South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default You should see me

First of all, I just did something I haven't done in 7 years. I shaved my armpits. And I'm already regretting it. It just doesn't look right under there.
I shaved because I'm about to go to my first ever aquafit class. I haven't worn a bathing suit in almost 20 years. And I'm not wearing one now. I'm wearing one of those sleeveless black one-piece shorts thingys. And I'm wearing a black sports bra and black underwear underneath just for the sake of security. I had no idea my stomach was so big. I can't even suck it in anymore. I look inutterably ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. I tried wearing lose shorts overtop, but that just made things worse. I wonder if I could wear my shoulder bag into the water...
And what about glasses? Last time I was in the water I wore contacts. Do I take them off? Wear them? Maybe I'll jam them on top of my head in case I need them. What a mess. I'm going to be the laughing stock of the pool.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:21 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You ARE not! Lots of people shave their armpits! ROFLOLPIMP!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:26 PM   #3  
This time I'll do it!!

I feel the same exact way you do each & every day. How about a bathing suit with a cute skirt? If you feel uncomfortable you can put a cropped T-shirt over it. Make yourself comfortable. Believe me, those gals in the pool won't be looking much different. You will not be the laughing stock of the pool. I want to cry when I hear you say that. I refuse to wear jeans until I lose the weight. I live in 98 degrees (Sarasota) & on weekends I wear skirts to go out while everyone else (in all sizes) wear shorts & slacks. I'm determined now to stick to this so I don't have to ever feel that way again. Don't wear your glasses, they'll get wet, if you have contact lenses, it should be alright to wear them as long as they don't get wet. Please let us know how you make out with your class. All the best. India.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #4  

OK, I am fairly savvy when it comes to message board lingo (met my hubby on line, as a matter of fact), but what does "ROFLOLPIMP" mean?

LOL ellis, you should weigh yourself now cause you might have lost a few pounds of armpit hair after 7 years - ROFL!

If you have contacts wear them cause your glasses will get all splashed up.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh, ellis, my dear! You really will be fine. Just walk into that pool pretending you are wearing a tiara and carrying a long stemmed red rose. I did that when I started aquafit a few years ago and it worked like a charm! You could also pretend that I'm walking right behind you. You will enjoy it. It's lovely to feel weightless!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #6  

Ellis sweetie, you will feel the water on your limbs. Delicious. Do not forget to notice. and the less hair the more wonderful that feels.....really. Have you ever shaved your legs then put silk trousers on? If not that is one to try....but swimming will feel like that. mmmmmmmmm. Anyhow did you ever hear a tuna say 'Oh, I am too fat to go swimming today?' No, you did not.

Last time I did aqua class actually I ended up giggling my whole way through to the point that the instructer asked me to step aside as I was distracting people. I think I was having a nervous reaction.....but I could not stop laughing laughing laughing at the underwater star jumps, running sideways under water (?!) and etc etc.

And Ellis. Take your underwear off. Really. It will be ok.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #7  

India, I never thought of wearing a tank over top! Thank you!... going to get one right now... it should smooth the edges down. And, yes... if I'm going to become a regular in the pool, I'd better shop around for a skirted bathing suit.

Wendy, you're right! I may have lost quite a bit shaving!

Ruth, where's the smiley where I'm shaking my fist at you?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:40 PM   #8  

Oh, Clovey, it sounds lovely. However, I can't possibly take off my underwear. What if something happens?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #9  

I thought that when 'something happens' that was when the knickers well and truely came off..........
Old 07-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Ellis!!! GOOD for you for geoing to class! Water aerobics is the best! I did that even back when I was never exercising. My friend Sue and I would go and chat through the class and I didn't even know I was working out! Definitely a suit with a skirt, though be aware that the skirt often flips up when you get to running in the water, and so I often tucked the edges under my leg elastics when I got in, so it wouldn't flip up. And a tank top over it is great. But you will look amazing compared to most people in the class, so don't be worried! Go with Ruth's rose and tiara idea, and have a ball! Wish we could go together...it would be great fun!

