Old 07-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #1  
2006 - Panda Remix

Lightbulb What do you 'pass by' now?

I just thought i would share a little breakthrough I had today

Firstly, I wanted some exercise so I decided to take a walk to the local shops - my partner wanted me to buy him a king size chocolate bar and some white bread rolls (both things I love!). I went to the shop and bought him his things and just bought myself a magazine and some fresh strawberries as a treat. Now this is good in itself, but the real breakthrough is I have just noticed that the chocolate bar is still in the fridge (8 hours later) but I have no desire to pinch it -in fact I passed it by without a thought, because all I've got my eye on is my strawberries!

What do you pass by now without a second thought?

Love Amanda x

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 07-26-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I pass by Taco Bell without a second thought when normally, I would be going to the drive thru on the way home or at lunchtime. I haven't had fast food (other than salads from McDonalds and Burger King) since March! The thought of Taco Bell makes my stomach hurt! Seriously!

Amanda- That is totally awesome! I am so proud of you! You know you're on track when you can buy something like that for someone else and not even think about eating it! Congratulations! That is a huge breakthrough! Keep up the good work!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I went to Target on Saturday and while I was shopping for groceries, they were cooking their fresh baked bread. I could smell it from a good 50 feet away. I thought "gee that smells like good bread" but I didn't even have a thought about buying some. In the past, I would've probably have gone and picked up a loaf because I was such a bread fiend.

Also, at work, someone has set up a self serve candy store filled with tons of chocolate candy bars, cookies and other sweets. It is within 10 feet of my desk and I have to pass by it constantly, but I don't think about it any more.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:36 PM   #4  

I absolutely could not rest when I knew there was uneaten candy (especially chocolate) or ice cream in the house. Now, although I still know it's there, it doesn't consume my every thought anymore. It used to drive me nuts that my husband could buy those things and then actually forget they were there! I mean how do you just forget they're there?!? But now I can honestly say, they no longer have the same control over me, thank goodness! And my husband doesn't have to worry about me eating up all of his goodies before he finally remembers they're there!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:35 PM   #5  

Smile

Bologna...lol, it sounds weird, but I used to LOVE Shikaus (spelling?) Bologna, and eveytime I would open the fridge I would eat some...and each slice was 2 WW points, lol, so it's REALLY bad for me. Now, I don't even think about looking in the coldcut drawer...And I never think "gee I'm hungry...I'll have 5 slices of bologna" becuase I'd rather have 2 and a half cups of corn puffs for 3 WW points, or a whole bag of popcorn for 2...I think in a whole new way now.
NYCchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:46 PM   #6  

I no longer go to the Brit store to buy british goodies. I don't miss them either...they are too addictive!
Angelic_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I would go through the drive through at Dunkin Donuts and get Coolatas, iced coffee with extra cream and sugar (eeeeeeeeeeeeeew), and iced lattes. I still love all of them (just not the extra cream and sugar part) but they're emtpy calories and too much sugar and fat and cream. I admit, I do miss it- but it's worth it. I'm going to allow myself one latte or coolata every 3 or 4 weeks.
And french fries. at school I was eating them every day, which is gross, but the caf was really bad. Granted I'm home for the summer, but I really think I'll be able to bypass 'em this semester.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:31 PM   #8  
Live for the Moment!

Wow! Well I've "passed by" many things and sometimes its been easy and sometimes its been hard. Some of my major accomplishments are avoiding the cafeteria at work... They have really really good food. I've eaten from there 2 times in the past month, and I had a turkey breast sandwich on whole wheat with lots of veggies and mustard.

I pass by 7-11 all the time, and I don't give in to the Slurpee machine or potatoe chips calling me. And, I've only given in to Fast Food twice in the past 2 months, which compared to how much I had been eating it is good....
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:46 PM   #9  
2006 - Panda Remix

I agree that some things are harder to pass by than others - I recently had a block of half fat cheese in my fridge and i have not been very successful at passing THAT by! I just cannot be trusted around cheese, and i won't be making the mistake of buying such a big block again - I'll get just enough for the one meal I am having (usually a home made pizza). I'm just glad it was half fat and I did manage to count all of the calories - but I still have to admit defeat on that one! Oh well, one breakthrough at a time!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #10  
Abby's Mommy

I am a glutton when it comes to cheese too. I LOOOVE sharp cheddar, and I can not keep it in the house now. Also, I pass by the cracker/chip isle all together. Ususally Im a salty/crunchy snacker. I can pass up sweets pretty easily.
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:53 PM   #11  
Making myself proud.

S/C/G: 375/ticker/200

Height: 5'11"

My biggest problem before starting this weight loss was fast food. I do still have Wendy's etc on occasion but I only eat what is on the menu that fits into my daily plan. They have a delicious grilled chicken sandwich, which I get with no sauce. Plus their chili is only 5 grams of fat for the small size (minus cheese) so I have a good meal that way. (I'm doing a low fat diet, in case you're wondering).

I will say though that I can't have any "forbidden" foods in the house because I have no self control. As Beverly said above, if there is something in the house and I know it's there, I can't stop thinking about it until it's gone. I don't know that that will ever go away since I've been doing this 6 1/2 months and it's still that way. I'm lucky though in that I live with my 2 yr old son and no other adults so I don't have someone else's pleasure foods around. My son eats healthy, with lots of fruits and veggies and the fruits are my treats too. I figured since he's genetically programed to be able to get fat (thanks to me) I want to start him out eating right so hopefully he never has to lose weight like I now have to.
Stinger766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I can't keep anything salty/crunchy in the house. I just can't. The only exceptions are kosher dills, Kashi TLC's, and Baked Tostitos.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:35 AM   #13  
Live for the Moment!

I'm with you all on the Salty thing... I'm huge on salty/crunchy and that's been my biggest obstacle.. However, I've been having Spudz Sticks or Pretzels as an alternative when I just gotta have that crunch! Oh, and light popcorn of course...

AND, I want everyone to read back over what they've passed up!? SEE HOW GREAT WE'RE ALL DOING?! WOW! Look at us go! Everyone is so focused... Awwww, I'm so proud of each of us!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #14  
Jennifer

At work we had this very long meeting after lunch on Monday, and there was this HUGE plate of chocolate chip cookies and brownies. I avoided them at lunch, but then someone slid the tray right down to my end of the table during the meeting, basically right under my nose. I had to sit there and LITERALLY smell the cookies through the entire meeting and I *did not have one!!!* That's really unheard of for me. At the break, though, I discreetly moved the tray to the OTHER end of the table to help avoid the temptation!!!

Yay us!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:48 PM   #15  

Talking What I pass by...

I have been on WW for months now and it is a great plan for me. I have literally changed my life. When I have coffee, its no longer suagr filled vanilla lattes or breves, its regular coffee, skim milk and splenda. Sometimes I add vanilla syrup which is sugar free and made with splenda. Yum!

I have also given up fast food. I would maybe have it once every two weeks to once a week but now, not at all. It has been months since I've had McDonald's, Wendy's or anything. Me, my sister and my fiancee would also have some kind of sugary, fattening dessert after dinner but that has stopped too. I am much more aware now of what I am eating and doing to myself. A while ago we splurged and had a piece of boston cream pie. It tasted great but was so heavy and sugary that I was sick to my stomach that night. It tasted good but the after effects will keep me away for a long time. A splurge now and then is real life but I think I will stick to strawberries and popcorn and jello for a while again.

One thing I have noticed is that since I have been following my new WW lifestyle and lost 30 pounds, I have not had heartburn in 6 months! I used to take Tums or something almost every night. Now, it is GONE and I feel fantastic...and ready for the wedding day.
julestools is offline   Reply With Quote