South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #1  

Question Broc Cheese Soup Recipe Question

So why do I need to put 1/2 of my soup in a blender?

Editing to add a second question...how do we think this would freeze? I have a TON of broccoli from my garden that is going to go bad. Any other broccoli freezer recipe suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by smilintwins; 08-11-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #2  

You put part of the soup in the blender (or food processor) so it is smoother. Otherwise it is pretty chunky. It also seems to make it seem thicker. I may put more of it in the food processor next time to see if I can get my son to eat it. He didn't like the chunkiness.

I have a serving in the freezer now. It will probably be lunch for tomorrow so I can't tell you how it freezes but I bet it will freeze well. I plan to defrost it before microwaving it so I don't overcook it when I warm it up.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #3  

Thanks Barb.

In my case, do you think chunkier soup would be better for me to try and get the twins to eat it?
Old 08-11-2004, 05:25 PM   #4  

In your case I would try putting half in the blender and seeing if they eat it that way. That would probably be higher in fiber and healthier and the twins are young enough that they might eat it that way. If it turns out that they reject the chunkiness, try smoother next time. The taste was wonderful and I do plan to make it again even if I have to cook something else for Brian.

My son will eat cooked broccoli spears but he isn't crazy about having it in a soup so making it smoother works better. However he is 7 and it is harder to change his preferences
Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks, Barb! You do such a great job of answering questions!

That is exactly right. It's just to make the soup smoother, but I agree, it helps thicken it up, too.

Glad you girls like it. I think this soup is divine! I also love the zucchini patties...you guys should try them with your little ones. If you peel the zucchini first, you can tell them it's potatoes and they will never guess, I promise!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #6  

It is such a good soup! And I can't wait to try the zucchini patties.

As far as your question about how the soup reheats, it was absolutely wonderful! If you have a full bowl and are heating it in the microwave, make sure that you don't heat it too much. Mine made a bit of a mess but the microwave at work only heats on high heat and my soup was still a little frozen in the middle.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #7  

Hi Jen, if you blanch the brocolli you can freeze it and use it as you need it. My sister does this because she often ends up with way too much stuff ripening at the same time. The blanching helps preserve the colour but isn't necessary if its too time consuming. You can just freeze the brocolli from raw.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:27 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 2"

I love broccoli .... going to look for the recipe!
Closed Thread