleyball last night, but then went out to the bar and did go a little overboard.....5 beers. Now, I figured I'd weigh a good 8 lbs more today (in fact, I had a nightmare that I was back up to 148) but the beer in my system, this morning, helped me get a good "purging."

I would like to announce to all that I am now 138 lbs. This is the first time in 6 years that I've been under 140! It's also the first time I've lost any weight for the last 2 weeks or so. I give all the credit to beer, as an excuse to drink it every week. (Just kidding! ) It sure was fun though, and I'm really excited this morning!

Gonna go lay around for awhile before I have to go to work. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:29 AM   #10  
Conquering with SBD

Good morning ladies.

I can't believe that another week is just about over. AND, the boss is going on holidays tomorrow. Woohoo!!!! Another working vacation for the staff.

Mama - Oh, I hate any kind of bug. They are just creapy... A few years ago, a friend was driving her brand new car (a week old), had the windows down and a bee flew in the window. It flew up her skirt, stung her and she totalled the car. Thankfully that did not happen to you, but just as freaky anyway.

Ruth - Congrats on getting the role. I, too, love the theatre, but had to give up the performing end several years ago. I love the spectator sport now and would love to come watch you in action. WTG.

Sheila - I'm so proud of you for staying OP while eating out. What a great feeling to know that you can do it...next time, too.

Barb - Have a great day with the Scouts. Hope everything goes well for rally day. Will be so much fun for the kids.

skherb - Great news on the house...and now you get drapes, too. Hmmm, wonder what sights the neighbours have been having the past while? Have fun cleaning (I finally have DH convinced that it is men's work).

ellis - Thinking of you and praying for you. Take care of yourself along with your dad.

Me - Last night I got to cook SBD. Noone in the house to wrinkle up her nose at the thought of eating on my program. Anyway, I made the Soy Pork Chops. They were absolutely fab. DH had seconds and packed them up for his lunch today.

I am doing the lunch out today, rather than exercise. We are taking the summer student out before he is finished work and heads back to school. Everyone decided that Boston Pizza is the best place to go. Of course, the only weakness I have with carbs is pasta and where do we go? The pasta place. Oh well, I have been working on my psyche to make sure that I eat OP at noon. Will let you know how it turns out.

Hope everyone has a great day on the beach.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #11  

Congratulations, Weezle! I just can't manage to give beer the credit but I'll believe the volleyball did it. However it happened, I am glad for your sake!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Afternoon, all!

Mama, you are one early girl! Early spinner gets the wool, huh? Oh, Mama, spiders are freaky! I hate having them in the car because you have no idea where they have gone!!! I'm sure he'll be dead by the time you get back in. I've never seen a spider twice in the car. I, too, end up rebuying craft supplies...I always lose them, then buy more. Can someone say "Laurie needs to be organized?"

Ruth, congrats on the part! How fun!!! I know you can be a va-va-va-voom girl! Love that tip about Wal*Mart...good idea! Enjoy your afternoon off! You've never described what's going on with the wine bottling...spill, girl! Are you part of a prohibition-era distillery that does wine on the side? Do you crush grapes a la Lucy? We want to hear all about it!

Sheila, good for you on passing up the soft pretzels! That must have been hard! I know it would have tempted me! <drool> Good for you! The syrup sounds great! Is it the B-52 one? That's really good...it's a DaVinci. I also love the Peppermint Paddy. Tastes like chocolate and mint. Yum!

Barb, that walk sounds wonderful! I didn't know you guys got Brown recluse in TX too. We get them in CA (where I'm from...though I live in NY now). Personally, I think running after a bunch of young scouts ought to count as exercise!

Hi, SKHerb, and CONGRATULATIONS on closing on the old house!!! Yippeee! The new drapes sound wonderful! Tell us all about them...I'm a fabric hound, so I love hearing about this stuff! In the pizza pie...how about onions, mushrooms, peppers, carrots...even zucchini! Yumm! SK, I love the mochas at Starbucks, too, but I am pretty sure they use syrup to make them...and not the SF kind. Check and see, but if they have sugar in them, you have to stay away...they will stop your weightloss and really mess with your blood chemistry. Sheila had some great ideas for how to make them SBD friendly. Good going, Sheila!

Weezle, those tornados sound terrifying! I'm really freaked out by the idea of them, having never experienced one. However, earthquakes don't freak me out...in fact, they can be kind of fun. My parent's house was hit really badly by the Northridge earthquake, and I know how destructive they can be, but because I have experience with them, they don't freak me out like tornadoes do! I'm thrilled to hear that you are down to 138, but take gentle care of yourself and avoid beer in the future, Weezle...it can really hurt your body (as you found out. I know you can do this in a great, healthy way (now that you got a jumpstart! )

Peggy, I love it when my boss is gone, too! He creates such a maelstrom of confusion and crazy feelings among my coworkers and me when he is here, that it is much nicer when he is gone. I feel a bit guilty about that, but... Enjoy that time! You're probably done with lunch now, but just a tip for later...when I have gone out to a nice Italian place (only thrice now in the last four months), I have asked if the pasta is durum semolina. If so, I get a small side with olive oil and garlic. Not only is this delicious and OP, but it really sates my desire for pasta. There are a lot of great dishes at Italian places with no pasta in them...and I always avoided them before! Now it's like a whole new menu...and with that side of pasta, I don't feel deprived. Hope you had an enjoyable experience with good, OP food!

Me:

I've taken so long to write this, I'm sure ten more people posted...sorry I've been so sporadic in my daily posting. Hello and hugs to all those who come after or that I missed! Work has just been crazy. I could work 24/7 and not finish all I have to do! It's so overwhelming that I'm here posting instead of doing it. Crazy stuff.

I've been working on that baby quilt and actually got to quilt on it last night! I was amazed to find out that quilting is actually the stiching that holds the pieces (top, batting, bottom) together. The putting together of fabric pieces is called "piecing". Who knew? Anyways, I had to really struggle with my machine for a while...the bobbin was not happy. I oiled it, cursed at it, petted and cajoled it, and finally it purred through the quilting around two blocks. I had to go to bed at that point, but I'm hoping I'll have enough energy left after Jazzercise to maybe even finish the quilting! I'll need help from my coworker with doing the last step, the binding. She's not in the office today, because her husband has been dealing with some horrific stomach bug for weeks. He's had a bunch of tests run, and she's really worried. I think she just needed some time alone at home to do some crying. If you get a chance to pray for her husband, Pat, please do. I'm worried about him too! Her mother also just found a lump in her breast, and all in all, poor Candy (my coworker) really has a lot of worry on her plate.

I'm still in the middle of my plateau. Not entirely sure why, but think it might have been finishing off the cheesecake I made last weekend. It was OP, but I think it might have had too much fat to keep me losing. It's gone now, and I'll freeze the pieces of the next one so I don't eat the whole thing. It was good, but not really good enough to share the recipe with you guys...it was made with gelatin, so it had the consistency of silicone breast implants. At least, that's the way DH described it.

I start classes week after next, and students start arriving next Thursday. Lots to do!

Not much else to write...(and I can hear Ellis saying, "You haven't written enough already? ). Gotta go eat lunch and cooked up some chicken breasts for tonight's salad! Had a great stir fry last night and used arrowroot to thicken it. Worked like a charm! I'll post the stir fry recipe later.

Have a great day, all!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #13  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
I'm thrilled to hear that you are down to 138, but take gentle care of yourself and avoid beer in the future, Weezle...it can really hurt your body (as you found out. I know you can do this in a great, healthy way (now that you got a jumpstart! )
Hey, nothing wrong with a good purging now and then, especially on this diet! What was said about me, my second week here? Weezle Made a Big Poop? Something like that. Let's just say it was my first "big poop" in a month. I take the occasional little one, but beer makes you have a big one, and you feel so much better.

I know. No more beer. I figured it was okay since I'm doing Ph1 next week, and my weight hadn't budged at all.

Well, back to All My Children. Commercial is over. Later all!
Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #14  
Conquering with SBD

Well, I managed to get through the lunch today. Even though 2 of my employees tried to get me to eat a quesadilla (sp?), I didn't. They really did try hard, though. Probably because they are supposedly on SBD and wanted me to join them in eating off program However, it wasn't that difficult for me, because I am not particularly fond of carbs...it makes it so much easier to resist the temptations. Put me in front of a table laden with desserts and it is a completely different story.

Anyway, for lunch I had a spinach salad with oil and vinegar dressing on the side, and added a grilled chicken breast. To drink, I had a glass of water with a lime. It was truly yummy. AND the other ladies wished they had eaten what I did...way to put a guilt trip on someone else.

Hope everyone has a great evening and I'll check in sometime tomorrow. I just have to dig my boss hat out of the closet. I know it's there somewhere and I'm praying that there aren't any big problems come up because the Dept. Director is away as well, so it's me making sure everybody is working, and nothing goes off the rails.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #15  
I vant to draw your blood

Oh, Weezle, I can so relate to the BIG THREE phobias! For a very brief time, dh, infant dd and I lived in Altus, Oklahoma. (Hint: smack in the middle of tornado alley). We were renting a house that had had a series of single Air Force guys living in it. You think they ever went down to clean the tornado shelter? Not a chance. After just ONE episode of having to go down there, brave the dark, the spiders and other multi-legged critters, and a tornado warning, I told dh I was leaving and moving back to earthquake country...with him or without him.

Mamacita
Closed Thread