Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 07:32 AM   #1  
solitas...lacuna

Default Trying to balance my diet...

I'm much too carby and low on protein. I am looking for some protein-rich snacks that aren't too high in fat or calories. I was thinking something good might be some 98% fat free thin sliced deli-ham, spread with a little fat-free cream cheese and low-fat soft swiss, sprinkled with chives and rolled into a little log might be a good snack. Anyone else have any suggestions?

(beans and eggs are out for me, unfortunately)
Old 08-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #2  

1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 1/4 cup diced celery (or more) and 1 T. chopped nuts.

Celery sticks with peanut butter or fat free cream cheese - (I mix 1/2 T. peanut butter and 1/2 T. FF cream cheese) still tastes like peanut butter but a whole lot less calories.

Fruit and cheese.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #3  

Trail mix is really high in fat and calories, but costco sells portion controlled packages....and I'm pretty sure its high in protein, but I could be wrong. I also like beef jerkey from Costco.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:25 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnCafeCvooPlay
Trail mix is really high in fat and calories, but costco sells portion controlled packages....and I'm pretty sure its high in protein, but I could be wrong. I also like beef jerkey from Costco.
Yup, you're right, trail mix IS high in fat and calories. Not as high in protein as you think though. (for some reason, folks think that nuts are a high source of protein - they're actually a FAT source, albeit a healthy fat source, but if you're trying to lose weight, I wouldn't recommend eating more than 1/2 oz of nuts per day at MOST - or a tablespoon of natural peanut butter a day - incidentally, peanut butter is around 90% FAT).

A lot of trail mixes also have a ton of sugar in them...I know a lot of folks who believe that trail mix, being natural and all, is healthy. Well, if you're a lean guy who is hiking from Yosemite Valley to Half Dome, then YEAH, trail mix is good - but if you're sitting on your butt in front of the computer all day, I'd recommend rethinking the snacks.

Here are some of my suggestions:

Buy a 24-oz container of cottage cheese, then use a hand blender or food processor to cream it smooth. Add a 6-to-8 oz container of light yogurt (i.e. Dannon Light & Fit or Yoplait Light), some vanilla extract, and Splenda or Equal to taste and blend thoroughly. Now pop that concoction in your work fridge and voila - you have a tasty protein source, ready to go! (I just spoon out some in a paper coffee cup when I'm hungry).

Your ham idea sounds good too. I can't 'do' jerky myself, because it's way too salty - makes me bloat

Another thing I do is keep cooked, sliced chicken at work in the fridge for a quick high-protein snack with some mustard!
Old 08-18-2004, 12:49 AM   #5  

another idea for cottage cheese lovers...mix cottage cheese with a package of dry ranch dip mix...instead of sour cream! Its healthier...and full of the good stuff we're going for!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

TUNA!
and my favourite shake is strawberries, protein powder, a couple of egg whites and flax seed.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For some things you can try to substitute ricotta cheese for cream cheese. It has more protein, although cottage cheese is the best dairy item for protein. What I do is grill boneless skinless chicken and use that as part of my snacks. Also string cheese is a good portion controlled snack.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I like Yves Veggie Dogs dipped in dijon mustard. They're 11 grams of protien and only 50 calories each. (other kinds of fake hot dogs have more fat, calories and/or carbs usually). Or fat free, sugar free yogurt; I buy the small containers so I have automatic portion control. Or homemade roasted red pepper hummus with pepper strips or celery.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:24 AM   #9  

This is something I do with cottage cheese.

!/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
Splenda to taste
1 tbsp. sliced almonds
Vanilla....small amount
Strawberryies, 1 cup....frozen....thaw & add a little Splenda

With a hand held blender for making drinks....use it to make the cottage cheese smooth.
Then stir in the Splenda, sliced almonds & vanilla.
Put the cottage cheese mixture on top of the thawed stawberries......cut the stawberries in pieces first.
A little cinnamon in the cottage cheese mixture is also good.
This is very good

April
Old 10-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #10  
stbakd

popcorn carrot sticks
glen
Closed Thread