Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 AM   #1  

Default healthy fast food

hi,
i see alot of articles in the news and posts in different forums here about salads at mcdonalds and other fast food restaurants. but i'm wondering: why go there at all? maybe i have an advantage with choice since i live in a city but i've been to towns too and there are always a different restaurants wherever you go. so why not just go to a different restaurant. many have takeout and if you want to eat-in have a much nicer atmosphere.
i've eaten at mcdonalds many many times but i don't think it was ever from a lack of choice.
so why not support a local business, have some fresh food that can be good for you and that isn't limited to salads, eat in a pleasant atmosphere etc?

just wondering
gen
Old 07-19-2004, 07:34 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Gen

We're practically neighbours... I live east of Montreal 20 minutes from the Ontario border...

Great question...

For me the only time I buy McD is for lunch because of the quickie convenience when I am in a rush. When I don't have time for atmosphere, I don't have any food in the fridge or when the kids want to have junk food..YUCK.. I refuse to eat their hamburgers, or any fast food joint burgers, they give me indigestion for the rest of the day...

Local business restaurant are not quite as fast as going to the drive-thru at McD's... I also would MUCH rather prefer to support them than McD... So we usually support the locals at supper time when we can have a more leasurely meal...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #3  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

well for me it is a simple matter of hubby/kids want fast food. and i can eat something good for me and let them have a treat. as much as i don't like the idea of them eating fast food, sometimes they want it. or if i am at work and coworkers are doing a lunch run. to the fast food they go get what they want and i can have something healthy for me. ( keep in mind i eat fast food on average once every month or so)
Old 07-23-2004, 02:23 AM   #4  

Well, for me, it really is a lack of choice. We live in a small town that has a McD's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Dominos and two family owned places, one is a pizza place, the other is a little mom and pop place where everything is either a fatty burger or breaded and fried, including, yes believe it, fried pickles. So, unless we're driving 30 miles out of town, it's going to be one of the fast food places.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #5  

For those who have the option, Chik-fil-A is the all time winner for healthy fast food. If you are near a Whole Foods Market, their deli and salad bar can't be beat. Ditto for Freshfield's. And anywhere that has a "fresh Mex" place is also easy. Panera's is not exactly a drive-thru but their choices are excellent. You can also do very well at Cracker Barrel if you choose carefully, watch your portions, and request the substitutes they offer for almost everything. You can get a small portion of their chicken and pastry, a s/f root beer, and a few spoonfuls of somebody's dessert for what a small grey burger would be somewhere else.

I only have access to Paneras here. But we're looking forward to better days.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:21 PM   #6  

I remember when I used to go out to fast food joints all the time with my fiance and friends in the past. A lot of times it was McDonalds....having a Big Mac, super size fries and super size coke with Big Mac sauce on the side... I can't believe that I used to eat like that.

Now, whenever I do go into a fastfood joint, I kinda watch what I have. Sometimes I'll have a salad, or when it's fries, I'll soak the grease off with a napkin, with chicken nuggets from McDonalds, I'd take the skin off and when I have pizza anywhere...I'll grab a bunch of napkins and take off as much grease as I could. I always get weird looks.

Sometimes, I go there when I'm in a rush or want something real cheap, but I try to stay away from fast foods. Unless it's Subway or Wendy's
Old 07-27-2004, 03:01 AM   #7  
Downsizing

Height: 5'7"

I go to fast food frequently because I'm single and eat alone a lot. I've gotten into the habit of going through the drive-thru on the way home, then eating at home. Plus its much cheaper for me than going to a restaurant and a lot of the time its even cheaper than buying the groceries and cooking at home.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:45 PM   #8  

have to guys tried the taco bells "fresco" style tacos? they look good...
Old 08-01-2004, 07:49 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithP1
I go to fast food frequently because I'm single and eat alone a lot. I've gotten into the habit of going through the drive-thru on the way home, then eating at home. Plus its much cheaper for me than going to a restaurant and a lot of the time its even cheaper than buying the groceries and cooking at home.
Yep! To get a small salad & a chili at Wendy's is a little over 2 bucks. Very convenient.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #10  

Fried Pickles? Anyway if I go to a fast food place and am dying for a hamburger and fries, I get the child size hamburger and the child size fry. It fills me up and I get the fast food fix I want. Just a thought. God Bless.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #11  

Default web-site

here's a web-site i found that's has the nutritional info for a lot of restaurants

http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp

hope it helps to make good choices.

gen
Old 08-04-2004, 05:25 PM   #12  

love that site gatsby! getting the kids meal is a great idea-I love it because it still fills me up but I've also been getting into the McDonald's grilled salads-with the balsamic dressing (love the bits of blue cheese, yummy
Old 08-05-2004, 11:52 AM   #13  

Default kids meals

hi,

i think the kids meals is a great idea. before i started my weight loss journey i discovered that a kids happy meal at McD was enough food for me (and even satisfied that fast food craving). I used to eat a big mac and a large fries (probably super sized a few times) so i was surprised. it just occurred to me that if I was satisfied with a happy meal it must be too much for a small child. it must be because i remember finishing off my neice and nephew's fries. i haven't tried the salads because i haven't eaten at a fast food restaurant in months (except 1 subway sandwhich which was surprisingly good, i've only ever eaten there once before).

keep eating well,
gen
Old 08-05-2004, 10:17 PM   #14  

i usally stay out of MCD- i do get a salad from time to time there or the same at wendy's. once in a great while i will get a hamburger and take the bun off to eat it. i usaully get my food from store and fix before i leave like salmon steaks grilled on george foreman grill( i marinate fish over night then grill before i go to work. i take to work a cucummber and a tomatoe with a utility knife to cut it at work 2 days a week i go to ponderosa to eat lunch. i try to stay out of the fast foods places mostly and just brown bag it for work and try to eat more at home. i do eat at ryans sometimes and able to stay on my diet plan. sue
Old 08-06-2004, 12:14 AM   #15  
it's always something

We have a fast food guide here that's pretty good, and it's always growing
http://www.3fatchicks.com/fast-food-nutrition/index.php

About the child size dinner, what was once an adult dinner at McDonalds is now called a Happy Meal!! How times change.
Closed Thread