Old 07-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Question When does one stop losing water & start to lose fat??

Hi does anyone have any info on when a person is actually losing fat and not just water. Thanks in advance.
Mez
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:03 AM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Mez - This isn't a scientific explanation by any stretch of the imagination, but generally it's safe to assume that if you are losing less than two pounds per week, it's probably fat. Anything over that probably includes a lot of water.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:14 AM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennelle
Mez - This isn't a scientific explanation by any stretch of the imagination, but generally it's safe to assume that if you are losing less than two pounds per week, it's probably fat. Anything over that probably includes a lot of water.
With -- sometimes -- some muscle tissue thrown in for good measure!

Mez, in case you're not already doing this, I would recommend taking some measurements so that you can see some quantifiable progress that's not connected to something as unpredictable as the scale. When inches are coming off -- it's not water! You're at the beginning of your journey, so you'll be able to really track your progress -- particularly since you're doing such a good job of exercising! Keep taking measurements, keep an eye on the fit of your clothing, and then just know that after the first week or two at the very latest, you're should be starting to tap into those fat stores. Oh! -- and watch your sodium intake, because sodium will increase your water retention and you'll see it's impact on the scale. (So when you're expecting a loss of fat because you've been so good, you may not be getting an entirely accurate picture because of the water retention.)

Just stick with it -- keep doing what you're doing, and you'll see the fat start to go. Bank on it!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:44 PM   #4  

Thanks for the advice. I'll take out my wish I fit in these pants. LOL I haven't measured myself but will today. Aww sodium that is something I hadn't thought of. I've been to worried about cals and fats. You guys leave me speechless with all your knowlege and encouragement!
Thanks you have no ideal how much it means to me.
Mez
Old 07-30-2004, 07:01 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mez, about having knowledge, I once heard that fat people know more about nutrition and exercise than anyone. It is a funny statement but often seems true. Anyway, I definitely go with the pant-o-meter and take your measurements in multiple locations. You'll sometimes lose inches in the oddest locations, I have lost an inch in my wrists and ankles as well as losing inches in the places I want to lose, like my stomach, hips, things, etc. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water because that'll help flush out sodium and water from your body.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:46 AM   #6  
Live for the Moment!

Mez,

Definetly have a look at how much sodium you're having on a daily basis! Be sure to drink a lot of water to flush your system all the time.

I wouldn't worry too much about what kind of weight you're losing right now, you're just starting your journey and you're doing fantastic. You will lose more fat overall than water weight! And my dear, a pound is a pound. Don't stress about what you're losing, just focus on how great you're feeling!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:46 AM   #7  

My main reason for asking is when a certain person asked me how I was doing. I said great! I'm down 9 lbs. They then said it's only water don't get excited. GRRRRRR It really kind of bummed me out I'd been so excited and I started to have second thoughts if I could do it.
Mez
Old 08-01-2004, 09:19 AM   #8  

Oh (((((Mez))))), I hate the arrogance and stupidity of people sometimes! Here we are, trying to do something positive for ourselves, and they have to come along and bring us down! Why?! They can't possibly think they're helping us by saying crap like that! How frustrating! Well, don't you pay any attention to those idiots, (that one in particular!) You are doing amazing; I mean 9 pounds, that's awesome! Sure, some of it was probably water, but not 9 freaking pounds! You keep up the good work, doing just what you are doing, and pay no heed to any of the unsupportive imbeciles around you.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:39 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Usually, the first week of a diet, quite a bit of it can be water weight, but you have lost weight beyond your first week. Also, remember, people can be jealous because you have progress while they don't. Ignore any discouraging words and just do the best that you can.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Sounds like that person may be hard to deal with during this journey. Sometimes it's best to just smile and say, "I'm doing well, thank you so much for asking" and leave it at that. Seeing that number on the scale going down IS exciting, no matter what!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmerize
My main reason for asking is when a certain person asked me how I was doing. I said great! I'm down 9 lbs. They then said it's only water don't get excited. GRRRRRR It really kind of bummed me out I'd been so excited and I started to have second thoughts if I could do it.
Mez
Unless they have a medical degree of some sort, they are completely unable to back up that comment with facts. This is just me, but I would've made that person explain to me the physiology behind their reasoning.

But you DO know they didn't have any reasoning, they just wanted to be an , right? They might feel threatened by your weight loss b/c they are used to you being a certain way, and fear change, and might be quite insecure as a result. Hence, making a snotty comment.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:33 AM   #12  

Thanks!!! For your support everyone!! I didn't think this person would be upset or jealous in any way since she has always been skinny. (At least for how long I've known her.) But now that I think of it when I said my loss she kind of looked me up and down and said that.. So I think she was being umm a I will take what she says with a grain of salt. You guys are awesome. Next time she ask I'll keep it short and sweet w/o numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace
Unless they have a medical degree of some sort, they are completely unable to back up that comment with facts. This is just me, but I would've made that person explain to me the physiology behind their reasoning.
I wish I had thought to say that! I would of loved to seen the look on her face!!
Mez
Old 08-03-2004, 09:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I can't stand it when people intentionally rain on your parade but guess what... It happens ALL THE TIME. I have learned to just respond by saying thanks for your opinion on the subject and usually that is the last time I have conversation with that person regarding weight loss.. I don't like to associate myself with negativity of any sort. It tends to bring anyone down even the most positive people, myself included.

That's why you have US!! We're a bunch of positive folk!! lol
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:24 AM   #14  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Mez!!!!!!

Mez, don't you pay her skinny butt (and unpleasant mouth) any mind. You need to OWN your SUCCESS!! You lost 9 pounds!! YOU changed your behavior, YOU made the right choices, YOU were disciplined enough to show great results, and YOU are now nine pounds LIGHTER!! Yeah, some of it was water....SO FREAKING WHAT??? Um, EVERYONE who's lost weight has started out with a few pounds of water; it's a requisite part of the process, it's physiological. Certainly not nine pounds, though. And, just for argument's sake, WHAT IF IT WERE ALL WATER??? You're not supposed to be excited about making positive changes in your life and sticking with them? Excuse me?? Ay yi yi, some people are amazing.

She clearly doesn't know what she's talking about, doesn't have the sense (or humility) to realize that, and displayed no interest in supporting you when you needed it. Big, fat, emphatic "Talk to the Hand" to that wench.....truly!!

Mez, we DO know what we're talking about......listen to Beverly (boibaby,) for heaven's sake; the woman lost ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY POUNDS!!!! I'm thinking her take on weight loss has some credibility. 'Nuff said.

(((((((((((((((((((Mez)))))))))))))))))) Keep up the good work; you're doing a great job, and have EVERY reason to be excited!!!!!!

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 08-03-2004 at 11:30 AM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote