Old 08-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Hello!

Amanda Panda recommended that I stop over here to introduce myself.

I have yo-yo'd for years and years, and have been overweight 30 of my 38 years of life. I am so tired of being fat! There is this little thin person inside of me screaming to get free and I really think it is high time to let her out!

I weight somewhere in the vicinity of 278lbs. But as I explained in another post, I quit smoking 9 weeks ago, something I never, ever thought I'd be able to do, so now I am feeling empowered. I would rather smoke then eat, so now I just have to focus the eating attention on something else.

I'd be interested to hear your suggestions or what has worked for you on how to stay motivated. At times, I feel like "I've been this way forever, so who cares if I stay this way?" I know, deep inside, that I care. There are things I would like to do that weight is stopping me from doing. How terrible to get to the end of this life and say "I could have experienced that if I had just had better control over food and exercise."

A little about me...I'm married and we just celebrated our 6th anniversary. My hubby has a bigger weight problem then I do and I'm hoping that he will follow me into weight loss the same way he followed me into not smoking. We have two boys, both adopted, who have been with us now for just over a year. The oldest is 9 and has ADHD (talk about challenges!) and my youngest is 4 and behind in his speech, but he is coming along with leaps and bounds. My children are another reason I want to lose weight as there are things I would like to be able to do with them.

I chose my nickname, LakeGirl, because one of my favorite things to do is race across the lake in a speed boat. I love the water, well, natural water anyway. I've never been big on pools, but love lakes and the ocean. I am also a huge animal lover and work in a veterinary office.

I'm looking forward to getting to know each of you and to helping each other in our journeys!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:07 PM   #2  

Hiya Lakegirl hun! Glad you decided to come on into our "weightloss waters" Welcome, we look forward to hearing from you more often.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:27 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Glad you are here Lakegirl. This is a great group of people and a great place for support.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Welcome, LakeGirl! Isn't Amanda just lovely? It's very nice to have you join us -- I think you'll find we're a pretty supportive and motivated group, with so much success, so much knowledge, and an ENORMOUS amount of kindness and enthusiasm! You are truly welcome, and I look forward to getting to know you better as we move forward in our journeys!

And CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!!!!! That is SO wonderful!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #5  

Lakegirl, Welcome!! I to quite smoking not to long ago. Sept. 1, it will be 8 weeks for me. I had been losing weight before then and gained back 9 pounds of the 44 I had lost. I've now lost 3 of that 9. There for a bit I did not think I was going to be able to get my eating back under control. Alas, after knocking myself upside the head a few times it all came back.

Sometimes it is so hard to keep motiviated. This forum is a great resource for motivation though. I find tons of it here. There is always plenty of it to go around. I also find that exercise really motivates me. It also makes me feel better and calms down my cravings to eat when I should not. I stick to mostly walking.

Congratulations on quitting smoking!! I try to keep positive by thinking that if I can quit smoking I can surely lose weight. Both take huge self-control and will-power.

I look foward to seeing you around.

Edit: Date change.

Last edited by Tammy32; 08-24-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:06 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Tammy, I think it's so cool that you put your quit smoking date in your siggy.......you go, girl!! Have I told you lately how proud of you I am???
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #7  

My husband was just telling me this morning how proud of me he was to. He's in Korea for a few weeks for a special project and works closely with someone who is a very heavy smoker. The guy was telling he just how hard it is to quit smoking. Is it not odd sometimes that our partners don't believe us but when it is said by someone else they finally see the light?? Anyways, I think he realizes now just how hard it really was. I'm finally becoming proud of myself to. I saw it as a failure for awhile cause it made me gain weight. I'm starting to get past that now.

Lakegirl, Did your husband quit also??
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #8  
missaprylj

Welcome welcome welcome!

Jump right in, this place is full of fantastic people. We have some *real* gems around these parts. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and hear what you have to say. Don't be shy!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi Lake Girl! Welcome to our little piece of the world here. Congratulations on the smoking! That was a healthy choice indeed! Please, post often!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:38 PM   #10  
Losin' it forever!

Default Thank you!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I already know it is a wonderful blessing to be here!

Today, I was not great...however, was not terrible either. The largest victory? All I have drank today is water. Why the largest victory? Because I hate the stuff. People keep telling me that if I drink it enough I will crave it. Let's hope...

There was some chocolate involved today, but the temptation has now been removed. Why? Because I ate it. I do not buy it, because I know myself...if it is in my house, it does not stand a chance. Let me digress for a moment and explain something. I am not an overeater. Actually, I have a small appetite. However, I have the sweet tooth from ****. So this is why I do not willingly invite chocolate into my house. However, my British hubby had his british friends come and visit and they brought Cadburys. Heaven help me! We're not talking Cadburys like you buy in American grocery stores. Nooooo....we are talking the real stuff from England...creamy and....yum! Anyway, it did not stand a chance in my house and I am actually relieved that it is gone.

Okay, so here is my question...how many days a week should I be working out? I belong to the YMCA and they have a great workout room and with school starting tomorrow for my oldest, I see no reason why I cannot get there, but I need routine and thus a schedule. With kids, and job and my youngest's speech therapy, I have to do some juggling to come up with a gym schedule, so first I need to know how many days a week. Will three days assist in weight loss? Ten minutes is more than I am getting now actually, unless cleaning the house constitutes exercise.

Blessings to all and thanks for listening to my ramblings!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Welcome!

Three times a week of cardio for at least a half hour is a good place to start. As you start to lose, then add in weight training a couple of days a week. A class is a good place to start if you like routine.

I've worked up to land and water aerobics for an hour four days a week, weight train three days a week, and walk my dog every day (unless it's pouring down rain). I also stretch for 20 minutes a day. But when I started, it was with walking, and then I added everything else up to my current level. I really encourage you to start weight training at some point--it builds muscle, revs up the metabolism and makes your body look a whole lot better, IMHO.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Welcome LakeGirl

My sister has been trying to quit smoking for 3 years. Hat's off to you!! Well Done! You have come to the right place for your weight loss plan. These guys sure know how to motivate you. Plus when you fall of the wagon and feel really bad they encourage you. It's wonderful!! We all work together. One big happy family. I've been here about 6 weeks. I've lost 10 lbs. I'm using Weight Watchers Pure Point Software for my plan. I really like it.
Racing across the lake on a speed boat sounds like alot of fun! My daughter works in a veterinary office. (she a vet tech) Once again welcome and we look forward to see post from you.
Mez
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #13  
Live for the Moment!

Welcome to our Home LakeGirl!

Make sure to post often and jump right in on the challenges!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome. I'm sure you'll fit right in. My stepson (he'll be 10 in Nov.) is also ADHD. Luckily he's been doing a lot better this year so far.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote