South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Starting South-Beach Sunday!

Hi all,
Well, I bought the book the South Beach diet (*cough* 3 months ago *cough* ) and decided I should get started on it, seriously. I guess I have some questions, the major one being "How is the success rate?" and I have major problems with feeling 'A little hungry' and then eating a #2 at MacDonalds.. hehe. So, is hunger a problem or does the food you eat help moderate it?
I belong to the YMCA so I hope to start going to the gym regularly! I figure I'll start the gym Saturday and then the diet Sunday so I already feel like I have accomplished something.
Well! I hope to post more with my success with South Beach! Feel free to reply any time, I love to chat!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:47 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Welcome, Usagi! Does Usagi mean rabbit? I seem to remember that...but I could be losing my mind.

As for success rate, it varies, to my knowledge. I think those who are committed to doing Phase 1 with no cheats are more successful. Those who are truly committed to making a lifestyle do better on SBD (and on any plan). Some people here have lost a ton, some have lost a little, but we are all healthier as a result!

Regarding hunger, I believe that also has a lot to do with what and how much you have been eating up to now. If you have been on a diet, you will be overwhelmed by the quantity of food, especially with three snacks a day. If you have been eating uncontrolled (as I was before starting), you will be amazed by how full you feel all the time on this diet...removing the sugar and bad carbs keeps you from the roving, crazy, craving hunger that you feel when they are in your body. From time to time, I am hungry, but I just add in another snack or drink some water and I am fine. The majority of time, as long as I eat a lot of veggies, I am totally full. It's a good thing.

Hope this helps! Glad you are joining us on the beach!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #3  

One other thing is that you might find that you don't have the energy for exercise while on Phase 1. That is normal. You could try exercising at a lower pace or wait until Phase 2. When you do start exercising you might want to vary the types of exercise you do so you are less sore. Maybe walk one day and do weights or swim the next. Eat LOTS of veggies. The recipes here and in the cookbook are great. I was never hungry on Phase 1.

Don't be upset if you don't lose a huge amount in Phase 1. The amount varies. I only lost 4 pounds but I've been losing at 2 pounds a week during Phase 2.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:12 AM   #4  

I was hungry alot of Phase 1, to be honest. So I'd eat more of the allowed snacks than I probably should have, but I still lost weight. And my thinking was that if I was in a constant state of hunger I was much more likely to go on a binge. So I ate the allowed foods until I was satisfied even if it was than I thought I should be eating. And remember that Phase 1 is more about changing your blood chemistry and getting cravings under control than it really is about losing weight. I am happy to say that I've been on South Beach for over 3 months now and have not binged even one time.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 193.2/193.2/160

Hi Usagi ,
Welcome to SB. I can say for myself that a few times in the very beginning of Phase I, I was hungry, but haven't felt that way since. So glad I found SB. Best thing I ever did. You'll find a lot of great information on this board and wonderful people. Good luck to you.

Doreen
Old 07-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #6  
I can do this!

I found that eating lots of veggies (even though I'm not fond of them) was key to staying full during Phase 1. There are a ton of great recipes in the forum here to help you accomplish that goal. Also, make sure you eat your 1/2 cup a day of beans. That really helps you feel full!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #7  

Thanks for the replies guys, great advice on all.
Beachgal: yep! Usagi means rabbit in Japanese. I'm a huge rabbit-fan, you could say. I have a bun now, who I saved from a pet shop near my home, and I've had about 4 buns before him. They have too much personality to pass up as pets, I love them.
Do you have a house-rabbit? My current rabbit is pretty good about using the box, some mistakes but hey, no one is perfect, hehe.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:17 AM   #8  
Conquering with SBD

Welcome to SBD Usagi.

I have been on SBD since May and have only eaten off program foods on 2 occasions. I have found the program really easy to stay on, for me, but I am not a big carb eater at the best of times. The people on this forum that are true carboholics experience cravings, etc. while they are on the program. That doesn't hold for me, because I'm not particularly fond of bread, or potatoes, or rice. My downfall, though, is pasta, but I haven't had any really bad urges to eat it, either. I think that we are all different when it comes to this plan, but (my opinion only), people who love their carbs seem to have a more difficult time.

The plan is perfect for me because I LOVE proteins and fats...I am learning to eat them differently and more healthily, that is for sure, so doing that is my biggest struggle.

I got on this plan when my husband mentioned that several of his staff are following the program. One of DH's staff members and his SO have been on the plan for over a year. They won't eat any other way...their cholesteral levels have improved significantly, they feel much healthier and the plan is easy to follow. I do know that the man eats a donut from Tim Hortons when he and DH go out for coffee (almost every morning), but that is the only time that he does not eat according to the plan.

I am hoping to be able to accomplish the same outcome...
Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #9  
RNMOM

Default Welcome

I think you will find that you aren't hungry when you begin South Beach, but you may find that your taste buds or stomach or mind is really bored. I find even after 6 months, my mouth wants more! I try to get up and out of the house until the sensation passes. Usually 15 minutes and the craving is gone.

Have plenty of legal foods around. Someone said they ate more of the legal stuff than she should have but continued to lose. I agree. Water is key to winning at losing. It does help fill you up.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #10  

There is a lot of flexibility on the plan so it is pretty easy to stick to if you prepare your meals at home. Eating out can be a bit of a challenge especially in phase one. The first two weeks breaks old habits and is this phase you may feel a little tired or crave carbohydrates but you tend to lose a lot of weight in this phase so it is very rewarding. It is important to combine SB Diet with lots of exercise and drink plenty of water. Good luck and welcome to the beach!
Old 07-10-2004, 05:51 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach! As you can see from the other posts, there is lots of support and information here.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #12  

Default Rough Start!

Well, as for "start" I mean, I haven't yet. My grandmother was taken into the hospital friday (shes 91, God bless her!) and so this past weekend was spent in hospital cafeterias and McDonalds' parking lots at 2:00am. Saddly, the diet was the last thing on my mind! But, thankfully, shes a tough lady and her blood presure was stable when I last left the hostpial (This morning at 7:00am for work! ) and she was talking...albiet in Italian but hey! Its a start.
Sorry to vent on the boards, I'm going to try and hit the gym tonight after work..No, not try, I AM GOING! *forces self* hehe. Hopefully, I can fix things with lunch and dinner and get back on track!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:27 AM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

Usagi, welcome to the Beach!
I'm sorry your grandmother hasn't been well. Good to hear that she's stable.
Get to that gym, girl!!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:05 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Hi, Usagi!

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother! Please feel free to vent on the boards, that's what we are here for! You might want to give us daily updates in the daily thread or just start a thread of your own asking for prayers or whatever you need. I'm glad to hear she is doing well! My grandmother is 93, and I thank God for every day we get with her. Sounds like your grandmother is a fighter...hope she continues to feel better!

Yay for house rabbits! : I have two, Bella and Denali, their pictures are posted below (Bella is grey, Denali is white with grey ears). We got Bella from a br**der back when we didn't know better. She was "pet quality" but we think she is gorgeous! Denali was a foster rabbit from HRS, and an intended bondmate for Bella...but that didn't work as well as we hoped. They have been living side by side for over a year now, and I think they are ready to start bonding as soon as I can get some spare time to try it.

Better stop now or I'll be going on forever! I'd love to hear more about your bun...though we should probably take this to PMs (click on the link in the top right of your screen) to avoid boring everyone else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bella_basket1.jpg (35.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, we're not bored at all, darling.
Do you have a program to remove the red-eye from those cute little bunnies?
Closed Thread