BTW, when did you stop shaving your pits? You little continental girl, you! I shave my pits every day, even in the winter. Clovey's right...things feel much better with no hair! And the water is lovely, especially on a hot day! Enjoy!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #11  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YEESH!!! AND YOU GOT DOWN ON ME WHEN I SHAVED MY PITS ABOUT A YEAR AGO!!!!
Haven't done it since either! Too itchy and burny and YUCK!!! (But the hair didn't grow back as thick either, so maybe it was worth it!!!)

LISTEN-I understand how you feel sweetie, because I feel that way a lot too. But everyone in the class is there to GET or STAY fit. I bet a lot of the other women there will be feeling the same way. Try to let go and just enjoy it!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Ellis you will be great I just know it!!! Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway!!! I wish I lived closer and I could go with you Did ya know I just bought a new suit, I've decided I don't care anymore and I"m gettin in the pool this summer!!! My kids won't suffer cuz I'm a fatty boombalattie lol
Old 07-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #13  
Conquering with SBD

Ellis - you are soooo good with the descriptions. LOL

However, I agree with everyone else. I think that you are the only one who will notice anything. Remember, you are becoming more fit and that is way more important than what anyone else thinks of the way you look.

Like Ruth says...walk with you head held high. You deserve every bit.

P.S. Waiting to hear the description of the class...
Old 07-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #14  

Oh, you're all soooo sweet. Thank you, girls.

God, I looked GREAT compared to some of those women! No, that's not true. They all looked wonderful. There was only one young babe, but she smiled at me several times, so I forgave her her perfect body.

There was an absolutely enormous older woman. I think she'd been drinking previous to getting into the pool. Her bathing cap was cocked over one eye, and she looked vaguely unsteady. She was wearing a regular old bathing suit, and I figure if she can get away with it, so can I.
One elderly lady wore her big white support bra under her one-piece suit, and it was perfectly visible from the back.
There was a large young woman who kept trying to develop a personal relationship with the instructor during the class. She was crazy. She was all over the place. (My own movements were comparitively controlled.)

I worked out like crazy, and I'm hoping to be sore tomorrow. At one point, I thought I was having a heart attack, but I gamely kept at it.

India, the tank top didn't work out. It kept floating up around my neck and hitting me in the face while I was doing jumping-jacks. I ended up taking it off mid-class.

The worst part was getting out of the pool. That's when it got really messy. I flung my towel around me, and by the time I got to the showers, it was already soaked. I showered, then slopped my way to the change area. Remembered that we're supposed to dry off properly and not trail water into the change room. Too late, I was standing in this HUGE puddle of water, and slopping it around on the people either side of me who were trying to get changed for a workout in the gym. I apologized left and right, and slunk into the hair-dryer area. Thank God there was no one in there. I stood under a dryer for an eternity, then grabbed my sodden towel and shut myself in a little change booth in the corner. There's only one booth in there, and it's for losers who don't want anyone to see them in the nude. No one uses it. They just prance about butt naked.
Clovey, you were right. I should NOT have worn my underwear in there. All I had to change into was a dry pair of pale blue pants (well, they were dry until I dropped them on the floor) and a long-sleeved black shirt. I decided I'd better take off my wet underwear if I didn't want to completely embarrass myself walking to the car. I left my bra on, though. It made quite a visible mark under my otherwise dry shirt.

Oh, and Ruth, I couldn't believe it when I got out of the pool! I felt like I weighed 600 pounds!! How bizarre!
Anyhow, it was a lot of fun, and I'll do it again. I wish you'd all been there with me. It would have been a **** of a giggle to have you there.

Michelle, congratulations on the new suit! Pictures, please!

(Den, sorry about the shave job. I felt the need to fit in for once.)

Laurie, it's LOVELY not shaving under your arms! You get used to it after about two years. Honestly!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:10 PM   #15  

Ellis, you're my heroine! I think it's wonderful that you're going top water erobics. For a suit, try www.landsend.com. Land's End has a line they call "kindest cut" suits -- made for those who choose not to flaunt the whole shebang! And their control suits are superb! Try these!
http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/...66739251115560

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0...66739251115560
Closed Thread