South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:14 AM   #1  

Question Manic Semantics

Yesterday I was going through a recipe site trying to find something interesting when I noticed that I was saying "can't have that... can't have that" in my head to recipes that would put me off plan. I realized that when I see a recipe with okra in it (my least favourite food), I just say "don't like that" or "don't want that" to myself.

I decided to admit that what I WANT is to be on program, so when I see an inappropriate recipe or food I should say "I don't WANT to make that one". Small difference, but it changed my perspective.

Does anyone else remember something they used to say to themselves and have now revised?
Old 07-03-2004, 03:51 PM   #2  
Conquering with SBD

I look through recipes and say, "Can I can change that recipe by substituting off program foods for OP foods?"
Old 07-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #3  

I have spend a long time on this plan having to convince myself that I really enjoy vegies. I used to be really limited on what I would eat (vegie wise) and this made sb diet recipes pretty difficult because none of them were very appealing. After a couple of months of lean meats and salads they are all looking pretty appetising. I guess that means I am reprogramming myself. I found it pretty hard to change my eating habits to start with. I was just fortunate to lose quite a lot of weight in the beginning so this kept me motivated to keep going. But yes you are correct, you need to decide that this is the plan for you and WANT to follow the program.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi
Does anyone else remember something they used to say to
themselves and have now revised?
I used to think there was no way I would ever be able to feel full on a meal that included only meat and veggies or meat and a salad.

It's amazing to me now, that I can have chicken shishkebabs with a salad, and totally feel like I've eaten dinner.

Now, to make myself believe that I don't like chocolate... Yeah, right! That's a lifelong battle.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:56 PM   #5  

I am getting really into grilling vegetables very frequently. I am starting to really like it.
I still miss the little sides like mashed potatoes or rice but I am getting used to it.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #6  
I found my hipbones!

My biggest surprises on this diet have been yellow squash, zucchini, and sweet potatoes. All of the above were food items that I never allowed to cross my lips for a long time. In part, I think I disliked them so much b/c of the way my mom fixed them. Sweet potatoes were always smothered in brown sugar and marshmallows...blech. Way too much sweetness for me. The squash she made was always really bland and mushy. My mom is one awesome lady, but cooking wasn't her bag. So yeah, any recipes I ever came across with those items were automatically discounted before.

Also, I never thought I would crave salads before b/c they never filled me up, but I usually bring one for lunch every day now and I look forward to it.

And MittenNKim, I completely get what you mean about dinner seeming wrong for it just to be protein and veggies. Dinner seemed really off balance for a while with no starch involved. We used to eat a lot of instant noodle or rice dishes with supper. I fixed some of those noodles for my husband a few weeks ago, and he doesn't even like them anymore. Said he kinda prefers the veggies now.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:34 AM   #7  

This is so weird. I had friends for dinner tonight and I went back for seconds of vegies because they were so nice. I used to put all my creative juices into making the meat or starch taste good but with sb diet I've had to be creative with salads and vegies so now I enjoy them as much as the meat, and can't even stomach the starches (unless its bread of course - hopefully that one will pass as well).
Closed Thread