Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #1  

Default bread question

I'm wondering if any of you out there could recommend a brand of bread? I want something along the lines of whole grain or whole wheat (something with nutrients and fiber, unlike white bread). I just get to the bread isle in the grocery store and I don't know what to buy!! I know a lot of the bread companies put "whole wheat" on their packaging as a marketing tool, even though it's about the same glycemic number as white bread. Any suggestions/recommendations??
Old 08-11-2004, 03:10 PM   #2  

Look for whole grain - and you will be able to see specks of it in the bread - read the ingredients. These breads are usually dense. I like Arnolds or Cobblestone Mills or Pepperidge Farm. Lots of fiber in these.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:17 PM   #3  

Yeah, I would look on the nutrition facts and try to find the bread with the highest amount of fiber.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:58 AM   #4  

where do you find LOW calorie whole wheat bread? the only brand i found was orowheat's 100% lite wheat. and that was the only kind of bread in p&w!! i couldnt find it in trader joes or smart and finals and anything!! please helppp
Old 08-18-2004, 01:06 AM   #5  

walmart carries healthline, and something called vegifiber or something... Healthline sugar free whole wheat has 40 cal/slice and the other has 35 cal. Oh, and i am a big fan of these tortillas by "la tortilla factory" or something like that, but anyway, they make a whole wheat, garden herb, and garlic/green onion blends that are soft like wraps and have only 50 cal/each...oh and they're low carb
Old 08-18-2004, 07:35 PM   #6  

I eat Alvaro's (spelling??) Organic Sprouted bread. I'm not sure if your store carries it. I like the multi-grain (& it doesn't contain white flour like so many other "multi-grain" breads do). Sprouted grains are supposed to contain more vitamins, fiber, etc.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #7  

Default best bread ever

as an admitted bread junkie trying to cut refined whites of any kind out of the old diet i now swear by this bread:
http://www.food-for-life.com/index.asp
(i noticed someone else mentioned sprouted bread too... mmm. sprouted)
i usually get the sesame bread. it's awesome toasted. you can find it in whole foods or wild oats for sure and most chain grocery stores carry it as well (in the freezer section). you can check availability in your area through the link above.
cheers!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #8  
it's always something

Thanks for the link, those breads sound good! I've never tried sprouted bread, though I've seen it in the freezer section of our local supermarket. Looks interesting

I like to make my own bread. When I buy it, though, I love Cobblestone Mill brand. I'm not sure if it is available everywhere, though. That's one of the problems with recommending bread, is that many of the brands are regional.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #9  

Hi, I try to eat organic foods as much as I can, very expensive though! lol anyways at my local Whole Foods Market they sell Spelt bread. is so good! it has a lot more fiber than whole wheat and it wheat free, if you happen to be allergic to wheat (my daughter is). This bread is really yummy and fills you up. Ok I hope this helps!
Closed Thread