Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-05-2004, 02:48 PM   #1  

Question Questions about BFL

Hi all,
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks as I consider getting back into weights with a BFL Challenge. I recently got the book out from the library as I hadn't read it in a couple of years. I had a few questions that those of you that have done BFL-esque things might be able to weigh in on.

Is is necessary to do the cardio and lifting on different days? Logistically, it would be easier for me to have a longer workout 3 days a week with both. Is it just too much to try to do to your body?

On a related note, is the workout first thing in the morning just the author's preference, or does it make a real difference? I'm the exact opposite of a morning person, and I can't imagine ever getting up early enough to workout and shower before work.

Thanks for any feedback,
Laura
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:15 PM   #2  

Hi Laura,
I'm not sure that you could get the same intensity in doing your cardio and weights on the same day, but I do know that many people have done it - their circumstances being the same as yours. I do cardio following my lifting workouts, but not the interval-type training that is outlined in the BFL book. I'm usually too exhausted after lifting for that. The most important thing is finding something that works for you and suits your lifestyle. If your circumstances call for that, then you do what you've gotta do, right? As far as the morning workouts, again, this has to suit *you* - lots of people do their workouts in the evening. The morning/evening debate is ongoing, and I'm not sure that anyone will ever come up with a conclusive answer to which is better. If you've got more intensity in you at 5:00pm, then obviously that will be the ideal time for you to work out, as you will be able to give it your all. You might be surprised on the AM workouts though - after a few weeks, it just became part of my routine - and provided me with so many additional benefits - more alert/productive at the office, in a healthier midset for the remainder of the day, etc.

Just my .02 Welcome to the board!

-Colleen
wcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:10 PM   #3  
Mel

Hi Laura,
I second what Colleen told you. I did the am workouts for exactly one week, and discovered that for me, weights were really dangerous on an empty stomach. The debate on lifting or doing cardio on an empty stomach is ongoing- it really comes down to finding a way that it becomes a lifestyle for you, not just a 12 week ordeal to suffer through. I have done workouts in the morning once I've eat and am fully awake, and workouts in the late afternoon. As long as you do it with intensity, and keep your nutrition clean, it's going to work.

Since I lift 4 or 5 days a week, I also do cardio after lifting. I don't do the all-out HIIT or sprints anymore, but I'm not trying to take off much fat at this point. The only problem with doing cardio after weights, is that you really only have enough energy reserves to do a max of 1 to 1 1/2 hours of exercise before your body starts to burn muscle for fuel. Once the glycogen stores in your liver are depleted, your body starts to use protein (muscle) to power itself. It will burn muscle before fat. If you do both cardio and lifting on the same day, make sure you keep your workout under 1 1/4 hours. Otherwise you are going to burn up any muscle gains which you might have had.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #4  

Colleen and Mel,
Thanks very much for your replies. Regarding the morning thing, when I was in grad school and had nothing pressing first thing in the morning, I did use to get up, eat breakfast, and then go work out. I liked it a lot, but I can't imagine doing it on an empty stomach.

It sounds like both of you do cardio after lifting. Is this the usual order?

Thanks again,
Laura
Old 07-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #5  
Mel

Cardio after lifting, yes. Some people disagree, but it really comes down to goals. If you are trying to build muscle in order to burn fat, do your lifting first. If you are an endurance athlete, doing long cardio sessions, don't ever do them in the same session.
Since you are just starting back on a weightlifting program, I'd do the lifting first and make sure that you have the energy to complete your sets with good form, to failure. Ideally, you would do the cardio on a different day, but if the reality of life says no, do cardio after lifting.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:02 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I do cardio pretty much daily now and I do it after lifting, I like to have my energy for lifting...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:47 PM   #7  
cookies are for browsers

Hello Laura,

I hope my experience helps you - I'm not a pro but I've finished 4 challenges and consider them successful.

I have plantar fasciitis which causes severe foot pain in the mornings. Which pretty much rules out "first thing" cardio! I did almost all of my workouts in the afternoons or evenings. If I had to miss a day I knew I'd be too exhausted to do back-to-back lifting and cardio, so I'd do cardio at lunch and lifting in the evening or vice-versa. Splitting it up like that was easier for my body to recover. Yes it's best to keep the workout to the day it should be, but sometimes you do have to play catch-up.

Hope that helps. Good luck to you!!!!! and keep posting, we want to hear about your success!

Jennifa
jennifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #8  

Thanks for all the replies and advice, ladies. I've decided to do a 5k run in September and am going to get in a training routine with that before I start lifting seriously again. Plus, I might be moving so I don't want to get locked into a gym at the moment. But I will stick around and let you know how it goes!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:19 AM   #9  
Meg

Please do stick around! Most of aren't doing BFL anyway -- we're all doing our own plans and sharing info and support -- it's a lot of fun!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote