Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 06:47 AM   #1  
i luv my dog!

Default 2004 Bake-Off rip-off recipe

Yesterday the winners of the Pillsbury Bake-Off were announced and the recipes, along with those of all the finalists, were put up on their web site.
I found one that sounded good but was too high calorie ( Mushroom Crab Asparagus Tart - 380 cal. for 1/8 serving - http://www.pillsbury.com/bakeoff/rec...recipeID=42862 ) and too pricey, so I made my own modified version of it with ingredients I already had. Mine turned out more like a casserole than a tart, but I like it and its much lower cal. (205 for 1/6 serving). I don't have a name for it but its basically a

Green Bean Casserole

1.5 c. fresh green beans, cooked and cut into bite size peices
1/2 small onion, slivered
1 pat margarine (about 1/2 tbsp.)
2 - 7oz cans cut mushrooms
1/2 c. granulated soy
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. chicken boullion granules
1 - 4.5 oz can chicken breast meat
2.5 tbsp. chive and onion cream cheese
1 - 16oz carton egg whites
1 tbsn. fresh chives, chopped
1/2 tbsp. Ms. Dash (or preferred seasoning)

Drain mushrooms in colander reserving 1/2 c. liquid. Heat mushroom liquid in microwave about 1-2 min. Add boullion. Add liquid mixture to soy and let stand. (this step may be modified depending on the type of soy you use. The next time I make this I will be omitting the extra liquid and adding the boullion to the eggs.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cooking dish with non-stick spray. (I used a shallow, oval Pyrex 1.8 liter white Classic French style with plastic lid). Toss mushrooms with soy and line bottom and side of pan. Sprinkle with pepper. Spread cheddar evenly over bottom layer, followed by green beans, and then chicken.

Meanwhile in small skillet melt butter over med. heat and gently saute onions.
In mixing bowl or blender, combine egg whites, cream cheese, sauted onions, 1/2 of cut chives, and Ms. Dash. Blend well (if hand blending the cream cheese may still be lumpy, that's OK).

Pour egg mixture evenly over dish and and bake 40 to 50 minutes (may vary with metal pans, other variables,etc.) until set in center and edges are beginning to brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining chives over top and let stand 10 min. before serving.

If using 1.8 liter shallow ceramic cooking dish, makes 6 servings at 205 calories.

NOTES: The original recipe is for a tart, so it probably had a crispier bottom than this one. Here, the soy is not crispy, but rather like tofu, taking on the texture and flavor of the rest of the dish.
I will definitely make this again, with an eye toward more experimentation!

Guten appetit!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:50 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Ooh this sounds great! I'm a soy novice - is granulated soy the same as TVP? Probably not, but I've never seen granulated soy.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #3  
i luv my dog!

HI Jennifer, I'm a soy novice also. This was actually my first trial with granulated soy!!(I've used the frozen Boca type in chili many times before, but that's different)

I don't know if granulated soy is the same as TVP/ISP or not. I would be willing to bet there are some differences because I am in Germany and purchased my soy from the health food section of a German store. My package doesn't list any added ingredients, though.

Can any of you more experienced soy users out there shed some light on this?

By the way, this recipe is SOOO easy ;-)
Old 07-02-2004, 07:26 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

I'm going to post this question in the veggie forum at Alternachicks and see if they can shed some light!
Closed Thread