WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2001, 06:37 AM   #1  

hi there, does anybody know if cauliflower is a free veggie. i have just discovered it cooked with a little bit of skim milk and a lot of pepper is great. But is it no points or about 6?

thanks for any help.
Old 01-08-2001, 06:52 AM   #2  

Cauliflower is definitely a free veggie, just count the points for the milk you use. Depending on the amount you use, 1 cup of skim milk is 2 points, if it's very little, like less than 1/4 cup, I wouldn't count it.

Elizabeth
Old 01-08-2001, 07:05 AM   #3  

wow Elizabeth, thanks for answering so fast.

I always feel like if I eat the some extreme amount (like the whole cauliflower I just ate) I should count it as a couple of points anyway.

But did you guys know that if you cook a whole cauliflower with 1/4 cup milk and some pepper (I didn't even bother with the fake butter stuff) -- then stick it in you blender until it's light and fluffy - it's almost as good as mashed potatoes. I guess with other stuff like baco bits or salso or a bit of cheese you could vary it.

Old 01-08-2001, 07:04 PM   #4  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

An old fashioned style also works well with zucchini. Just add some milk and pepper to sliced summer squash near the end of cooking. It makes a very nice sauce for very few points. It's also a nice change of pace.
Old 01-08-2001, 08:18 PM   #5  
Getting better every day!

In the past I have cooked cauliflower and sprayed I can't believe it's not butter spray on it-delicious!

------------------
Donna
[email protected] (work)
[email protected](home)
Old 01-08-2001, 09:18 PM   #6  

Years ago on the old, old, WW program, mashed cauliflower was used as a mashed potato substitute. I think I also had a recipe where tuna and some other spices were mixed in to make a tuna burger. They were good.
Old 01-08-2001, 11:36 PM   #7  

Ginaki, you took the words right out of my fingers. I remember mashed cauliflouwer 'potatoes'.

------------------

Ann P
Old 01-09-2001, 12:45 AM   #8  

I just happened to make a cauliflower casserole dish last night. Mixed with sour cream, onion and cheese it was very good. My husband and daughter didn't even know it was cauliflower. It's already gone!!
Pat
Old 01-09-2001, 02:26 AM   #9  

A good "topper" for cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, baked potatoes, actually almost any veggie is the Tostitos brand Chili Con Queso cheese sauce. At 2 tablespoons for 40 calories, I allow myself 3 tablespoons (a lot!) for a point. It really livens up any veggie. Can't live without it now! :-)

Helen

[This message has been edited by Helen B (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 02:52 AM   #10  

I love mashed cauliflower. It takes very little cream cheese, margarine, butter, olive oil, or milk (whatever you choose) to flavor it nicely. It's also low in carbs, if you are trying to please everyone. Cook it to death before mashing. I use frozen cauliflower and it works fine. Haven't made this in a while but I think I will soon.

I've also used mashed cauliflower to "lighten up" other potato dishes, such as potato kugel. I made a kugel last spring that was 1/2 grated potato and 1/2 mashed cauliflower and grated carrot, using egg beaters in place of eggs. Not half bad.

Old 01-09-2001, 03:50 AM   #11  
REC

My mother joined WW when it was new--in the 60's. I remember her making a good cauliflower soup. In blender, put cauliflower, chicken broth and spices (onion powder, perhaps). She added enough broth to make a medium-thick soup and I remember it being very good.

I'm a fan of plain veggies (just steamed, nothing on them), but made this modified recipe (below)and liked it: cook cauliflower florets and when finished add a can of stewed tomatatos and curry powder. Start with 1 T of curry powder and add more if you need.

Here's the original Curried Potatoes and Cauliflower recipe: 1 medium chopped onion, 3 cloves of chopped garlic, 1T chopped fresh ginger and 1T oil sauteed until onions clear. Add 4 cubed medium potatoes and 1/2 cup water. When potatos starting to get soft, add cauliflower florets and 3 T curry powder and cook til tender. Add 1 chopped tomato. salt to taste.
Old 01-09-2001, 06:35 AM   #12  

wow thanks for all the great cauliflower ideas.

and i just bought some curry powder and was looking for a recipie to use it in.
Old 01-16-2001, 12:23 AM   #13  
Former cheese-oholic

Took a tip from you all and tried cooking the cauliflower with skim milk and whipping it up in the blender. Was I ever impressed! I loved it. Not quite the consistency of mashed potatoes -- it was kinda pasty -- but oh so good!
Old 01-16-2001, 03:19 AM   #14  

I made the mashed cauliflower Bumby referred to just last night. It's my latest addiction. I'll take a whole head and cook til soft. Then I'll mash it with 2-3T of light cream cheese, salt and pepper. Yum!
Old 01-16-2001, 04:43 AM   #15  

thanks for all the cauliflower tips. I love cauli any way, but a variation on a theme can't be bad! I'm off to invest in a cauliflower farm.
Closed Thread