General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 03:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Question

Hey All!!!!

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this book/ program.

I heard about this on Good Morning America.... Diane Sawyer has lost over 25# on it. I bought the book today and am going to start reading it today.

Let me know if any of you have looked at it.

Thank you
Old 06-03-2001, 11:16 AM   #2  

Hi Everybody.....

Apparently no one has read this book....

I just wanted to update everyone and let them know about this program.....

I am only about half way through this book and so far it is pretty good...... It is a common sense approach to weight lose... no gimmicks... no scams....

Basically he says it is all about numbers......

Calories In - Calories Out= Weight

He shows youy how to find your exact BMR (Basal Metobolic Rate)... the amount of calories you would burn if you laid in bed all day.... then figure your activity level and then figure how many calories you need to maintain your current weight... and then you can figure out how many you dont need to lose weight....

As for exercise.... basiacly he advocates building muscle for it burns more calories... he believes cardio is good and benefical... but you need weight training to build muscles.... he says go to a gym and see how many overweight people are on the cardio... then check out the people that are lifting weights... which ones have a better body...

I have thought that the book is pretty good so far.... maybe you guys can get it at the library and check it out....
Old 06-04-2001, 12:39 PM   #3  

Angry I am reading it too!

Hey Angel,
I am reading the Business Plan for the Body too! Like you I haven't finished the book but it does sound like common sense stuff. Also like you I am right at 190 though I hope to get down to 150/145 since I am 5'8. Maybe we can help each other with the book and that "going public" part which is a thing I always have a hard time with. I don't know how many times I have told people I was going to lose weight and then didn't which isn't fun especially when they ask about your progress and you have to say I'm not doing that anymore or whatever. Urgh!

I have started a food journal which has never been my favorite thing to do but Jim Karas says it is a must so I will do it. Water is also my weak point and I have been working on that. Exercise...yikes! I really enjoy it once I am at the gym but getting off my butt to get there is the real struggle! So as you can see I have a lot of work to do and it would help having a friend to do it with even in cyberworld... so what do you think?

Beth
Old 06-04-2001, 10:35 PM   #4  

Hey Beth,

YEAH!!!!! I am not alone.... would love to go through this with you....

I agree about the journaling... have been in Weight Wathcers in the past and I think the reason it doesnt work besides i dont the point counting is that i am not real good about journaling....

I started yesterday and so far so good with the journaling... I ate 1780 calories yesterday... I also discovered my biggest time is at night which is what I thought but writing it down and all I realize i want food at night.... I dont know my totals yet for today....

As for exercise I too like going to the gym once I am there... but until then... UGH!!!! I have started using the Power 90 video tapes that I think may work well with this program... every other day you do Curcuit (weight lifting) for 30 minutes and then 3 minutes of ab work and then the next day you do 30 minute cardio.... I figure I may on the weight lifting day do the tape and then some of the exercises that he shows in the book.... I do seem to do better at exercising at home right now then going to the gym....

As for telling everyone I am not good at that because like you said I have told people in the past and then when it doesnt come off I feel bad... and I have even had one person become real snide with me and tell me that I was a failure.... and then my mom has said in the past "well I am sure there is some man out there that likes pudgy, smart women"... I just know there was a compliment in there somewhere.....so I dont like telling others at all....

So Beth - I am telling you....
I am in the Weight Lose Business and I intend to become a healthy weight and feel good about myself along the way....

Hope to hear from you soon....
Old 06-06-2001, 02:50 PM   #5  

Hey Angel!

I'm glad you want to buddy up on this plan! Yeah! I'm sorry I didn't respond yesterday...I was fairly busy at work and it slipped my mind until late last night. Here's my mission statement...I am in the weight loss business and I plan to lose 35lbs. by my 29th birthday which is November 27th!

Since Monday (a whopping 3 days!) I have been journaling! That's really good for me! I actually went to Target today and got a little notebook to keep in my purse other than the large notebook that didn't fit in my purse which I left at home today - hence the reason for a purse sized notebook! I am truly amazed at the amount of calories I eat! No wonder I am so big! I have been doing "good" (at least I thought so) and I am still high on the calorie end.

Here's a sample day the best I can remember since I left my journal at home...

Breakfast - oatmeal (2 instant packs)

Snack - orange and diet coke

lunch - HC chic and pasta frozen dinner

snack - single serving size of Hormel chic noodle soup (little microwave can)

dinner - stuffed green pepper (spanish rice with tomatoes and onions) less than an ounce of cheddar on top
corn on the cob w tablespoon butter

snack - serving of baked lays bbq chips

water for the day was a lousy 32oz but I did have about the same of unsweet tea, which I like to think is mostly water...ok ok I need to work on the water part!

So for this day and I can't remember all the individual calorie counts I do know the total was right at 1700! Good gracious! How do people eat under 1000 calories a day!? Which reminds me...in Jim's book I was reading the little blurb about some girl who lost 20lbs in his 10, 10, 10 plan and he said she ate 1000 calories a day and worked out 10 hrs a week and drank tons of water!!! Isn't that unhealthy to eat so little and obviously working out like a mad woman and how did she not lose more unless she was only really 10lbs overweight and her body was fighting to keep that weight on!! I just thought that was an odd bit to the book!

So wow! someone told you that you were a failure at weight loss? Who was this freak!?

I take it you are single as well and you're not alone with the mother's compliments/insults. I have a fear of even trying to find a man until I lose weight because I am terrified of him seeing me naked. (of course this is after a while not on the first date!) I look around at other overweight people and I realize I am not as bad as some and since I am tall I can carry more weight but even so with my low self esteem and fear in my head you'd think I was 500lbs. I limit myself to so many things because of my weight. On top of the not wanting to date, I don't dare go swimming, I don't even own a suit, I don't like to go to the beach for that reason either, I don't like to wear shorts and you'll NEVER see me in a sleeveless top, I don't like to go dancing for fear someone will laugh at my fat rolls swinging on the dance floor, I don't generally like to go out to night clubs and such because everyone is in such cute little outfits and whatnot and I look like a covered-up whale!

I hate that!!! I hate that I feel that way and can't just be myself and the fact that I have the power to change that and haven't is just crazy! URGH!

So now I am going to do something about it. I am ready!

I hope you're still with me...as you can see I have some issues...sorry to drone on like I did. I hope you are having a great day and sticking to your plan...WE are going to do it!!!!
Take care,
Beth
Old 06-06-2001, 07:00 PM   #6  

Dear Beth,

So Glad You Are Here!!!!!!

You are doing good on your journaling. I am do so-so...I keep it in my head but I knwo that until I get it all on paper it is not the same.... I have been putting it down at night and I know I need to write it down when i eat it.... so I am working on that.....

I agree with you about the 1000 calories... I have been trying for the 1200 calories and I do Ok unit dinner and after... then I am starving and eating all night.... I did read somewhere that when you are tired you have a tendency to eat because you think that you will get energy from the food when what you really need is a nap....

As for water the best way I have for getting it in is I bought a bottle of water (just a normal 20 ounce bootle from the convenience store for $1.19) I keep it with me everywhere I go.... I make sure that by lunch I have drank it....then with lunch I drink water at least one glass if not two... then afterwards I refill the water bottle and make sure I have it drank before my mid day snack.... then refill it one more time and try to have a drank by the time I get home from work... so that makes 8 1/2- 9 1/2 glasses.... also I have notice that once I got passed the first few weeks... i have actually started craving water... so I am starting to drink even more..... maybe that would help you.....

I am a 33...single mom of 2 kids (13) and almost (15)... I have been dating someone for awhile but like you said cant stand the idea of him seeing me naked or anyone for that matter.... I know what you mean about the sleevless arm thing- no going to happen... and you can just forget about the bathing suit... and no I dont want to go to a club where I have to watch all the pretty fine things in the little bittie outfits and me feeling like a hippo in a tutu... so I dont go... I too hold myself back- and I am going to change.....

Anyway, I hope you have a great day.... how is the exercise going for you? I am doing so-so on that also....

Talk to you soon....
Old 06-11-2001, 12:14 PM   #7  
Ready!!!

Default Know somewhat how you feel.

Dear Beth and Angel Dear Beth and Angel Dear Beth and Angel
I have to tell you both, You are wonderful just the way you are. Thank God for arms. And what if we were all blind? Do you think I would not like you? My name is Cathy, I weigh 160#. I too feel very over weight, so you see it is what we think. I some what know how you feel as my mother weighed 524#, two years ago. She was very sick, very sick. We did not expect her to live, but I hope I can tell you her story without putting you to sleep.
Mom has been fighting weigh all of my life, I say that as I can't remember her small. Mom became a Diabitic as a result of her weight, her foot became infected and should have been removed at least 2 1/2 years ago. But when you are that heavy all you can think of is how are they going to get me around? How will I get to the bathroom?
She knew that we would not be able to lift her. The foot was rotton to say the least, last Aug. she was so sick, she finally let them remove her leg.
To make a long story short, she is doing just wonderful. Weighs 360# Has an artificial leg that she is doing just great with. Is so healthy, no longer taking anything for her Diabetis. And happy. As a matter of fact she is going to have her fatty ampron removed in the fall. (please excuse my spelling).So as you can see there is a lot to this weight thing. My two sister have had there stomichs stapled because they were at least 100# over weight.(wrong thing to do) It is in my geans. So I must do something now. I know how far it can go. I dont want to be in my moms shoes. So very sick.
My point to you is lose weight for you. You can do it. And remember God loves you.
Well for a first post, I sure rambled on.
I will pray for the two of you, All my best,
tazcat.
Old 06-11-2001, 02:51 PM   #8  

Thank You Tazcat for your love and support.... it is greatly appreciated. This is a wonderful board for this type of support...

If you need help and motivation look us up....

I dont know if you are looking into weight loss or not if you are you might want to check out this program... nothing dramatic, no gimmicks, just common sense stuff....

Good Luck on your journey...

Beth - Are you still out there???? I miss you
Old 06-11-2001, 03:17 PM   #9  

Hey Angel and Tazcat,

Angel,
How are you doing? I am sorry I don't reply as quickly as you do. Please forgive me. I hope you had a nice weekend and stayed OP.

I must say that Friday I fell down a bit but not as bad as it could have been, I guess. I was running late in the AM and didn't have time for breakfast...mistake #1, so I got a pack of reduced fat peanut butter crackers and a diet coke. I was super busy all day and since I was running late I didn't pack a lunch...mistake #2. I had a left over orange from the day before and another pack of peanut butter crackers (180cal & 7g fat). So by the time I was ready to go home I was starved and feeling like **** so what do I do but talk myself into stopping by the store...mistake #3. I go in and get a bag of baked lays bbq which I know are the death of me...I LOVE them! And since I am so starving I get a rotisserie (spell?) chicken. Guess what? I ate the whole bag of chips (660cal & 16.5g fat!) and most of the whole chicken, which only God knows how many calories and fat that was!(at least I didn't eat the skin) ARGH!!! I will not skip meals again...lesson learned!

Other than that day I have been doing great and keeping up with my journal which I think really does help. I am doing better on my water too...thanks for the water tips. Unfortunately, I have not yet gone to the gym...I think I have some mental block! I will go at least twice this week, I MUST...I have to get back in there! How is that Power 90 going for you? I saw the infomercial this weekend and thought of you. Apparently you can have an amazing beach body in 90 days! So what's it really like?

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot! In the first week of this program/ lifestyle I have lost 3lbs!!! Granted some may be from water but it is wonderful to be on the other side of 190's!! I started at 191 and I am now at 188!! Yippee!

Tazcat,
Thank you for your story and words. I agree that I shouldn't be so obsessed with my weight and what not especially since I am not in the situation that your mother was in. I'm sorry to hear about her struggles. I often see people with disabilities and think how lucky I am to be healthy and physically able to do anything I want. I shouldn't be worried that I don't want to show my upper arms or get into a swimsuit or the fact that I have 50lbs to lose when I read story after story of women who need to lose well over 100lbs. I know there are people in the world who would trade places with me anyday because they are crippled or have lost limbs or sick. I know all this but I still feel trapped by my body. I do want to lose weight for me and I think this is the first time ever that I have! Thanks for your post and support!

Take care ya'll!
Beth
Old 06-11-2001, 03:23 PM   #10  

Hello,

I have been reading your posts and I am trying to find the book. I checked at the library and it is on order so will wait until it is in. I am one of the first on the wait list and there are numerous copies coming in so.....hopefully soon.

I will post again when I get the book and in the meantime.....I will keep track of your progress.

Marie
Old 06-11-2001, 03:33 PM   #11  

Hey Marie,
That's great! I know once you get the book you will find it helpful. It's all about the calories and strength training. Looks like you have already lost a large amount of weight, which is wonderful...what sorts of things have you been doing?

Well let us know what you think of the book when you get it!

Take care!
Beth
Old 06-11-2001, 04:59 PM   #12  

Default WAY To Go Beth!!!!!

Congrats on the weight loss.... YEAH!!!!!

I have struggled some with the journaling still... still havent been real good with the strentgh training but am do exercise everyday so I am in the right direction....

The Power 90 is a good program... again really no gimmicks in the videos or the actual program... basically you have to workout to get there... goes along well with what we are doing...

I have started on a 30 day challenge on another thread so hopefully that will help me also....

It is good that you can look at friday and realize where you get weak... I think that is important to know....

Today I dont know how many calories I have had but I think I am doing ok.... had a peach while walking the dogs this am...then came home and had a bowl of mini wheat thins and milk, had a glass of grape juice with honey and apple cider vinegar (started this on friday and can already tell a difference in my energy).... gave plasma this morning so had 4 oz of pineapple-orange juice... then a small container of cottage cheese and half a tuna sandwich.... oh a three tsp of low fat soft serve ice cream.... so at least I am monitoring and eating at least somewhat healthy fare... will let you know about the totals .....

As for exercise... I walked the dog and did about half the curcuit video.... and then I dance tonight for 2 hours (ballet and jazz).... I know this is not enough strength training but that is all I can do today.... I think I am going to try to start going to the YMCA again and workout on the machines there....

HEY Marie.... hope to see you soon.....
Old 06-11-2001, 05:47 PM   #13  

Hi There,

I am hoping to join you soon. I am looking forward to the book coming in. I think I will check to see when they expect to get it.

Beth....I have lost most of my weight just by counting calories. I have dabbled in a few other plans but mainly just counting calories. I try and stay between 1600 and 1800 calories but sometimes go up to 2000. My main form of exercise has been walking.

Angel......I walk the dogs too......great motivators for getting out in all kinds of weather.

Marie
Old 06-11-2001, 06:23 PM   #14  

I agree with you, Marie, on the walking of the dogs.... they have to walk whether you want to or not.....

Welcome to the group....
Old 06-13-2001, 05:08 PM   #15  

Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing well!

Angel, you are on top of the exercise that's for sure! And your eating seems pretty darn good too. What's that business with the juice, honey and vinegar? Does that help with energy and why? I used to have a dog but when I split with my boyfriend he got the dog and I got the cats so I miss those walks which were great. I don't think the cats would get into it! haha

I actually went to the gym today for the first time in a while...yeah! I know I am going to be sore but that's OK!

I went out to dinner last night with some friends and didn't do as well as I would have liked. I love bread too much for my own good and even though I know I should have it put far away from me when I am there and I see it I rationalize a 1000 ways of why it's OK for me to eat it and dipped in olive oil and pepper no less! So today I have really watched it.

I do have exciting motivation to help me! I was telling a really good friend about my "mission statement" and the 35lb loss by my 29th. He told me that if I lose the weight he will buy my ticket on a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas!! WOW!!! I have always wanted to go on a cruise but never have the money or the body to do it! (There again I have that block of not wanting to get on a ship if I'm not a size 10! Course for all practical purposes I won't be a size 10 when I lose 35lbs but I'll be so happy I won't care!)

Welp, I better go. Let me know how you are doing!
Take care,
Beth
Closed Thread