South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 02:05 PM   #1  

Default Chinese Takeout Advice

Hey Ya'll-

I am in charge of picking up chinese takeout for a movie night with my new beau (very excited). This coincides with my restarting Phase I, Day 2. I've never been a rice person so that's not an issue for me. Other than steamed veggies, do ya'll have any ideas? I adore egg rolls and egg drop soup.

Hope you're having a wonderful day!
~VT
Old 08-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #2  

Make sure you get your takeout from a place that does not use MSG. MSG is not allowed. I don't know of any way that you can eat egg rolls, sorry. I usually get a dish with shrimp and steamed vegetables. Try not to get the cornstarch that is in a lot of the dishes with a white sauce. You could ask them to leave the sauce off. If you are going to be eating this at home, you could then add your own low sodium soy sauce.

Is there someone who can take a peek at the GF/GC book? I seem to recall it has a section at the end about eating Chinese but I'm at work now and don't have my copy. I know we talked about Chinese food before but I think it has been a month or so.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #3  

I LOVE getting Chinese food. Chinese restaurants are reliable: no matter where you are, the Chinese restaurants have a lot of fresh veggies and a steamer in the kitchen. You certainly can't say that about barbecue joints OR French bistros. Chinese restaurants offer your choice of lean proteins, and there are plenty of sauces to choose from to keep the flavors interesting. Order any entree you like--just remember to say "steamed with sauce on the side, please!" I substitute brown rice for the white, but you can always say you'd rather not have any rice. If you're lucky, your restaurant will allow you to personalize your order: instead of chicken with garlic sauce, make it chicken and scallops. Instead of garlic sauce, use the General Tso's sauce on your steamed chicken. Keep the sauce on the side, and drizzle it on your food by the teaspoon. Have fun and good luck with the new beau!!
Old 08-17-2004, 03:13 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Mara, I think that is so inspiring! I have been staying away from Chinese food because I am so nervous of messing up with it!

The GFGCG says that Egg Drop soup is a good choice (yay for VT! ), and to get steamed veggies with lean protein, and to ask for things prepared without any cornstarch or MSG. I would look up the sauces online to see if they have sugar...I think all of them do (but hopefully I am wrong!).

Enjoy, VT! Good to see you around! So, tell us about this new beau?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:28 PM   #5  
cac

Just one more suggestion - ask for double portion of chicken (or what ever protien you get). I can do this for an additional $1. it is well worth it.

cac
Old 08-17-2004, 04:16 PM   #6  

Default Hurrah

Thanks chickies! Steamed shrimp and chicken with veggies sound great. I can put a little olive oil on them at home and I'll be quite content.

As for the beau, he has promise. I met him when I was studying for the bar exam. First time our eyes met I knew there was something there, but then I proceeded to spill my venti hot tea all over myself due to a lid malfunction. Good first impression eh? He came in a week later and asked, "you were here last week weren't you?" Insert dumb moment #2 with my reply of, "yeah." He sits down and there is an older gentleman studying in between us. I go for a magazine to take a break and the gentleman says, " I think you two want to talk," gets up and moves away leaving me starting at this guy. Talk about a random matchmaker. We chated for awhile about subjects that really matter and by the end of the night he asked for my number. We've been on a few dates over the past month and this weekend he actually asked if I would be his girlfriend. Very cute in a jr. high kind of way.

Now I have even more of an incentive to lose weight and keep fit and healthy!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

VT, what an awesome story!!! :

I hope you have a wonderful date with your new BF!!! (my DH asked me the same thing when we started dating...it was very sweet. )
Old 08-17-2004, 05:45 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh... that is such a sweet story!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:35 PM   #9  
Faith in me

awww...sounds like a good idea for a chick flick.....I love stories like that!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #10  

The book says to start with Hot and sour soup... or a clear crab or chicken soup..... followed with steamed fish with ginger and spring onions.. or any combination of steamed vegies, prepared with small amounts of meat, poultry or seafood.
Stir-fried dishes SHOULD be healthy, but often are not........ so request MINIMUM of fat is used.

Stay away from steamed rice. deep-fried crispy noodles, spring rolls, fried dumplings, spareribs, chow mein, peking duck and dishes described on the menu as "cripsy" or "sweet & sour". Ask that your food is prepared WITHOUT MSG. and inquire about sauces made without cornflour.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:41 AM   #11  

I am glad that hot and sour soup is SBD friendly. I go to a restaurant that makes the BEST hot and sour soup.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:09 AM   #12  

Hurrah, had great night and ate relatively good. I ordered steamed shrimp and veggies with egg drop soup. I stayed clear of the egg rolls, but tried a little of some mystery terriyaki sauce. Thanks chickies.
Closed Thread