Old 08-04-2004, 09:51 AM   #1  
Jennifer

Default Plateau Busters and New Scale?

Hey, all. It *appears* that I have broken my annoying 235 plateau, although I'm not going to change my sig until I'm certain. This morning I stepped on the scale and it said... drum roll, please... 233. So I stepped back on it, just to be sure (ok, so I'm compulsive), 238. WHA????? Again, 233. Again, 234. Again, 233. I'm going to assume somewhere between 233 and 234 is correct because I couldn't get it to duplicate that dreaded higher number.

It is time, ladies, for me to purchase a new scale. Mine has annoyed me for quite some time now, as it's one of those crappy non-digital (analog?) kinds that usually gives three readings in three attempts.

Has anyone purchased a new scale recently, and if so, are you happy with it? I'd kind of like one of those nifty body fat scales (although with my history with an eating disorder, my husband might be concerned that I'm obsessing).

I'm also going to share one teensy nagging fear -- that I will hop on this nifty new scale, and it will say something 10 pounds higher than what I've been seeing on the Crap-o-Meter. I know rationally that it doesn't matter what the scale says (it's all relative), but I just think it would be discouraging.

Any thoughts, new pals-o-mine?
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Okay, here's my two cents: I sincerely doubt there will be a 10 lb difference. I've had similar problems with the scale here, but for some reason no one else does, which is bizarre. Anyway, I think you should just save your sanity and get a new one. If you're worried about the body fat/advanced stuff, stick with a regular one and save your sanity even more. I definitely think you shouldn't put a bit more pressure on yourself than you absolutely have to, especially when you already have so much from trying to lose weight.

My bottom line is just not to do anything about the scale that you feel can be potentially triggering. If you can think of any scales you can use (like in the gym, etc) maybe it would be best to stick with that. I don't know. It's up to you to figure out what you're comfortable with and what keep you the most sane.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:13 AM   #3  
Jennifer

I definitely agree with you on the pressure, but I also feel like the body fat stuff might eventually *help* because I may see improvement there that my weight isn't showing (I lift weights pretty intensely). But you're right -- it may be overkill. I really do have to watch myself, so I don't start going nuts.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:46 AM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile My thoughts on a BF scale

I really think that a bodyfat scale is valuable. I have one, and I love it because I have been able to see my body fat percentage go down when I was lifting weights, even when the scale wasn't budging. As for the obsessiveness factor, my take on it is that getting a fuller and more complete picture of your health is not obsessive -- wanting to do it several times a day IS. As an obese person, I am interested in my BMI, because it's a valuable gauge of overall health -- but I'm MORE interested in my BF%, because it gives a more accurate picture of exactly what is going on with my body, and I find that motivating and encouraging.

That said, I have a Tanita body fat scale, and I love it. It's consistent (among 3 users) and on it, you can store the stat's of two people -- in my case, my height, weight and gender, and that of my partner. I purchased it at a discount at the place I purchased the nutritional software that I use -- that I adore and credit in great part with my success thus far. Here's the link to the software's website; you can check out some of the different scales there. If you end up deciding to get one, you might try froogling it to see the best deal out there.

Good luck to you....I say go for it, and then monitor the number of times you're weighing yourself. I totally don't think it's obsessive to want to get an idea of your body fat.....that's a valid and valuable health concern.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #5  
Jennifer

Do you mind my asking which Tanita scale you bought?

Agreed all around. You're a powerhouse of information and support, Sarah!

Thanks again to both of you.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #6  
I climb mountains!

Hi, Jennifer! I'm really happy to help! I got the fourth one down, on the right, on this page. They're selling it for $60 without the software, $49 with the software (with the software and anything else you get at 10% off the whole order.) I know you use FitDay -- I really prefer this software (and I don't work for them so I'm not promoting it, I just love it) for a bunch of reasons. Not trying to shove it down your throat -- if you're curious about it, do a search here on DietPower, and you'll see what I've said about it. Anyway, I love that scale, and once you get the model number, if you're not interested in checking out the software, I'd suggest froogling it to get the best price! Good luck to you -- let me know what you decide, I'll be curious!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:37 AM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

I had the same problem with constant weighing. As a member of Weight Watchers I'm not even supposed to use my own scales, but to rely solely on my weekly weigh-in at meeting. However, I found myself jumping on the scales daily, usually 3 times a day (as though I was going to magically lose or gain by the hour). It became increasingly frustrating as my weight seemed to fluctuate wildly and my home scales usually varied up to 4lbs. from the WW ones. Finally I asked my b/f to hide the scales and I eventually gave up searching the house for them. In fact, I didn't find them until I had a flat and there they were in the trunk with the spare tire.

Congrats on busting the plateau - it should be smooth sailing for awhile now (voice of experience speaking!)
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a health-o-meter at home that I barely use, mostly because I use a digital scale at the gym. I hadn't weighed since Saturday and I usually weigh every time I go to the gym. Yesterday at the gym, the digital scales were all out of batteries and I went up to the front desk and asked if there were any scales at all that I could use and they said no. I was quite depressed, but then I decided to get on the scale, push it on and see if it'd give me a reading. It did right before it turned off and I weighed the same.

The only caution I'd add about BF scales is that I've read that they aren't accurate because the electrical pulses aren't able to travel completely through your body, so they give an estimate of your bf percentage, which can be useful but may also be deceiving. Though if you see the number going down then that is always good but you may have lost more body fat than the scale can tell you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #9  
I climb mountains!

Yes, Nelie, but it's within 1-2% of the most accurate assessment, which is still pretty darn good! I use it as a gauge, so I can see how I'm progressing, not because I need to be competition-ready! The most accurate method of BF assessment is through underwater immersion testing, which is offered for a fee at some universities and larger medical facilities. I don't feel like I need that at this point....I'm ok being "about right." One of the keys to getting a consistent reading is to measure BF not in the morning, but in the afternoon (after work, for example) and at the same time each time you check it.

Also, not all scale brands are created equal; Tanita is one of the most widely respected.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:03 PM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have a newer Tanita scale as well. It has the fat stuff, but I haven't tried that yet. It's a great brand. I don't knwo which one. It was about $30.00 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote