Old 08-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #32

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is another COLD day in my corner of the world! It was 44° this morning when I left the house. I spent two hours at the doctor's office, for a glucose test, and they had the air on. I about froze! I'm glad I wore my jacket or I really would have been miserable!

My next project is to put a cupboard back together that I tore apart yesterday. It is a corner cupboard that should have had a lazy susan in it but doesn't because that is where the chimney pipe is located. I found lots of interesting things: 3 new cans of Pledge (don't ask me why because I don't remember buying them so they must be OLD), lots of empty glass jars that have gone to recycle heaven, and some Tupperware lids that I accused DH of throwing away on purpose! I did apologize to him! I think I will move the rest of my Tupperware down there so Maddy has a cupboard to play in. She could crawl in, shut the door, and we'd never know she was in there.

Maggie -- I had no trouble getting into the site. I wonder why you can't. Thank you for the emails!

"Gma" -- What kind of a car do you have? Perhaps I should be more careful driving around this town! Does your state charge different prices for license plates, according to what kind of car you have? When we lived in Ohio, everyone paid the same no matter what kind of car you drove. In Iowa, it depends on the kind of car -- farm vehicles are cheap while expensive cars are $500 and up. I could "do" a mouse, have had the fish, hamsters, and gerbils, not so sure about a rat though. I draw the line at a reptile of any kind and get the shivers just thinking about them! Have fun at the birthday dinner! I love the Olive Garden and get to go once a year when we are in MN.

I need to get busy! I hope you all have a fantastic Friday the 13th!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #2  

JEAN: Sounds like you had quite a treasure hunt! We had quite a nice time at dinner even getting my sil a birthday cake with T eating most of it! He had fudge frosting all over his face and was so cute. Oh, we have a Mercury Grand Marquis, which has a 5 star crash/safety rating so I guess maybe that is why the damage was not really serious. All I know is I don't want to do THAT again! Our tags are $103 and if not for this big tax they hook you for to pay for this stupid Fedex Forum complex here they would be about $35. That's not bad considering Indiana's were based on how big and how old the car and you paid excise tax accordingly. If we had bought the Marquis in Indiana our tax would probably BE that $500 a year. At least the inspections are free. Virginia has a tough inspection and it costs or did about $30 bucks every year plus having to fix this and that. Ours is mostly lights and turn signals, and omissions. Virginia, they checked tires, brakes the works and they had to be top notch and back then we were poor as church mice and always dreaded it every year because we knew we would have a repair of some kind.

Hey, I breezed right through Friday never even realizing it was the 13th! I guess I had my "13th" on Thur, huh?

I bought the prettiest comforter "bed in a bag" deal at Wally's. My bedroom is gray and maroonish red with one wall being stripped gray and red. I found a floral type comforter set all in the exact shades of gray and red and it looks great for less than a $100 bucks with pillow shams, full set of sheets, dust ruffle and comforter. The one I had been looking at was going to cost about $300 just for the comforter and dust ruffle. Glad I found this one.

Have a great Lord's day ladies and Jean keep warm!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:21 AM   #3  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
Well, it is time for bed but I wanted to check in here before I go.

It was another cool and windy day in my corner of the world. We picked up Maddy yesterday afternoon and brought her home with us to spend the night. She woke up in the middle of the night but DH says she talked to herself for a half hour or so. I was so tired I didn't hear her. We traveled to MIL's in time for dinner and a visit with MT relatives. They are freezing in our weather and the wind was so bad that we couldn't take the boat out again this weekend. I'm sure they are wondering if the 12+ hour drive was worth it. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and Tuesday and they are leaving on Wednesday.

"Gma" -- Sounds like your birthday party was a fun one. Kids always add to the festivities for sure. Take a picture of your new bedroom look -- it sounds very pretty. Iowa used to have car inspections but I don't think we do anymore. At least I don't think so. We pay the high license fees . . I hate writing that check!

Maggie -- Hope you are able to get back in here soon!

I am off to bed! Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:56 AM   #4  

Morning ladies.

I got over in the pool again this am and it was so cold. It is the only time that I dread it. Oh well, it is something that has to be done and I am not going back to walking until I absolutely have to. We are supposed to have a turn around in weather and warm back up into the 90's again, but it will take a week of hot weather to warm up the pool any I am afraid and that means overnight temps have to be up and they have been in the 50's.

I am including a pic of the bedroom so you can see it. Now if we can get flooring replaced it will look pretty good. I am sure it has ever been replaced and is pretty sorry looking.

Maggie: Hope you have figured out why you can't get into the site and will be back with us soon. We have become so tiny now that if all three of us don't post everyday it is kind of ost feeling!

Jean: Sounds like you had a busy weekend again. We didn't do a lot yesterday but I had a lot of errands on Saturday to try and get done. We have yet to have any family or friends venture down here except our son. My sister keeps insisting she is moving here when she retires. We shall see. Her dh has MS and is getting worse and worse so I know the warmer weather might be tough on him. When does school start for you? Our kids went back the 9th.

Well, I need to go and get a shower.

Faye
Old 08-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
Well, today is my last "official" day of summer vacation and I'm trying to get as much done as possible. The washer and dryer have been humming away this morning and I've removed some of the piles that accumulated over the weekend. Looks like I will have some carry over on my "to do" list but I look at that as job security. I mentioned that to DH last night and all I got was a raised eyebrow look and no comment.

"Gma" -- Your new bedroom look is pretty spiffy! Is your wall painted or paper? I like it! My DH's sister was diagnosed with MS in 1978 and the doctors at Mayo told her to move to a warmer climate. They moved to AZ and she got along pretty well for many years. She is very careful about getting overtired and finally resigned from her job, as being a counselor in a school, a couple of years ago. She had a principal that was a witch (her words, not mine) and she asked to be transferred to another school but supposedly there were no openings. She is now taking a new experimental therapy which is by injection. She lives with my MIL which is probably good for both of them. I start workshop days tomorrow and the students come back next Monday. I've been told my schedule will be different this year so I have some mixed feelings about that.

Maggie -- I don't see you yet! Hope you are able to return SOON!

I need to get back to my chores. Hope you all are having a good Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-16-2004, 03:32 PM   #6  

Jean: We painted that wall. We started doing it the proper way by using a chalk line but found it just wouldn't do right so dh did it by sight and only made one mistake and that is covered by the bed at the bottom. I don't think he will ever volunteer to do it again though!!!! At one time, I wanted to paint the hall upstairs using 3 colors of green and doing this plaid effect but I gave that up when I found out how much work it is. (saw it on the BBC version of trading spaces a couple years ago)

My bil is in a scooter permanently now, has bowel and bladder control issues and falls a lot. He has a real problem with heat as it tires him out so and with our humidity I am sure it would exhaust him. The thing is, just a half mile from here is a retirement community that is gated, all on one floor and most likely handicap accessible. As they have had to call the fire department numerous times to help get him up when he falls ( he is probably 250 or so and pretty tall,) it would be good because we have two fire stations within 3 miles of us each way and the hospital is 5 miles from our condos so it is about 4.5 from the retirement community. She is pretty serious about moving so I may get her some info from their rental office. She turns 65 in 5 years and he in 7 years. The house is pd for so if they would sell it and invest they could probably do ok for their retirement years and they would be closer to me. She has had a pretty rough life with her first husband being 20 years older than she, alcoholic and abusive and committed suicide when the kids were teenagers. She married this man knowing he had MS but he was totally mobile then and I figure she didn't want to be alone anymore, which I can understand. Now she is the total breadwinner, is in a poor paying job that she can't quit because she needs benefits for them medically.

Well, Jack will be home soon so I better git!

Faye
Old 08-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Arrow Troublesome Times

Howdy

Well I got on but it is with my old dinosaur of a laptop that would probably be faster if I could use a crank insted of electricity. It took me 20 minutes to get here and now when I type I type two whole lines before I can even see what I type. The problem lies with my comuter and if I want to get in here I will just have to wait till I have a good block of tiime and use this one since none of the experts hve a clue what happend to give my big one a glitch. Right now I have to go fix dinner so hope later I can come try this again. I am thinking I might take this little jewel down and see if they can speed it up a tad.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:38 PM   #8  

Talking

Maggie -- I am so glad to see you here! I hope your big computer decides to cooperate sooner rather than later! Is there any place that works on computers that might be able to figure out the problem for you? That is so weird!

"Gma" -- I feel so fortunate to have basically good health! I don't think I could ever talk my DH into painting any kind of pattern for me! First of all he hates to paint and secondly, I don't think there is a straight wall in this whole house!

It has turned off very humid and a bit warm this evening. The thunder is rolling in and there are storm warnings out. Guess I will go watch the swimmers for a bit.

Have a terrific Tuesday and think of me sitting in a boring building meeting. We are all capable of reading the items on the agenda but still go over each and every one.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 08-16-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 AM   #9  

Morning ladies.

Whooee, we have a storm brewing in the government here again. I know you have probably seen all the stuff that went on with the Iraqi delegation that the stupid head of the city council refused to allow into the building and then said if they came in he would follow it with the bomb squad. Of course after all the brouhaha he is backtracking and lying his teeth off. Now the jerk of a mayor has again fired another police chief and his second in command and told them to clear their desk immediately. This guy is crooked and as power hungry as you can get. He has been through SIX chiefs since he took office and it is all power related. He pulled up a week ago behind some police officers giving someone a traffic ticket in which they found drugs in the car and the mayor reamed them about being too slow and fooling around. Believe me, in this city cops do not pull some one over and "fool around." Until the dopes here vote him out we are going to continue to have these problems. Sheesh!

Jean: I will be thinking of you today going item by item on your agenda. Don't you just hate when they treat you like kindergarteners?

Maggie: Hope you get your computer up and running right.

I have to take the car to the adjuster this morning so we will see what comes of that. I wish Jack could have done this because women don't seem to get fair treatment when it comes to automobiles. Jack says they know what they are doing and it will be ok.

I better get going and get a few things done before i have to go over there.

Faye
Old 08-17-2004, 07:14 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
Well, I survived the day in spite of being read to all morning and trying to get class schedules set up this afternoon! Tomorrow is a special ed. meeting all morning and maybe I'll get some classroom work done in the afternoon. Thursday is an all day "team" meeting for NCLB and Friday is our district wide meeting in the morning and another get together in our individual schools for emergency rules and regs. I'm not sure when they think we will get our rooms finished and ready for the troops on Monday.

DH is spending the day with his brother from MT so I am home alone. Guess I will check out the kitchen for a supper something. I meet with the dietician tomorrow so am thinking a donut sounds so good!

"Gma" -- It sounds like maybe you need a new mayor in your corner of the world! I hope you got good service when you took your car in!

Maggie -- I think it would be nice if you got your birthday present about 7 1/2 weeks EARLY!

I am off to find some food! Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 AM   #11  

Jean: Donuts, huh? They are a true weakness of mine. Like Lay's potato chips say, I can't eat just one! Sounds like the rest of your week is going to be very busy. Never enough time I guess no matter what.

The adjuster went great yesterday and he was very nice. Answered all my questions and everything. It is sure easier than it used to be with the 3 estimates stuff and all that. He just takes photographs, writes it up and voila issues a check or in my case they mail me a check when I decide who we are going to have do the work since the car has a lien they have to issue to us as well as either the lien holder or the body shop. I also only have to call the day before we take it in and they will have Enterprise have a car for us to use along with Enterprise billing Geico directly, which is cool.

