Old 07-01-2004, 06:36 AM   #1  

Default Why Why Why??

Last night I just totally let blueberry coffeecake and ice cream overrule my better judgement. And to come totally clean, the earlier parts of the day weren't so great either. Grrrr. I haven't thrown in the towel but I sure feel like doing it. Sometimes I feel like WW just serves to keep me food-oriented and I then set out to cheat the system. I'm the person who'll eat 3 WW Ice Cream treats in one day and figure I haven't gone over my points so what's the harm. That's stupid and I KNOW it!! Double Grrrr. Would somebody take the ice cream scooper and smack me with it please?!?! I gotta get a grip... Today will be very unorganized and I'm trying to plan for it. My daughter is having surgery at noon (ACL reconstruction due to soccer injury). We'll be at the hospital all day today. So far I have a water bottle packed. I just don't want to get so hungry I come home and eyeball that coffeecake and figure "what the ****". Ya know??? Thanks for wading through this post..Have a great day everyone!!!
Barb
Barb1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:39 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

Barbara - there was this great story that was circulating in AlAnon when I started many years ago.

This man is walking down the street, he turns a corner, and suddenly he falls in a hole. Didn't see it, just boom - he was in a hole. So, he climbs out and goes on his way.

Next day, this man is walking down the street, he turns a corner, and suddenly he falls in a hole. Didn't see it, just boom - he was in a hole. So, he says, I recognize this hole, climbs out and goes on his way.

Next day, this man is walking down the street, he turns a corner, and suddenly he falls in a hole. Didn't see it, just boom - he was in a hole. So, he says, Darnit! I KNOW this hole, climbs out and goes on his way.

Next day, this man is walking down the street, he turns a corner, and he sees a hole. But it's too late, and he falls in. He says, well, at least this time, I saw it.

Next day, this man is walking down the street, he turns a corner, and he sees a hole. And he says, I know that hole, steps around it, and goes on his way.

Next day, this man is walking down the street. He decides to take a new way to work.

It's a process, and the worst days are the days when you KNOW you fell in the hole again.

Sue
278/272/160
SW/CW/GW
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I really like that analogy, Sue.

Barbara, the only thing you can really do is look ahead. So what! you cheated. The cake looked darn good and it got the best of you. The only direction is toward the future and you get to pick your path to get there. Don't let a few little mishaps get you down, because you can do it.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #4  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

You talk about cheating. Don't let one day or one meal of eating bad cheat you out of a lifetime of happiness and healthiness. You can do this. Pick up the pieces and move on. You’re stronger than you think.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:53 PM   #5  
Live for the Moment!

Don't fall off track because you had a couple little "glitches". You are a strong woman and you can do this. The key is that when you do "slip", not to completely fall of track and you'll be fine. I used to think "well i'm already over my calories, so what the ****" - then I'd eat whatever I wanted for that day... Now, if I have a treat i'm like "well i'm over my calories, but i don't want to be over them by anymore than I am" and right then and there I pick up and restart.

Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #6  

Yep, I agree with everything that has been said here. One day does not constitute failure. Pick yourself up and dust off and give it another try. I don't think one person here can say that they stayed completely faithful on their journey. And if there are some then they are saints..hehe...Barb don't beat yourself up over it. I know it is a much bigger issue then you messing up for one day. You are worried that you are going to keep doing it because you can't control the craving. I hear ya on that. It just takes some really powerful self-control. Also, don't let yourself get growling stomach hungry or else you will grab for stuff that you should not. Barb, you can do this!!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I totally agree with all the posters, and particularly like Sue's analogy. You might want to consider not bringing any treats in the house (WW or otherwise) until you feel more emotionally ready.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Don't give up!!! One day doesn't doom you! You can do it! Get yourself pumped up for the challenge.. Try ditching that bad food! Stay away from the "treats" until you have stabilized your eating pattern then eventually--gradually, re-introduce those things. Trust me, stick with it for a few weeks, and you won't even miss that bad food! YOU CAN DO IT!!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Don't beat yourself up over having a treat. It's when you are constantly giving yourself a treat you have to worry. You have to remember this is something you are doing for the rest of your life. It was one meal (or 3) in one day of your life. Considering the average woman lives to be 76 (it may be higher now but that's the last number I remember) that is 27,760 days. One of those days you didn't eat as healthy as you should. So what. Get right back in there with the next meal and throw out that cake if you think you are going to go back home and eat it.

If it is something you really want to eat (If I start obsessing over something I'll usually simmer a couple of days on it and if the feeling doesn't pass will give in.) then take the time to actually measure out your serving size, eat each bite really really slowly and then get rid of the rest...give it to neighbors if you can't throw out food but keep it away from you if it is a trigger food for you.

You CAN do this. We're all here for you.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #10  

I like Sue's analogy too, nice way to look at it. This takes time and there are going to be setbacks along the way but at least you can recognize it for what it is (just a setback) and move on. A binge can and will hit even the most disciplined of us. All you can do is not let it ruin the rest of your day, week, month, etc. and move on. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself, we've all been there and will be again.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:40 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone. I needed those posts so much. I'm afraid today wasn't so great, but sitting in the hospital for 10 hours is challenging. I made the best choices that I could make and I'm gonna just forget it and drive on and not look in the rear view mirror! LOL!! My daughter's surgery went great and now we're on to recovery. Take care all!!
Barb
Barb1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:11 AM   #12  

Hey Barb

Glad your daughter's surgery went great, and that you found the strength to make the best choices you could make on a difficult day. Sounds like you've picked yourself up, and you're heading back on track....way to go!

Can't add a lot to the many words of wisdom here, but I have found it helpful to plan a bit of a strategy for those difficult times and trigger foods......whether its the measured portions/planning in a daily/weekly treat, or the total abstinence approach, I've found that once I have established the 'rules' that work for me, its a lot easier to stick to them......
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:25 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Barb - so glad to hear that your daughter's surgery went well!!

Sue - They used that same story at WW this week. I just love it!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote