South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 12:54 PM   #1  

Default Thinking about trying this one..

Hello everyone - I just got done reading the SBD website and taking the tour to sample it out. I spent this past week counting calories and fat, and did really well, but ended up gaining weight. I just don't think I am getting things right.

A friend suggested trying the SBD and so I came here to see what you all think of it? How hard is it to follow that first phase? Will I still be able to do my normal activities without feeling weak? (Softball, and chores at the farm- which includes LOTS of walking/shoveling )

I am not sure I can say no to all breads and pastas and stuff. But at least on this diet you are allowed some veggies and salads and stuff that first few weeks right?

Anyway, some success stories, and general feelings about the diet would be great. Also, if you think that joining the website really helps, or if you can save a few bucks and just buy the books.

Thanks!
Renee
Old 07-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #2  

Most of us do not belong to the official website. We find tons of information here. You really should buy the book. I probably refer to the Good Fats/Good Carbs book more often though.

It is considered very important not to cheat on Phase 1. You may feel some weakness (some feel it more than others) but if you make sure you are getting enough vegetables (especially beans) and drink plenty of water then you may be able to do everything you were doing before. You just may need to take it a little slower. Two weeks is not that long. The important thing is to make sure you plan and have enough food on hand that you can eat.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:44 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

That's good advice from Barb. Being right on program for the first two weeks is extremely important as your body needs to de-tox. Be sure you eat enough and remember that legumes are an important part of Phase I, particularly if you are physically active. This is NOT a low carb plan!
Old 07-02-2004, 04:02 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Renee!
Old 07-02-2004, 04:05 PM   #5  

Uh oh... legumes, beans? Like what kind of beans? I can't stomach green beans at all!!! And the only kind of bean I like is black refried on a burrito.

And, well, it's just not in me to take it easy at a softball game. Especially going into the playoffs.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Check out the book. I'm talking lentils, chick peas and black and kidney beans.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #7  

The Taco Bake recipe in the Recipe Forum uses fat free refried beans. It is wonderful. For Phase 1 you could eat it with lettuce, ff sour cream, salsa etc. Pretty much everything except the tortilla which you can add in during Phase 2. It is really yummy. Black beans are great in soup too!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #8  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the Beach. I would save you money on the offical website I joined for awhile but then found this forum and got tons more info and support here.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #9  
Conquering with SBD

Welcome Renee.

I did Phase 1 for 5 1/2 weeks. The incentive to do that came from my dr. I had an appointment before I had some surgery, and he gave me a hard time about my weight. My cholesteral was up a bit, as well. He suggested that I omit carbs and sugar from my diet for a month and see what happened. When I went home, DH was telling me that a lot of his staff at work were on SBD. When I read the book and found out a bunch of info, it looked like what my dr. had recommended, however, more informally.

Since the dr. told me to go a month, I decided to do Phase 1 for 4 weeks, then extended it the extra 1 1/2 weeks because my surgery was booked for then. The only time that I felt light headed was at the end of the first week. After that, I seemed to adjust and everything went well. I have lost more weight, more easily on SBD than I have on any other diet. I was on WW for about a year, lost all the weight that I needed to lose, but had to be very disciplined to do that. I also discovered that I was starving myself. SBD is much easier to follow, with just a few rules that are necessary.

Good luck.
Closed Thread