Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2004, 03:23 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Unhappy Good shoes?

Alright, I think the pair of exercise shoes I bought four years ago have officially worn out. I wore them kayaking last week and now they are just a bit stinky.

So...I have to get new shoes, and I'm pretty uncomfortable about it. I'd rather buy jeans at this point! I am so unknowledgeable about exercise wear and gear that I feel like a total fool.

Can you guys give me some tips on how to pick the right pair of shoes, please? I mostly work out on the elliptical machine, but sometimes use the bike, and also do Jazzercise along with belly dancing videos. I'm assuming I would want some kind of cross training shoe that I could also wear for long walks. I have flat feet, so I assume I want some kind of arch, too.

Thanks for your help...I need some "armor" before I'm faced with Cocky-Know-it-All-Shoe-Salesboy. *shiver*
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:14 PM   #2  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Shoes

Hi Laurie!
I'd suggest going to a shop that specializes in running gear. Tell them what you want to be able to do so they can advise you on what type of shoe to get. They will measure your foot, have you walk to see your gait and your instep, and then have you try on multiple pairs of shoes to see what feels best and works best for you. Don't forget to get several pairs of socks there too. If you get a Know-It-All SalesBoy, ask to speak to the owner or walk out. You don't have to put up with that nonsense.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #3  
Meg

I agree with Tig about finding a knowledgeable shoe store and salespeople. I was having a lot of foot problems and went to a store called Fleet Feet (they're a chain) where they put me on a treadmill and watched me run. Then they measured my feet and had me try on a dozen or more pairs of shoes until I found the perfect ones. They were very patient and wanted me to find exactly the right shoes. Boy, does it make a difference!

I've heard that shoes should be replaced every three to six months due to the padding breaking down and no longer supporting your foot correctly. I don't know if it's true, but a new pair of shoes always feels so great!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:23 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Good points, ladies! Would Finish Line ( http://www.finishline.com/store/ )be a good store? I think, other than Dick's Sporting Goods (where I got my last pair), it's the only sports shoe minded store we have in town.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #5  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Call em!

ONLY MY OPINION (and you get what you pay for ): They've got the right kinds of shoes hidden amongst all those department-store-type-wanna-be-athletic shoes and they have Thorlo sox, so that could be a start. Remember not to think that the most expensive shoes are what you should buy.

Give them the acid test. Call them and tell them you need help finding the right shoe and ask them what they do. See if they say anything like what we've suggested...

By the way, I love Dick's Sporting Goods, I've purchased hiking boots from them in the past and they did a good job of fitting me. I'm not sure about running/walking shoes though.

If neither place sounds knowledgable, I think it would be worth your while to drive a bit.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Laurie, I did a review on running/walking shoes just a couple of weeks ago, I'll bump it up for you girly, I showcased 4 or 5 different brands of shoes. Hope it helps

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It is very important to replace your shoes once a year (at least-more often if you run/walk a lot) for proper support.
Since you Jazzercise, bike, and do treadmill/eliptical...I would recommend a cross training shoe. It is important to get a walking shoe if you are a walker, running shoe if you are a runner, etc. because they support your gait and are weighted differently for the different exercise. Your belly dancing does not apply, as that is done barefoot.
I also recommend that you see a good shoe store that will fit your feet to a shoe. My husband pronates really badly (he walks on the "insides" of his feet-the inner ankles "lean in towards each other.") and he needs shoes with firm support in the instep...while my neighbor walks on the outsides of his feet REALLY bad. (I can see it from across the street! ) Some people with really narrow or wide feet can have fitting problems as well-such as pinching, rubbing, etc.
You will be happy that you took the extra time.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

very good points aphil!!! funny thing.....I saw a woman at the gym the other day walking the treadmill in platform shoes and they weren't just 2-3 inches they were like 6-7 inches lol it was hilarious!
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote