Old 07-13-2004, 02:57 PM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Lightbulb On the Topic of Slip-ups

Ok, in response to the increase in discussion of slip-ups, I submit the following, pasted directly from Dr. Hussman's website:

The goal of this is to have a fitness program you can live with. If you find that you get into guilty self-destructive binges after you eat some kind of "fun food," then it's much better to include a specific and limited amount of fun food as part of your written nutrition plan for each day (but no more than 5-10% of your total daily calories). It's not the cookie that will throw your program off, but guilt, "all-or-nothing" thinking, and self-abuse that says "I ate the cookie! I've got no willpower! I'm a loser! I've ruined my whole day with that one cookie! It's a cheat day now! I'll never succeed at this!" followed by a self-destructive binge in which you rapidly eat 20 more cookies. This is called disinhibition - where you drop all the rules and say "Ah, what the heck!" Don't fall into this. Remember: you're always in control. You're never going to accidentally eat a cookie. So if you're about to eat one and no other alternative will do, at least realize it's a choice. Enjoy that choice, and then get on with your program. Work it into your plan, so that you'll eat a little less later today, or a little less tomorrow, to make up that tiny bit of ground. Let me say that again: if you eat something you feel is a "cheat", realize the choice you're making beforehand, and if you choose to go ahead, at least enjoy it, and then get back to work. Don't be a wuss and nibble off little corners of a 12-inch cake until the whole thing is gone. And don't turn a minor indiscretion into a self-destructive binge.

Hope this helps!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:00 PM   #2  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Wow, this was good! I need to print this up! Thanks bunches for posting it!
irishwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

That is AWESOME...

P.S. Sarah.. Please notice my tagline again.. ahem..ahem..
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #4  

I find it helps a lot to incorporate specific off plan meals or foods into my diet to avoid binges. One of my biggest weaknesses is Chinese food and I have realized that it is nearly impossible for me to eat on plan when we go, but I love it so much that I just couldn't/wouldn't give it up. So instead of beating myself up about screwing up I make it a point to schedule meals at my favorite Chinese place every so often. This way I am not deprived of something I really love and I don't feel guilty about eating it. I also make sure to be very OP before and after.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I think that I tend to feel so terrible if I have made a bad choice but it forces me to come back even better than before..
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #6  
missaprylj

That was an awesome article! Very informative. Thank you!

Beverly- Great idea! I practically write down the things you say!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:00 PM   #7  
Abby's Mommy

Thank you for posting this sarah!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:34 PM   #8  
2006 - Panda Remix

That is a great article Sarah, and so true!

My personal weakness is pizza ( !!). I used to have a takeaway about 4 times a week - but now i have a low fat homemade one on a Friday night and it has seriously quoshed my takeaway pizza habit. And the best thing about it is that I know it is built into my allowance - so there is no guilt!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Amanda, I have some great pizza(ish) weight watchers recipes for you, if you dont have them already.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #10  
Live for the Moment!

Thanks so much for this Sarah! It was great insight for the day..
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:05 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Same here, Amanda. I was born and raised in New York City, so I feel like I'm genetically predisposed to pizza addiction! I do the same thing; I make a reduced fat version that's awesome, and I plan for it, it's either within my planned calories or I accommodate the caloric increase either the day before or after.

And Beverly, I am positive that the reason I've had no struggles staying on plan is because of these planned treatskies.....if I'm craving something, I wait a few days and then if I still want it, I plan it a few days out, and then eat it guilt-free. Overall, since I started March 1, I've got an average of one cheat meal every 2-3 weeks, so I'm not feeling too badly about it.

My conscience is completely clean -- it's planned, controlled, and limited. And because I've logged every day of my eats in my Diet Power [nutritional and fitness] software since I started, I know that my overall YTD daily calories are 1537. Woo hoo!! I'm just so grateful that I've got my head right about this -- I feel like my research and instincts have really helped to set me up for success. And staying positive about this process and embracing the changes have been invaluable, critical steps. I'm so excited about all of this!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:13 AM   #12  

Awww, thanks Apryl! What a nice compliment.

You said it Sarah, planned, controlled and limited. There's no reason why we can't have our favorite foods as long as we're smart about it. The point is, to plan these treats rather than binging on them at the spur of the moment. We must control the food, not let the food control us anymore. Great thread Sarah!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

That is so true, thanks for sharing.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote