Old 08-24-2004, 02:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Exclamation WAY off topic! I killed a spider the size of my HAND!

It was so scary and huge, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I was just laying on the couch watching the 11pm news, and I look over by the TV, and there is a SPIDER THE SIZE OF MY PALM! It was so scary and icky and it gives me the chills just thinking about it! Infact, I pretty much refuse to take off my shoes, should another one appear and I need to kill it as well. Anyways, thats my story, ewwwww!!!!!!
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

OMG!!! I hate those things being small let alone the size of my hand!!! I don't know what I would have done. I'm pretty sure my scream wouldn't of killed it.
Your one brave cookie!!
Mez
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:50 AM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

You were brave ~eewwwww and yuck!!!! I broke my finger once in my panic to kill one. (I don't like them ~ but my husband hates them more, so I am the bug killer in my house.) I had the shoe in my hand, and I slammed down so hard on it ~ my finger was all swollen and bruised after that episode. Now a days, I use the vaccume cleaner to get 'em. I run and get that fast and suck 'em up. Then I put a sandwich bag over the end and rubber band it so the darn thing can't get back out to terrorize me. LOL
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:33 PM   #4  

Gayle - I LOVE your story I suspect my boyfriend doesn't like spiders either, because he refuses to get up and kill them for me

So my story continues! I woke up at like 7am REALLY thirsty, so I got some water and was drinking it in the kitched, and I looked up, there was a daddy long legs, a big one, I swore a few times, and got my bf's shoe and killed it too. This one was easy to kill. But that one earlier?? It was the hugest spider I've ever seen in my life, not only that, it looked like one of those ones with a huge body and tiny thick legs, but 3 times the size of it.... I'm going to kill every spider in my house today, and, I'm going to distroy every spider web too!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:44 PM   #5  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

You guys are making me laugh....as much at my tree and animal-hugging self as at you guys! I can completely relate to getting the willies from them, but I really psych myself up, and then I try to catch them and let them out in my garden. Seriously. I just feel so badly when I kill anything, or see anything killed or hurt.

Anyway, I'm glad you survived it! (And Gayle, hope your hand healed ok! Jeez, what an ordeal! )
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I just thought of something funny. Sometimes if one is just too, TOO creepy -- and of course, I still don't want it to die just because I'm creeped out and want it out of my house -- I'll ask my DP, Lorraine, to get it and take it outside. I have to supervise now, because she finally confessed to me that a few times when I asked her afterwards if it had made it outside ok and she'd replied, "Uh huh," she was lying her pants off. As soon as she was alone with them, she'd immediately squash them, but she knew that I'd be bummed out, so she figured lying to me was easier! The ole "what she doesn't know won't hurt her" routine.

So now I try harder to do it myself, and if it's just too, too much.....I'll stand watch and get the door while she does it.

Now, in all fairness, it should be said that I am the official remover of all dead bodies from our 80-gallon fish tank, no matter what the size.......fair's fair.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

terrified of spiders here. you are FAR braver than i am, darlin..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #8  

OMG, you guys actually use shoes to kill them?????? **** that's way to close to my hand for my comfort. I had one of the huge furry spiders in my kitchen last week and first I put the cat in charge of it, but being the lazy furball that she is nothing happened so I got a broom and slapped that thing until it's guts oozed all over my floor of course I was screaming the whole time
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:16 PM   #9  
missaprylj

Spiders are creepy buy "unidentified bugs" scare me even more.

Hey, this gives me an idea......
Old 08-24-2004, 02:37 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

This spider talk reminds me of an episode in high school. Forgive me for my trip down memory lane. My girlfriend then was terrified of spiders ~ everyone knew it and kind of teased her. One day in band, some of the kids cooked up this idea to surprise Norma. They got a rubber spider and attached some thread to it ~ they ran the thread up into the rafters, and then at a certain point during band that afternoon, they slowly unreeled the string and let the spider come down in front of her. The funniest part was that the whole band including the director knew about it ~ waiting in breathless anticipation for this to take place ~ if you can imagine 100 kids keeping a secret like that.... It was great. It is one of those memories that lives on and is fondly recalled at class reunions.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #11  
Abby's Mommy

OMG!! You all are SSOOO funny!!Im over here laughing my A$$ off!! I've got one too.
--When I was 1 week away form having my daughter (9 months and HUGE) I could barley even waddle myself around the house. One night while I was in the shower,(DH was at work) I spotted a huge water bug in the shower with me. I started FREAKING out, jumped out of the shower (shampoo still in my hair), and ran butt naked for the broom, got it and started squishing that poor bug with all my might! When I told DH about it, he laughed and laughed and asked me why I didnt just soo it back down the drain! Yeah Right!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:28 PM   #12  

I let spiders live with me in the bathroom, and I TALK to them, heh. I say "okay, you can stay up there in the corner, but the second you come down, I'm going to have to kill you... so if you want to stay alive.. you should stay up there". Most of the time they listen, others just don't seem to get it! When I go into "spider killing mode", I always wear platform sandles, short shorts, and a t-shirt with a jacket overtop. This is so I can FEEL it climbing up my legs, and if I should need to kill it by stepping on in (I rarely do - my bf wears size 13 shoes, very useful!) And the jacket is so I can run outside when I get too freaked out... LOL

Sarah - I was once laying on the couch with an extreme sunburn, couldn't move without it hurting, and I noticed a spider climbing up the blanket towards me. I freaked out, and called my mom over, who went to get something to capture it, with the plans of releasing it outside (she's like you, doesn't like to kill things). Well, she brings a glass, and the little thing tries to escape her, and in the process of catching it, she rips off 2 of its legs! Of course she had to kill it then, thats just not fair to the spider. Hehe, your story reminded me of that..