South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #1  
Traci

Default Fasting for Cholestorol Test

I scheduled a lipid profile with my doc. Because they are testing both good and bad cholestorol I have to fast for 12 hours before blood is drawn for the test.

Ideally, I would have liked to go in for the draw at 8am, which means I would get to sleep through the better part of my "fast". Unfortunately, the only time I could go in is at 3:30pm tomorrow! Eek! It's going to be a long day with no food. I hope I don't freak out and eat too much when it's finally over.

Has anyone else been through this? I'll take something to eat immediately after the blood is taken. I'm going to have a string cheese and probably some cashews right there in the doctor's office.

Do I get to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner when I get home? No "blood drive" cookies and juice for me, I suppose....

Pray for me tomorrow, please.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Traci, you will be in my prayers, and I'm interested to see what you find out, as I have to have a blood test with fasting twice in the next couple months, so I'll be right in your boat!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #3  

My brother was tested last week and said the new tests don't require you to fast. We are in NZ so things will be different there. Ask the doctor what you can eat before the test. Perhaps you need to fast the last couple of hours. I can't imagine they are going to expect you to fast all day as that is pretty unhealthy. Any meat or dairy products will send your cholesterol through the roof but if you stick to vegies, nuts and beans you should be okay.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:26 PM   #4  
Traci

My doctor said not to eat anything, just drink water. :-(
Old 06-24-2004, 07:37 PM   #5  

Thats going to be pretty tough! I couldn't cope with a whole day. I would feel really light headed by 3pm. I agree - put some nuts and l/f cheese in the car so you can snack straight afterwards and try not to overeat once you get home. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2004, 08:30 PM   #6  

Default Hey There

I would be tempted to try and schedule at a time that is best for you. Some hospital labs are open very early ,like 6 a.m. or so. Just a thought.You can drink calorie free sodas, tea or coffee black.

Joanne
Old 06-24-2004, 10:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I have had to fast before when I was 6 months pregnant and couldnt get in til the afternoon as well!! It was hard and then by time I was done with the glucose testing I was famished and just wanted to eat but as soon as I did I felt soo sick, the doc said it was because my blood sugar had gotten low. After a few hours of snacking I was back to normal. Just keep yourself occupied and it should keep your mind off it. Good Luck!
Michelle
Old 06-25-2004, 12:08 AM   #8  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

I haven't had anything like this done in the past but,
I just wanted to say good luck!

Let us know how everything turns out
Old 06-25-2004, 08:53 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Traci, I'm saying prayers for you! Let us know how things go.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #10  

I would re-schedule the appointment. I'm surprised your doctor would tell you to go that long without food during waking hours. Your blood sugar could fall dangerously low, and you could get light headed and fall and hurt yourself. I get my blood tested every other month and always get scheduled for 8:30 a.m.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:23 AM   #11  
Traci

Default I survived!

It didn't go as poorly as I imagined. Yep, I was definitely hungry but I really wanted to get this test done so I hung in there. Drinking lots of water and keeping busy was the key to making the time go faster.

Afterwards I treated myself to a late lunch out at a Mediteranian restaurant (legal food only) and some shopping. It turned out to be a lovely afternoon of Mommy-time.

Though if you ever have to do it I still recommend scheduling as early as possible!

Last edited by kaetra; 06-26-2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:08 AM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

Traci, I'm so glad you got through it okay! And good for you for eating healthy food afterwards!!
Closed Thread