Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 04:59 PM   #1  

Default Re-Question..

Um.. in a previous post I asked if eggs were limited in Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet.. and the post was closed. I don't mean to offend, but I don't see how my "age" or "medical condition" has anything to do with it.. I simply wanted to know the answer to my question and how it would effect the results of the diet. Thanks in advance anyone that replies.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:14 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cobalt,

The fact that you are 13, and still growing, and the fact that you have Type I diabetes, would both seriously affect any food choices you make. None of us, as far as I know, are doctors or nutritionists, so you really need to take this question and others like it to your health professionals, okay?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:25 PM   #3  

I know.. and I can appriciate that. I just wanted to know if any of you know/think there is a limit in the diet, whether you are nutritionists or know about my condition or not. Besides, my diabetes is perfectly controled and has been for a while now, so that is not an issue.. Thankyou for your advice, though.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:30 PM   #4  

The section on eggs states:
Eggs: Eggs are allowed even in Phase 1, unless you have dangerously high cholesterol. In truth, eggs aren't nearly as bad as we once thought - they raise the level of the good cholesterol as much as the bad, and they are a terrific source of natural vitamin E. If your doctor has advised you against eating eggs, ask him or her about using an egg substitute.

Have you had your cholesterol checked? You might ask your doctor to check it and then see what he says about how many eggs you should eat.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:50 PM   #5  

Thank you

Nope, I haven't had my cholesterol checked, but I can't imagine it's very high! I'm pretty active, the right weight for my height, etc. But thankyou for answering my question
Old 07-26-2004, 05:52 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cobalt, as I'm sure you know, any time you make a change to your diet, your control of your diabetes changes, unless your doctor is approving those dietary changes. Therefore, any advice we give might not only be wrong for you, but may cause you to become seriously ill. Giving you medical advice is not a good idea for anyone on this forum. Please ask your doctor for this advice, as Ruth suggested. You might also refer to Dr. Agatston's books, especially the Good Carbs, Good Fats Guide. As a doctor, he might have better suggestions than we would.

In addition, as a young, growing person, your dietary needs are very different from most of the others in our forum. We don't want to give you the wrong advice and have you be unhealthy as a result, okay?

Thanks for understanding.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:17 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
Cobalt, as I'm sure you know, any time you make a change to your diet, your control of your diabetes changes, unless your doctor is approving those dietary changes. Therefore, any advice we give might not only be wrong for you, but may cause you to become seriously ill. Giving you medical advice is not a good idea for anyone on this forum. Please ask your doctor for this advice, as Ruth suggested. You might also refer to Dr. Agatston's books, especially the Good Carbs, Good Fats Guide. As a doctor, he might have better suggestions than we would.

In addition, as a young, growing person, your dietary needs are very different from most of the others in our forum. We don't want to give you the wrong advice and have you be unhealthy as a result, okay?

Thanks for understanding.
Yeah, fair enough. Thanks for taking the effort to post, I appriciate it
Have a great day, Cobalt_skies
Old 07-27-2004, 12:14 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

cobalt... you say that you're the right weight for your height, yet you're trying to lose more. why? that has serious repercussions for your diabetes. and in another post, you say that you have skipped a meal or two. and you KNOW that's not a wise thing to do. and you say that your blood sugar is under control and has been for awhile, yet you and your mom decided - without talking to your doctor - that you'd be ok on this diet if you ajdusted your insulin.

you're playing fast and loose with your health, darlin. we're mostly old ladies.. most of us are old enough to be your mother, and some of us old enough to be your grandmother or even great-grand!!! we worry.

please don't confuse our fussing with stupidity, however. many of us are living with diabetes, and know first hand how important proper blood sugar control is.

talk to your doc. if you're at the right weight for your height, as you say above, there's really no need for you to be on a diet to lose weight, is there?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:30 AM   #9  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Cobalt,
We are not trying to be rude or ugly to you but the moderators are right. All questions need to be answered by your physician. You should never get any medical information from the internet regardless of the severity of it.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:39 AM   #10  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

I just wanted to add, that it really doesn't matter how healthy or active you are, you can still have high cholesterol. My MIL is one of the healthiest and active people I know, and she has it.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH
I just wanted to add, that it really doesn't matter how healthy or active you are, you can still have high cholesterol. My MIL is one of the healthiest and active people I know, and she has it.
Yeah but I'm 13 ..
Old 07-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #12  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

I am only 23 and I got high blood pressure at 18......

So Lauren is right! It doesn't matter how healthy or active you are or even how old you are..... Medical Problems don't do a survey first to ask how old you are.....
Closed Thread