Yes, our government is a total mess here. It is all power politics hidden behind smiling faces. Reminds me of Chicago! There is a lot of dirty stuff here. We have a guy who just 2 days ago went to prison for embezzlement but get this, he was allowed to retire with his pension and knowing he was going to turn 55 and his pension would double, got one of his cronies to put him back on the county payroll the day he turned 55 so he could double his pension! We have city and county mayor here and the county mayor knew nothing about this and blew his stack when he found out. It just goes on and on. They now want to increase our property taxes because of cost overruns on the behemouth Fedex forum they built here to the tune of $250 million. That combined with the fact the last thing they built we still owe $20 million on you can imagine what property taxes etc are here.

Well, I need to get going for the morning.

Later

Faye
Old 08-18-2004, 06:58 PM   #12  

Hello Flowers!
I'm just peeking in quickly as my isp keeps dumping me off. I either get a constant busy signal or if I get connected, it's only for a short time before it breaks the connection. "They will check into it!" Yea, right!

It looks like I am going to have the schedule from HE** and I will leave it at that for the time being. I came home with a major headache and then to have the stupid internet screwy just made my day. NOT!

I hope you all have a great day tomorrow. I will try to come back later.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 AM   #13  

Jean: Hope your headache is better and you can adjust to that lousy school schedule. I know dealing with special ed kids has got to be doubly difficult because in this day and age it is more trouble makers and less special needs kids.

I was having trouble with my contacts so I got up and took them off but my one eye is still bothering me so I decided to get up for awhile and see if it would quite being scratchy. I thought maybe it had dried out from the fans in our bedroom. We use fans including the AC on a higher temp to try and keep our utilities within the "not go broke" range.

Maggie: Sure wish you could get whatever messed you up straightened out and back on here.

Bubs and Gloria we miss you guys too!

I will check back in tomorrow morning. Everyone have a good night

Faye
Old 08-19-2004, 01:15 PM   #14  
Web Nana

[SIZE=3]GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS[/SIZE3]

A hazy, warm Thursday but there is a wonderful breeze blowing that has taken away the humidity.

MAGGIE: I sympathize with your computer problems...hope they are resolved soon and to your satisfaction. I have been having more problems with mine. 1st it would not hold the internet connection and then last night it would not let me shut down. I had to pull the plug. Today my computer "nerd' neighbor...and that is his discription of himself, just got me up and running. Had to down load the 'support 2' pack from HP. Hope that takes care of this puter for a while. It is new, December, and so many problems. Your neck of the woods has been having many fires....I hope they are not too close.

JEAN: School, it doesn't seem possible that you are starting a new year. I hope that the schedules difficulties can be straightened out so you will not be too stressed!

FAYE: Oh DEER! Not a fun thing to have happen but glad you are all right and the car can be fixed. Your bedroom looks beautiful. I only wish my walls were in good enough condition so we could paint. We have to wallpaper and that is so expensive.

Have had a crazy summer and the weather has been crazy too. Lots of rain lately. DH has taken advantage of a rather dry day to mow back and front lawn. I Just heard the mower stop so must get some cold lemonade for him.

Gloria in MA....keeping in touch.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am still playing "get connected and stay connected" with my isp. It's making me very "GRRRRRRRRRY!"

I didn't go to school today because we weren't authorized according to an email from the special ed. director. So I guess what doesn't get done just doesn't get done. We will have about an hour tomorrow, after the meetings are finished and if we are lucky, to work in our rooms. I can see the lineup at the copy machine already.

Gloria -- It's good to see you today! My schedule will most likely stay as it is and the worst part being that I switch rooms each hour. I will make my unhappiness known when the time is right. I just won't have time to correct papers because I will be traveling!

"Gma" -- Hope your eye is better! I hate wearing my glasses and I can't read very well with them because I've worn contacts too long.

I have had one of those days where the hurrier I went the behinder I got. I have much to do before I head for bed so I'd better get moving.

Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!