Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM   #1  

Default Quitting smoking...7/1/04

Alas, I have decided to give up smoking. I did not smoke during my pregnancy and picked it up again when my daughter was a few months old. I am a fool for picking it back up! I don't know why I torture myself like this. Honestly, kicking the tobacco addiction for me is going to be ten times worse than weight loss.

If you all don't care I will probably journal the first week here. I need to be held accountable. Also, I know lots of encouragement will help alot. I know I can do this. I am going to do this!! Anybody care to join me??
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I've never tried smoking at all so I can't say that I know what you will be going through. I did read somewhere though that the effects of smoking on your body are the equivalent of at least 80 extra lbs. Congrats on the first step towards quitting. Are you just going cold turkey or using some aid like the patch? Please let us know how you are doing, I'm sure we'll all be cheering for you.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:09 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Tammy I'm So Proud Of You!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAMMY, I'M SO EXCITED TO HEAR THIS NEWS!!!!!!
You sweetheart, I'm so proud of you, and I offer myself to you as your own personal quit smoking cheerleader -- ANYTHING you need, I'm here for you babe! I have never quit, but God I wish I could get my partner to quit. She's up to two packs of Marlboros a day now (although not in the house, thank heaven) and I literally cry when I think about what she's doing to herself.

I am so happy to hear that you've made this decision, and I want you to make sure that you check in here LOTS AND LOTS so that we can support you in any way you need.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

That's wonderful!! I'd love to be one of your personal cheerleaders. I'm always so happy to read of people who are quitting smoking.

My grandmother outlived my uncle and my mother, who both died of lung cancer. I'd still have my Mom today if she hadn't taken up smoking at age 16. My friends and I had to use a machine to suck the yellow smoker's plegm out of our friend's lungs so he wouldn't drown as he lay dying of AIDS. Please be glad that you are going to spare your family from a similar situation.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM   #5  

Yeah, Tammy you go girl! I too will be with you every step of the way......I was never a heavy smoker (max maybe 5 a day), but I quit about 10 years ago.....although I do have a couple every 3 to 6 months or so.....

Believe me, you can do it. And as you know, you will feel the benefits really really really quickly - healthwise and pocketwise!

Also.....don't think you can sneak so close to Onderland and not have me notice! You're doing so well, you're nearly there girl.....

Let us know how we can help on the no-smoking efforts.....
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

That is super to hear. You know we're all here for you. I too was one that never took up the habit. Jeff quit when we found out I was PG with Lilly. I couldn't stand to be around him with "that smell." He was doing great until he went back to pipelining and started it back up. When I reach 150 he has to quit smoking but I'm hoping he will quit before then.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:01 PM   #7  

Awwwww...You ladies are just great. With this much support I know it is going to help tremedously. I don't have anymore smoking friends around me so that is going to make it easier this time. My major concern at this point is eating to much as a result of quitting. I usually gain some weight when I quit. I am going to try to avoid that this time. But, if I do happen to gain a few pounds I know that I can get them back off. It is just very important health wise that I do this. Sarah, you are always just so sweet. Thank you so so much. It means the world to me.

Jen, I am doing this cold turkey. I have quit using the patch before, and I can't tell much of a difference with or without it. Thanks for being one of my cheerleaders!!

Sarah, my husband hates the fact that I smoke. I've always told him though that I know how much he dislikes me doing it I have to make the choice to do it or else I will fail. It will be the same with your partner. When she's ready she will let you know. Sometimes my husband bugging me about quitting made me smoke more. My husband has never been a smoker so it is extremely hard for him to understand just how difficult it is to quit. Sometimes it is like the cigarette is your best friend when you have nothing else to turn to. It is such an awful addiction. They say smoking is four times more addicting than heroin.

Sheila, thanks for putting that spin on this. I really need to hear those things because so often the heartbreaking stories are ones that us smokers don't pay much attention to. But, I am paying attention this time! I don't want my family to have to go through that. I'm sorry for your losses Sheila. Thank you for your post. I really needed to hear the reality of smoking.

Claire, you are right smoking is terrible for my health and moneywise also. It is very expensive and such a waste. I have nothing to gain from smoking. Yep, yep, I am almost in Onederland. It's another reason that I decided it was time to quit. I won't be a healthy person unless I do quit smoking. Thank you so much for being supportive of me.

Dawnyal, I started back this time, because I started hanging out with some of the people I had not been, and they were smokers. The temptation got the best of me. I agree the smell of smoke on people is truly disgusting. I'd much like to kick myself in the a** for starting back.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:36 AM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

All right, Tammygirl -- this is the big day, and I'll be thinking of you plenty! If at any point during the day you feel this wierd, tingly sorta warm/fuzzy feeling, it will most decidedly NOT be a nicotine craving. It'll be ME sending you all the positive energy I can, to help you through your first day!

I'm about to turn in, but I thought I'd take advantage of the late hour to be the first to send you a big fat, "YOU CAN DO THIS" message today! You're going to do this, Tammy...you've singlehandedly lost 44 pounds in like nothing flat, so YOU. CAN. DO. THIS. And you WILL. You will because you want it, and your daughter needs you to do it. So does your husband.

When you're feeling weak and need to call upon some inner strength, think of this: If your daughter and husband were in a burning building, and you knew you could save them by running into that building -- but in the process you'd get a bit burned, would you do it? Of course you would. You'd have the strength to do it, and wouldn't think twice about your decision.....your instincts and your love for them would cause you to immediately make the choice to act to save them. Now do you think you could do that for yourself, Tammy? So that they can keep you in their lives longer, and healthier? It will be hard, and probably emotionally rough at times. But you're making a life or death decision here. Keep them in mind, during those weak moments, and choose life. With them. You know you won't regret it. And you know that they need you to.

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 07-01-2004 at 12:39 AM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Tammy,

Good luck quitting! You can do it. just think: you'll feel so much better, in addition to looking particularly fabulous due to your weightloss. How could you go wrong?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:21 AM   #10  

Go Tammy~~Go Tammy~~ You can do it~~
I'm always thrilled when a smoker decides to kick the habit!! I was a heavy smoker for many years and Aug. 1 will be my 6 year smoke-free anniversary. Take it a day at a time and stay focused. I added up the amount I spent on cigs every month and put that amount ($150!!!!) into a separate savings account. I did that for one year and spent it on recarpeting my living room! I'm so happy for you--I think you'll find it will be the most rewarding thing you've ever done for yourself.
Barb
Barb1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

There is some online thingy that can tell you how much money you've saved and how many (theoretical) minutes of your life you've saved. Maybe that would be somewhat motivating?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Here's to a new day, Tammy!! You CAN DO IT!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #13  

Well, I have not had a cigarette since 10 p.m. last night. This morning has been pretty rough. I do ok until someone decides to talk to me and then I pretty much bite their head off..hehe...My husband called and all I did was cry. Alot of this quitting stuff is psychological. So, this morning I took out the baby carrots and when I am craving a cigarette I eat some of those. I'm not ready to kill anyone yet so I'm doing pretty good.

It was great to get on here and see all your posts. That really helped more than you all know. I don't feel as bad now and more cheerful for the moment. You all are better than any smoking patch out there.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

WTG on the first day so far. You can do this. I hear it gets a bit easier each day, you just have to get over those first few days of cravings.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Tammy, I am proud of you.. Very proud of you and You can do this I just know it!
Good luck and please keep us updated..
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote