View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004, 04:12 PM   #14
resident lactivist

I think funniegrrl hit the nail on the head.

IMO, you need to question whether you really need to lose weight. My mother is 5'8" and when she got down to 145, her doctor chided her about being too thin. I'm 5'5" and 125 is on the very low end of the scale for my height; I cannot imagine adding four inches and only five pounds!

If you are a very active athlete, you need to keep in mind that you're probably pretty muscular. That could well be one reason you weigh more than you think you should. Get a good bodyfat test (don't simply get a bodyfat scale!) and see what your percentage is. From what I've read, anywhere from 18% to 30% bodyfat is healthy for a woman (the Navy lets women get up to 33% last I checked, but every other source says this is a bit much). Yours should probably be on the high end of this scale, since you're an adolescent.

Never look at the BMI again. I have yet to meet a healthcare professional that thought that scale was worth the paper its printed on. Likewise, realize that not every woman has or should have the same body shape/composition/weight.

If I were you, this is what I would do:

1) Concentrate on nutrition, not calories. Eat plenty of veggies, lean meats, good fats. Since you're active, you're going to need a fairly high proportion of protein in your diet. Go to the Ladies Who Lift forum and get some advice from them.
2) Trust in your body. Learning this skill will be invaluable to you your whole life. If you have been the same size for the past six years and you're very active, it's likely that you're meant to be that size. Screw what the rest of the world thinks.
3) Exercise and lift weights. You already obviously get in lots of cardio, & the BFL book will help you with the weightlifting. Lifting weights will change your metabolism somewhat, and you may lose weight (but measure too, since muscle takes up less space; you may weigh the same but have actually lost fat).

If you eat right and exercise, the rest of it will fall into place. You will probably lose weight. You may not. But if you're active and properly nourished, that's what counts healthwise in the long run, not an arbitrary number.

Sabra, mama to Bobbie, Linda, Esther & Princess Marie Fluffybutt
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote