Old 07-08-2004, 05:15 AM   #1  

Default Eating late in the evening.....

I've been getting a tad frustrated with the slow rate at which I am losing the pounds (although the inches are shifting fast, so I'm not sure what I'm complaining about, really...)

Anyway, there seems to be lots of contradictory advice out there about the effects on weightloss of eating in the evening. I often have a snack or light meal around 10ish, and go to bed a couple of hours later, and am wondering if this is a bad idea. I'm experimenting this week with only eating protein/fruit/veggies for my 10ish feast, and no carbs at that time......but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to follow a "no eating at all after 8.00pm type rule"....especially since I'm not convinced it makes a difference...

Advice, please!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Claire- I have consulted with a dietician all along my process. She HIGHLY recommends a light snack between 50-100 calories each evening before bed. This is supposed to keep your metabolism going through the night. She said " If you eat dinner at 6-7 in the evening then don't eat breakfast until 12 hours later... that's a long time for your body not to have food and that slows your metabolism down.

So-- I usually eat a handfull of grapes, carrots or other light snack before bedtime.. I haven't run into any problems!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:14 AM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

In researching my plan for nutrition, I have heard the same thing. I always have some low-carb, low-fat yogurt, or blueberries, protein drink and fruit, Healthy Smart Sorbet and Cream Bar (YUMMM!!!!!) or some other low-fat, low-sugar treatsky! Helps me not to feel too deprived also. And I don't feel that it has hindered my loss either. I do, however, usually keep carbs at dinner to a minimum -- only what's in my veggies or salad. And all of it is factored into my daily plan, with my overall ratios held to about 40% protein/ 35% carbs/ 25% fat.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #4  

Hmmm. Thanks guys, that is really helpful. Part of the way I fixed my blood sugar levels is by eating every 3 hours, and I would be loathe to give up my evening munch. My snack is usually fruit/low-fat yogurt/low-fat cheese, so it doesn't sound like its a problem. I think the other thing I'm gonna try is only having the low-glycaemic index carbs before exercising (if I exercise without the carbs I don't get very far, LOL) .....that's no big deal to me, so its worth a try....

you two are a great source of inspiration and motivation to me! many thanks
Old 07-08-2004, 10:37 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

yeah... i agree with these ladies. i've been working with a dietician recently, and she's been a wonderful help... and before i exercise - weights or walking/hiking - i usually eat something, especially if it's been at least 4 hours since my last food.

in the AM: it's usually a wasa cracker with an ounce of turkey and 1 slice of cheese plus some tomato slices. in the evening - around 6 pm before weights [when people with NORMAL lives are eating dinner!!!!] i have a small salad with some cheese and chickpeas.

and she told me to be sure to eat before i go to bed, so that i'm not starving the next day and spending my morning trying to catch up [which just ruiins the insulin levels and keeps the weight on]. and the composition is similar to that first morning 'snack': about 15 g of low GI carbs, about 15 g of protein, and some veggie of some sort.

good luck!!! oh. and notice i'm not going by calories... thank goodness i don't actually have to count them!!!! but i DO have to track the grams of whatever i eat...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:44 AM   #6  
and Cody too!

S/C/G: 265/245/165

Height: 5'6"

Wow. I always assumed that I shouldn't eat after about 7 so that I wouldn't gain while I slept. I wake up so hungry it hurts. I think I will start eating something a little before bed.
JennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:50 AM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I'm curious - How much dairy are you getting daily?? I know in WW, they are really big into getting your 3 servings a day. They say it will make a big difference in your weight loss.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hey, Sandi -- I almost always have 5 oz. of skim milk and 4 oz. of cottage cheese during the day. Then, I'd say maybe 4 days of the week, I have 4 oz. of nonfat, low-sugar (usually plain) yogurt. I also take a calcium supplement. They probably recommend it because of a study that came out recommending increased calcium levels for increased weight loss, particularly in abdominal fat. As yet, it has not been universally accepted, but I think at the very least, as women it's important that we increase our calcium intake to prevent loss in bone density. We need to be careful with the saturated fat and sodium, though, as one or both can be present in dairy sources!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I usually don't eat after 9 p.m. It keeps me from binging on foods. Occassionally I'll have some popcorn with Jeff a couple nights a week at like 9:30 but I'm an early bird and usually go to bed between 10 and midnight.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Most of the time I have a full dinner an hour before bed. I have had no problems with this. I read somewhere a year or two ago that it does not matter when you eat. If you eat 12600 calories a week like I do, from week to week you are still going to lose because that is the amout of calories you lose at. So if your plan allows for it I say go ahead and eat.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

When I'm eating right and exercising, I usually find myself truly hungry (as opposed to emotionally hungry) around 10:30 p.m., so I'll usually eat some yogurt or a piece of fruit.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #12  

Thanks guys - you all seem to be saying my late night healthy snack shouldn't be causing any problems, so I am chomping away as I type......I'lle see if matching the low GI carbs to my exercise patterns does anything, and if not, I will just continue to accept the slow rate of weight loss with good grace....(she says through gritted teeth, LOL)...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #13  
Live for the Moment!

I agree with everyone here - eating in the evening is fine as long as its still within your plan for the day. I always get hungry around 10pm watching TV before bed, and have fruit, light popcorn, yogourt or a real-fruit popsicle. I didn't eat last night before bed and I woke up famished this morning.

Sandi - Does the dairy really help with weight loss?

I should really try and get more milk in my diet...
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote