Old 08-22-2004, 10:41 PM   #1  
and Cody too!

S/C/G: 265/245/165

Height: 5'6"

Default A couple questions...

I was just wondering how long it took before you feel smaller? I have lost 25 lbs and I don't really feel any different. Not smaller or healthier or anything.

Another one...
Once I started losing weight I noticed a huge stretch mark on my side.. This thing is like 5 inches long and really red. I though that maybe I hadn't noticed it before, but in my before and during pics I have taken it is obviously growing. What is up with that?
JennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Are you sure it's a stretch mark and not a skin infection? Sometimes, if you have loose skin, water and sweat and stuff gets in the folds and causes a fungal infection. (Of course, it usually burns and smells funky, too.)
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

If you lose weight too fast you can get stretch marks, how quickly are you losing your weight?
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #4  
and Cody too!

I am pretty sure it is a stretch mark. It looks like all the other ones, and feels the same too. I guess when I go to the doctor this week I could have her look at it. I never even thought that it could be anything else.

Edit: I have lost 25 lbs since June 21.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

JennasMom- Feeling smaller will come differently for all of us, depending on how much you need to lose. I started really feeling it about 2 months into it. I looked smaller but still didn't feel as if I had really made a mark. After I lost 30 lbs it seemed like my body was changing on a daily basis and after 50lbs I really began to take notice. Now every single pound lost seems to have an effect on both the way I feel and look.

You are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work. You will start to feel smaller very soon! I guarentee it!

As for the stretch marks, don't be alarmed.. Swimgirl is right. When you lose weight it seems a no matter what pace, the stretchies seem to get bigger. I have them everywhere! The good thing is that eventually the redness should go away and although they will still be there becuase I don't think they've quite found the remedy for ridding them, they will be much lighter and less noticeable, in my experience at least!

L
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:39 AM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

When I lost weight the first time.. it was right around 25 lbs that I started to really feel smaller! What made the difference for me was a new outfit. If you are still wearing your old baggy "fat" clothes you will still feel fat. It's time to go shopping. Even if you don't have money - go try on some clothes. 25 lbs is great, infact it's amazing.

Don't even get me started on stretch marks!! LOL

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:32 AM   #7  
i see the stars in me

i've lost almost 40 lbs and i only notice a slight change so i understand where u r coming from sweetie.
faded_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:46 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

My stretch marks became more noticeable as I was losing - I guess it's just part of the process. I'll take it -- it beats the alternative, and they are already fading.

As for when I started to feel smaller, well that's a loaded question. I felt it in my clothing maybe 25 pounds into it, but it wasn't until maybe 40 pounds into it that I *physically* felt like a smaller person. Now at 57 pounds into it, I seem to feel every few pounds' impact, even though I'm still a heavy person at 227. I'd imagine this feeling will just increase exponentially the farther I progress in my loss. At the same time, though, I still see a big woman when I look in the mirror, and sometimes I just look huge to myself -- I know that even on a good day, when I'm feeling really good about how I look and am proud to be down to a size 18, I know that I don't look as small to myself as I do to others. I'm just not objective. Apparently this is common, and it may be what you're experiencing as well.

My advice is to just give it time.....you're just about to turn a corner, and you'll feel smaller very soon, I'm sure of it. I agree wholeheartedly with Charbar -- try on some new clothes and see how they fit.....that was a real eye-opener for me, and soooooooo motivating!! It gave me a real boost, psychologically.

Just be patient, you're going to feel all kinds of changes really soon, I'm sure.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

I totally agree on getting some new clothes or at least try some on. I've got 2 new pairs of shorts that I love wearing. My older clothes are big and baggy (almost to the point of falling off on their own) and I notice when I wear them that I look fatter than when I wear the clothes that actually fit me. the summer clothes are going on sale now and I will probably buy me a couple more pairs of shorts in a 22 and then get me some in a 16 and 14 for next year.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #10  
Losing Again!

I've lost around 85 pounds and I still have lots of days when I still don't feel any smaller. They are getting fewer and farther between, but it still happens. The only thing I can think to say is to just keep up the hard work and eventually your mind will catch up with your body.
Daners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:31 PM   #11  
and Cody too!

I guess I could go look at some new clothes. I don't really see a difference in the clothes I wear now, but I think it is because I like the jeans that have a little stretch to them so maybe I am just not noticing.

I was talking to my DH about the big ol' stretch mark and he said maybe it is like a balloon, when you write on one and deflate it the lines get darker. So maybe I am am just deflating, lol!
Old 08-23-2004, 01:35 PM   #12  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

That is just the coolest analogy......I think he may be on to something! I suggest telling him to kiss it and make it better.....
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:14 PM   #13  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I felt lighter after my first week. I guess it's just a mind thing. Just from eating better and having a clearer thought process because I knew I was doing something good for myself.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #14  
Abby's Mommy

#1--I felt lighter when I had to but smaller clothes. I really recommend buying at least 1 new thing--it doesnt have to be expensive--jsut to show your self your progress.
#2--I have really gross stretchies from my pregnancy that just wont go away! The more I tan, the lighter they seem to get. I dont understand!?!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hhmm, I don't really remember, but I think it was more toward the 50 lb. mark for me. I was several sizes smaller then, but it still didn't feel smaller.

Stretch marks. I must be incredibly susceptible to them because I started getting them when I was in high school because I gained weight going into puberty. After kids, well, it was pretty hopeless plus now I have a scar from my recent appendectomy and a scar from my hysterectomy. I look upon all that now as my road map of life!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote