South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:45 AM   #1  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Default Monday Moanings

Morning chicks...it is 1:32 am and I am wide awake so I thought I would start us off good and early this morning then I am back to bed for a bit before the wild ones show up full of chatter as it is the first day of vacation they are always wild on the first monday.
I hope all had a great fathers day yesterday. We had a nice one we went beachcombing for sea glass, then we were off to the lake to visit with DH's family, the ladies left the dad's with the children for a little swimming and bonding and we were off to the second hand store. I bought a pair of pink lounge pants.( sorry Ellis ) and a green shortie shirt and a little beach wrap for one of the girls. It was slim pickings lots of moms out shopping on dad's dad. Then we came home and went to the board walk to watch DH play beach volley ball. Came home and called my daddy, who lives in Yellowknife then went to bed. It was a great day. Well I think I might be sleepy enough to go off to bed but I will share a nice picture I took with you. We also seen a sea worm anyone ever see one of them. YUCK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (41.1 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by little chick; 06-21-2004 at 12:58 AM. Reason: adding the picture.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:25 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Great picture, Little Chick. I can smell the sea!

No moaning this Monday although I do have a sore shoulder from digging yesterday afternoon. Yes, I could have left it for Sarah but I wanted to do more planting and enjoy being alone out there in the lovely afternoon.

After Church yesterday, two friends from Church came to see the gardens. Christine is really keen to get a garden going and was checking out what blooms in June. Of course I gave her a bouqet and then took a picture for future reference. I'd post it but the camera was set to high resolution and the darn thing is 1.8 MB! I wish I was better at resizing!

This morning I have a load of jeans started and will hang them outdoors as soon as they are finished. They take so long to dry! The Girls and I will walk down for the paper after eight, depending on Harry's situation, and then Sarah comes at nine for gardening. I have about 30 daylilies for her to move along the sunny side of the dog privacy fence. I've no idea what colour they are but that are supposed to be "assorted". I'll be pretty PO'd if they are all orange!

It's a busy week coming up with lots on the schedule so I'd better move my fluffy butt and get started.

I'll leave the coffee, tea and OP breakfast stuff on the deck for you.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:43 AM   #3  
I vant to draw your blood

Good morning, Chicks~~

No moaning here. I now have to give a slightly larger number when someone asks my age, but I still feel like a young chick mentally.

Had a great weekend. Went to see The Stepford Wives. Wicked funny. Great plot twist at the end.

Dinner was at Dante's Down the Hatch...my very favorite Atlanta restaurant. Had their Mandarin fondue. Chicken, shrimp, and beef with mushrooms and squash. Passed on dessert. Stopped at the store for some yummy strawberries instead.

Yesterday I made my Famous Rotisserie Chicken, sour cream and dill potato salad (which I did not eat) sliced tomatoes and grilled squash.

Since today is my *real* birthday, dd spent all day yesterday making me a carrot cake. It looks so scrumtious. I DO plan on having some this evening. Dinner will be leftovers since I also must take Pester Ann to the vet. Then, it's back to business for me tomorrow morning.

Has anyone tried that new Dannon yogurt that is supposed to be low carb? Sweetened with Splenda. It's okay, but I wouldn't want it on a regular basis. Has sort of a fake texture to it. I wonder why they feel the need to things like carrageenan and guar gum to something that is naturally thick in the first place

Oooh, just looked at the clock...need to get in the shower... You all have great day on the Beach!

Mamacita
Old 06-21-2004, 08:37 AM   #4  

LC Your picture is beautiful!! There are so many beautiful places out there- too bad one of them is NOT the Dallas area!

Ruth I will cross my fingers for the assorted colors.

We wound up having a great Father's Day! DD was too cute- we were on our way home at about 9:15 and she is chanting in the car "We wuv Daddy! We wuv Daddy!" Over and over, as loud as can be. All of a sudden it is silent and she is totally asleep. Too cute...... that child adores her father- we have GOT to have a boy, so I can get someone on my "team".

I did wind up being OP all weekend with the exception of a Bud Light on Saturday night. Yippee!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:44 AM   #5  

Happy Monday all!

In response to Jenne's question-
In the South Beach Diet cookbook, Dr. A states that whiskey is bad because it converts to sugar immediately. This is the only one I took notice of because I like Jack-we're good friends really. Plus red wine had great benefits. I don't remember reading this in the normal SB book though. Vodka and Gin are usually pretty safe. Anyone else???

:-)
Old 06-21-2004, 08:45 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Little Chick, what a beautiful photo! We're definitely heading east again next summer. Newfoundland this time, I think.
Your Dad lives in Yellowknife!? You can't get much further away than that! You must miss him.
Hey, pink lounge pants sound COOL! It's just those pink tops with ... never mind. I may get myself into trouble here if I go any further.

Ruthie, enjoy your gardening day!! You've reminded me that I need to dig up some stuff from Mom's garden before they sell the house...

Mamacita, I don't know if you realize this, but your entire post is all about FOOD!!! I'm glad you had a good birthday weekend!!

I'm getting ready for my appointment with my psychi. He's noticed that I haven't much to talk about since the onset of Dad's illness. I think I'm just drained emotionally, and don't have much to say about myself. I suppose I could make something up...
And that laundry thing is happening again. I think this'll be the fourth time I've washed this load.

We had a very nice day yesterday with Dad. Well, Mom created a little tension and I snapped at her. I must remember to tell my psychi that. He'll be so proud of me. He's determined to whip the British reserve right out of me.

I hope everyone has a good day!!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:46 AM   #7  

Karen, what a sweetie. I hear ya... our daughter is "Daddy's girl", and our son is a "Momma's boy".
Old 06-21-2004, 08:50 AM   #8  

Hello everyone

Little Chick, great picture. A sea worm??? What is that??

I had a weekend of preserving.......well, not quite true but as I am phase one I cant eat the cherries that were bought for me so I put them in a bottle of brandy with some sugar and cinnamon to be opened in a couple of years time (hopefully by me and not by an adolescent visitor who will have the cherry brandy initiation.......remember that one? although I think they all have alchopops now, whatever that is). Inspired on the transforming of fruit front I then made some rhubarb schanpps, again for future consumption (basically vodka with rhubarb and sugar. I though of doing it with splenda but that joy awaits another day). Then I dropped a vanilla pod in the rest of the vodka, to make christmas vanilla vodka. By then I will be so thin I will need fattening up with all these strange concoctions. I am certain of it.

Ruth, hope the day lillies turn out appropriately multicoloured. I had some wall flowers (mixed) this year and gave a couple of plants to Hanna on the allotments and she said 'I hope I shall get purple ones' in her very Germanic way, and I worried for months until they came in to flower. She got one purple one ('I hope it will come true to type in the seed?' eeek! more months of worry for me).

Mamacita you have a great birthday and enjoy the carrot cake.

So now I have to go and pick up my old cat's ashes from the vet.....yes, during my absence from the beach he finally surcumbed to his old age illness and passed away two weeks ago. . He was 16, and by the end he was so ill, I should have called the vet before I suppose but I did not. I am not sure that I really believe in that euthanasia thing. Hmmm. It's a dont know for me. Any how, in the end that is what happened, and our little household here has lost its alpha male.

have a good day everyone. xx
Old 06-21-2004, 08:53 AM   #9  

VTProp, I moved your post... happy Monday to you, too!!

Clovey, I'm so sorry about your dear cat.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:11 AM   #10  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

This is a sea worm..... there were hundreds all over this small little beach that we found you had to be careful were you stepped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the worm.jpg (47.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking

Eww! That worm is definitely yucky looking, and I like worms! I thought it would be more like a sea cucumber or something (which are wonderful and soft!)

Ruth, I wish you luck on the daylillies. I love their lush foliage, but the yellow and orange colors are pretty boring and commonplace. I would love to have some pink ones!

Clovey, what are wallflowers like? Do they climb? Hanna sounds so quaint! So sorry to hear about your cat. We lost ours when she was 15, and though she had a long life, we still missed her horrible and still do. All that preserving sounds delicious!

Happy Birthday, Mamacita! I'm so glad you were able to stay OP and enjoy yourself! What did you did the meat and veggies in for that fondue...was it cheese? What kind? Sounds delicious!

