General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 10:37 AM   #1  

Talking Body for Life #5

Our Introductory Material.

Check this post for general information about:
1. Body for Life (what it is and how it works).
2. BFL links (Please let me know if you have more!) and
3. a short critique by Mrs. Jim at the end of her week 3

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details):
six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement.
Recommended grams per day: divide lean body weight by 6 and that is how much carbs/protein you should have at each meal but it tends to correspond to your palm (protein) and fist (carbs). Add green veggies to 2 meals per day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many options but few (other than creatine) that is standard fare.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 47-60 minutes intense (using supersetting and drop sets) weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days.

20 minutes intense interval cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Body for life Links

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recre...ing/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

From BFL #3 Thread: Mrs. Jim's critique at the end of Week 3

Woo! Today's end of Week 3...
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

Old 06-04-2001, 10:41 AM   #2  

Reply to MsLiz from Body for Life #4

Yes, I do believe that both undereating and overeating can be a problem on BFL which is why I started to really measure how much protein I should have and how many carbs. I'm going with 1 gram per lean body weight (even though I'm guessing at that right now since I haven't had my body fat measured lately).

I had to weigh and measure what is what.

I also steer clear of high glycemic carbs. I try to only eat bread every other day or so. I stick to potatoes, sweet potatoes, steel cut oats and veggies and fruits.

off to do cardio!!!!!! (my nemesis)

Susan
Old 06-04-2001, 11:35 AM   #3  
Check out my homepage=>

Susanj - I had to laugh when I read your sign-off at the end of your post! Sometimes I feel like a betrayer of our gender because I HATE cardio! My trainer makes fun of me because I'm "like one of the guys" when it comes to my workouts - forget the cardio crap - gimme them weights!!!!!

I don't know if I'll ever grow to like cardio, but I can at least tolerate it for 20 minutes at a time! Thank God for the short HIIT routines, or I still wouldn't be doing cardio!
Old 06-04-2001, 02:12 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Terrific - a new thread...

...AND my first post on the 'revved-up' boards!

Susan - my problem (in fact just happened) is missing Meals #2 and #4. This morning, I was caught up in a webpage project here at work and totally missed 9:30 when I trot downstairs for my cut fruit and cottage cheese. They open again at 11:15 though so I'll be toddling off pretty soon.

Jim and I had another fantastic Sunday! First off, weighing in and finding I lost two and a half pounds this week was a major upper (not that I needed one - I'm feeling fantastic!). Then we had a great breakfast and went off to the Jack Tone Ranch's 'Open Barn' event. The horses were BEAUTIFUL and everyone there was so friendly - and it was gorgeous out - not hot like Stockton usually is, but around 80-85 degrees.

I wasn't even hungry all day - actually we had planned to go to this burger place in Tracy on the way home but found out they were closed on Sundays. Darn! So I settled for a burrito from my favorite taqueria when we got back home. Oh well.

I'm now at the beginning of Week 7 and really looking forward to week 12 and the end results of my first BFL Challenge! See you gals later.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:47 PM   #5  

Hello ladies,

I finally got new batteries for my digital camera and am going to be courageous and post my ten week pix here. My camera died right after I took these a few days ago and I didn't get a chance to download them. I posted them on Lean and Strong so I might as well post em here. since you guys are so supportive to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://home.att.net/~s_j_e/bflweek10.htm
Old 06-04-2001, 08:35 PM   #6  
GARDENING ADDICT

Susan~What a brave soul you are to put your pics online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband took my pics last weekend put I need to complete the roll of film first. I don't have a digital camera But we will see if I can be as brave as you are. I was amazed to see such great results on you in such a short period of time. You go girl
I'm in the middle of wk #3 and feel great . I'm also trying to learn the best food combos by using fitday.com It really does help to see the whole picture of protein & carbs.
I ordered some Phen-Free and Myoplex lite bars off of vitaglo.com They have the best prices and no shipping costs for orders over $20.
Thanks for being here. I've learned alot from everybody. Well, off to check in on iVillage.
See ya~Sil
Old 06-04-2001, 09:03 PM   #7  

Thank you Sil. I am one of those "I"m not having any progress" kind of people. I really feel, half the time, as if I haven't lost an inch (I've lost about 12 overall). I posted them to check my reality (Or lack thereof) against other peoples. I also want to do the lifting poses and stuff for my after week 12 pix so I thought I'd just throw these up in the meantime (I hope to have more progress at the end). I tend to not see any progress so I posted to get feedback that there has been some (and I'm not fishing for false compliments, I really have horrid body perception) When I see the now pictures all I can see is how much MORE I have to do!!!! And I had been on WW and working at the gym for 2 months before starting BFL so you can imagine the mess I was in January.

I do forgive myself because most of my weight is post quit smoking weight and I really couldn't deal with the weight until I had the no-smoking under control and it was 3 years on March 13 and I started BFL on the 26th of March. So now I am on the road back to leanness only this time without the cigarettes.

Thanks for letting me share! Susan
Old 06-05-2001, 12:51 AM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Great pix, Susan!

You look like you're doing well on BFL - hope I do so well! I really feel terrific!

Sil - I first ordered a bunch of Myoplex from www.saveonsupplements.com thinking they were the cheapest, then found that www.netrition.com was a few bucks cheaper so ordered from them too.

THEN I found vitaglo.com (Somebody has an EAS Price Finder link on L&S board - found 'em there). So, I have an order coming from Netrition and one from Vitaglo both due in the next couple of days. That's four 42-serving boxes total of Myoplex Lite and a 90-serving container of BetaGen, plus a box of Toffee Crunch Myoplex Lite Bars. Netrition does give 'incentive' gifts if you order more than a certain amount at once - so I'm getting free bodyfat calipers and an envelope of Labrada Lean Body to keep in case of emergency. VitaGlo, so far, has the best prices - $1.16 per serving for Myoplex Lite is very inexpensive - and we'll use it all - Jim likes a Myoplex in the morning himself!

I found that Trader Joe's sells Myoplex Lite bars for $1.19 each but they only have the Dutch Apple flavor. I bought about five to keep in my desk for those times I forget to have breakfast or (more exactly) for 4:00 p.m.

Well, time to hit the hay! See ya!
Old 06-05-2001, 01:14 AM   #9  

Thanks Mrs Jim! I really have been feeling not so successful. I was hoping for "more" by this time but I had a few weeks where I was less than 100% (one week sick, one week gym change, two weeks finals) so I just feel good that I stayed the course as much as I did. Like Bill Phillips says "Fail Fast". I try not to fail but if I do, I just get right back up and keep going. I really like that philosophy. Fail fast, be done with it and go right back to where you were. I used to always linger in failure. Like if I started a diet on Monday and "cheated" on Wednesday, I'd have to eat junk until Monday when I would try again. I failed slow........all the time. However, I am really hoping that in my next challenge I will do even better!

On supplements:
I think that vitaglo has Designer Protein Absberry Smoothie or something like that. It's very good and cheaper than Met Rx Berry Blast. I use these for my "berry" drinks. I got the netrition shaker cup and I use it for my water for the gym. It's a nice wide mouth so I can put ice in it.

My day and missing a meal:
This morning I did my cardio and rushed off. Usually I DIE trying to not eat for an hour but this morning I did my cardio at 7:45 to 8:10, jumped in the shower and dressed. Was out of the house by 9 and didn't come back until 11 so I had meals 1 and 2 together which was a full packet of Orange Jubilee Myoplex and an orange. For the rest of the day I tried to schedule my meals every 3 hours but sometimes it's tough!

tomorrow I am scheduled to have lunch with a friend. We've decided on salads. I guess I'll have a broiled chicken on lettuce type thing. So I will get up, go to the gym and come home and shower and go have lunch with her.

goodnight.
Susan
Old 06-05-2001, 08:25 AM   #10  
Check out my homepage=>

Susan, you look awesome! I know it's sometimes hard to see the changes when it's your own body, but us "outsiders" can see the changes! And that's only 10 weeks! Imagine what you'll look like in the future! I'm really excited for you!!!

I have to admit, when I saw the picture my trainer took of me in April (the one on my website) I thought it was a trick. My initial thought was that she had put my head on someone else's body! She now makes me work out in front of the mirrors without my usual long-sleeve T-shirt so that I can see the muscles working when I lift. It's like watching someone else's body!

Sil - c'mon, gal, ante up those pix!! The place where you get them developed can probably have them saved in a .jpg or .gif (digital picture) format so you can upload them onto a website. We'll keep bugging you until you do!!

MrsJim - you're more than halfway through - how does that feel?! Don't skip meals, gal - you'll slow your progress.

I see my doctor this afternoon...pray for me for better news this time. I'm so frustrated at not being able to get through a workout!!

Later, ladies!!
Old 06-05-2001, 09:01 AM   #11  
GARDENING ADDICT

Liz~~~I saw your post on L&S about not being able to keep any food down but then you said that you were doing better. What's going on? What's this about not being able to complete a WO? I hope you are feeling better and the doc can tell you some good news. Keep us posted, OK?
Maybe this will make you feel better......
Old 06-05-2001, 09:41 AM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Think I've got the skipping meals deal licked!

I went into my Outlook calendar at work and put in reminders for the next five weeks, so every workday at 9:30 and 3:30 Office Assistant Kitty will pop up to remind me to eat something! That should work - my problem is losing track of time when I'm in the middle of a big project.

Week 7 and I feel great! I started taking CytoVol (glutamine, mostly) last week - maybe that's the reason I'm not very sore anymore the day after a LBWO or UBWO. I really am working to failure - actually I kind of miss the soreness...I've also started doing Ab Boot Camp on cardio days (yeah, I know I'm not supposed to be doing that until Week 9, but what the heck).

Right now at work I've got my regular council meeting coming up that I have to organize - also I'm working on a website on our company's intranet and that takes a great deal of time since I'm working with our web developers to get everything together. In addition to that, I've got next year's department budget to think about so I'm a very busy gal! I really enjoy it though.

See y'all later! Take care.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:41 AM   #13  
Check out my homepage=>

Sil~~ Thanks, Sweetie! (((Hugs))) I belive that's another Liz at L&S. I used to be a regular poster there, but I haven't been able to get on the site for quite a while. This doggone thyroid disorder is kicking into high gear for some reason, leading to horrid exhaustion and a troublesome heart rate. Either I'm below my target zone, or it goes shooting way up into near-cardiac distress. Makes it rather difficult to do my aerobic HIITs! It's not dangerous, just a seriously aggravating inconvenience!! I'm trying to convince my doc to tweak my meds, and so far am meeting resistance. Last month I asked her for a specific treatment, and she wouldn't agree to it. She gave me something else instead, saying if this didn't work we'd do it my way. Well, today should be "my way" day!

MrsJim - great idea with Outlook! And good luck with Ab Bootcamp - it's a KILLER!!!! Are you a WebWoman? I'm SOOOO impressed! I'm trying to teach myself HTML; so far, so good. It's a reward to myself for reaching one of my goals. (How nuts is THAT?!?!?)
Old 06-05-2001, 04:25 PM   #14  
GARDENING ADDICT

Liz~~Don't mind me, I'm just confused Sometimes I jump from one site to another and forget where I read something (3FC's, iVillage, L&S,BFL,etc). I hope you get the thyroid thing under balance
I've been trying different foods for my carb portions and lately have become addicted to black beans with salsa. It serves as a carb but also has high protein. I had some today with a piece of Mahi Mahi Does anybody have any suggestions other than pasta and potatoes?
This morning I had a Myoplex shake but put half of it in the freezer. When I came home from running errands in the heat and humidity of Georgia, the frozen shake was a sheer pleasure!
~~~Sil
137/124/120

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 06-05-2001 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:13 PM   #15  
GARDENING ADDICT

Just tried 2 new things today and want to share.
~~~Vanilla Myoplex mixed with diet root beer and placed in the freezer for awhile is wonderful (thanks MrsJim for the idea)
~~~Pureed non-fat cottage cheese w/Mrs.Dash is great on top of a baked potato instead of sour cream And you get the added protein, also

Tomorrow is the last day of week 3! I can do this!
~~~~Sil
Closed Thread