Ellis, for standing up to your mom! This Father's Day must have been really hard for you and you didn't need her stuff on top of it! YGG!!! Glad you had a good day with your dad, otherwise. Your sweethearts sound wonderful. My poor dad is a bit adrift...all three of the girls are momma's girls in our family. He was so excited when I got married and he had DH to hang out with!

Stayed mostly OP all weekend in spite of venturing to new restaurants and being in a rebellious mood as a result of Friday's lunch mishaps. We went to the fabulous Italian restaurant near us on Friday...it's very modern for our area. Had the most incredible appetizer...a portabello mushroom with plum tomatoes, spinach, feta, and covered in mozz. cheese and soaked in balsamic vinegar. It was tangy and cheesy and soooo good! I had chicken piccata (unfried) and a side of spaghetti with garlic and olive oil. Put balsamic vin. and olive oil on my salad and gave my croutons to DH. All in all, it was a good dinner...high on the fats a bit, but really good and satisfying. Asked for no bread even though their ciabiatta is to die for!

On Saturday, at the alumni lunch, I had a tofu dog with mustard and some lettuce and tomatoes. It was a depressing looking lunch, but I just tried to get over myself and spend the time talking. No one really looked askance at me, so that was good. We had a wondeful dinner on Saturday...DH suggested I use the extra broccoli in the fridge to make a broccoli cheese soup. It was fantastic!!! Not super low fat, but low enough for me, and with a low enough starch content that I didn't count it for my starch. I'll post the recipe in the forum under Phase 2 Misc. (Ruth and Ellis, can we get a soup category in the recipe forums?)

Didn't do too much all weekend. Have to work all next weekend, so did some relaxing in preparation. Played a lot of Civilization, a computer sim game, and did chores 'round the house. Finally washed the dog, who was really ready for a bath, and watched a couple movies with DH.

Tonight we're making Middle Eastern kabobs with cucumber sauce and tabouleh with feta cheese. Yum!

Hope everyone has a wonderful SBD day!

Last edited by beachgal; 06-21-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #12  
I found my hipbones!

Mornin' all!

Clovey - My heart goes out to you for your lost kitty buddy. Our longest lived pet was "Mama Kitty." She stayed with us for about 18 years, though she was full grown with kittens when we found her along the country road I grew up on. Who knows how old she really was?! For a long time after she died, I could swear I saw her slinking around corners and still expected her to greet me when I came home. It's just like losing family.

For those of you who live near Cracker Barrel restaurants, I discovered on Sunday that they've added a very nice low-carb menu for breakfast and dinner! I have really missed having breakfast out on the weekends, so this was a very happy surprise for me.

Looking forward to a relaxing Monday at work as my long-winded office mate is out of town and my boss is on vacation! If I'm lucky, I'll be able to break out of this joint early.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:59 AM   #13  

well morning everyone!!
crazy busy at work today (again) so i will apologize for the scattered thoughts, misspelled words, horrible use of the english language and not addressing everyone seperately before i start

we had a nice but hectic weekend, i again ate too much and fell off plan a dozen times, i am starting p1 today for the 30,000th time and i know i will get it right sooner or later.

jenn- sounds like you had a great time at your party glad you are feeling better. i'm with you on the mixed drink thing. i have fallen in love with bacardi vanilla rum and diet vanilla pepsi. i don't think it is allowed but it sure is good. i'm not a big fan of wine it gives me a headache.

ellis- glad you had a nice visit with dad, don't let mom get to you. so now dad has a big ghetto blaster and his bag possible next gift might be a little bling-bling tell the psyche you were told "if you have nothing nice to say....don't say nothing at all" hang in there girlie

ruth- i love the red hat thing it sounds like such fun!! i have about a gozillion orange daylilies if you need some???

laurie- glad your weekend was good!! the italian place sounds great!!

mama- have a great day!!!

clovey- so sorry about your kitty!! your fruity drink mixes sound great, do you go by recipes or just make them up as you go along??

everyone else hello and have a great day on the beach!!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #14  
Conquering with SBD

Good morning...

I am amazed that this is called Monday moanings... I am certainly moaning this morning. First day that I am out of bed after my surgery last Thursday and feeling sorry for myself. I had wild imaginings that I would be back to work today, but I am just getting out of bed.

Since Thursday I have eaten 2 omellets, 2 bowls of yogurt, 1 beef patty and 1 cheese stick...and drank lots of water. Hopefully, by tomorrow I will be eating more and feeling better.

The bonus is that the weight has come down a few pounds, but not that much. I thought that not eating would be a huge loss, but I guess any loss is OK.

Wishing everyone a great week and I will drop in within the next day or two.

Take care...

Last edited by sweet tooth; 06-21-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:18 PM   #15  
I graduated!

Mornin' mornin'...

being 3 hours behind most of you (in California) I feel so far behind when I get up and everyone has been posting posting posting!

Big news here today is "Spaceship One" ... the morning news is reporting that we're waiting for them to come land, but so far so good!

Jenne... we were just reading the SBD book the other day... it says (page 56) "Wine, and even whiskey, are safer bets [than beer] because they're made from differnt grains, vegetables, or fruit. Not that whiskey is part of any serious weight-loss effort, of course. White wine is better. Best of all is red wine, because it brings with it some significant, proven cardiac benefits thans to the resveratrol contained in the grape skins." ...so there ya go..

Sounds like everyone had a nice weekend

We DID finally get the living room cleaned up a bit... and it was decided that I'm NOT going to do the summer practicum. SO... now I have more time to devote to chores and me. I'm actaully kinda relieved. Unfortunately no grocery shopping got done and I still don't have a scale! I'll have to go off in search of one today.

I spoke with a young woman that is looking to do a 1/2 lease on one of her horses and sounds like a good situation for both of us. When I told her that I'm overweight and if she was uncomfortable with a rider that's over 200 pounds she needed to let me know she was plesantly emphatic that it was not a problem, she said that her saddle would most likely fit me and stuff... I hope to hear from her by Wed. about meeting her and the horse.

Saturday night we went out to dinner at a local itallian resturant that has some lower carb dishes, the also have spelt and soy pastas which are low carb... I ordered chicken picatta with fresh veggies instead of pasta, Rob had some steak thing. Saturday afternoon Rob was doing a favor for another part of his army unit (not paid, taking equipment to them and hanging out with this guy from Arizona). They went to lunch and I happened to call him while they were waiting for their lunch. When he told me he was having fish taco's for lunch I was floored (remember we've been doing this together and we JUST STARTED phase 2 on saturday).

My husband is not the best thinker when it comes to things... sometimes I don't know if he just lies to me when I ask him what his thought process was or when I ask for more details (like was the fish plain or coated in breadcrumbs/batter and he claims not to know or remember). He said that he didn't think fried was bad. I'm like when did fried foods stop being bad? He says we fry things all time... I'm lost... he says we fry eggs... I point out that there's a big difference between a quick squirt of soy, canola or olive oil from a can and deep fried food.

I don't want to be the food police, lord knows that I have more than twice as much weight to loose as he does and he can probably get away with having two fish tacos and still lose weight but this isn't just about loosing weight... this is about his family history of poor cardiac health, and his Dad having had type 2 diabetes and like 3 coronary artery bypass grafts (CABG) and multiple heart attacks and dying from complications of his last CABG. I swear sometimes he just flat out doesn't think.

We went and saw my Dad for Father's Day. My (step)Mom had tried to make things that would be on plan for us. All of the sudden she's lost like 20 pounds and almost looks too thin... For dinner there was a dressed salad made with those fancy greens that always taste bitter to me but I forced it down because I wanted the fiber... chicken breasts that my dad made cooked in a marinade that I later found out was made with orange juice and probably not the fresh kind (sugar), corn, and bbq'd red pepers and zuchini. She served cut up white nectarines and blueberries along with the FF coolwhip and some carb solutions mint/chip ice cream.

After eating the fruit (and I mean like within 15 minutes!) I felt hungrier than before I ate. I had about 2 or 3 tablespoons of the icecream becuase there's no added sugar and it's loaded with cellulose and some protien and I hoped that would help... it seemed to. Maybe I had too much fruit... I don't know. I'm nervous about adding in carbs, I don't want to wind up gaining back what I've lost so far... and to top it off it's almost my TOM and I usually feel bloated.

Hoping for a good week...

Closed Thread