Old 10-07-2003, 09:20 AM   #1  
thin within

Default manicotti

i concocted this low carb rendition of manicotti last night. my dh and dd enjoyed it as much as i did. i didn't have any diced tomatoes on hand last night. so, we used a little caesar bacon and ranch dressings for topping. next time, i'll be sure to have some on hand. instead of using manicotti tubes, i rolled the mixture in aluminum foil that had been sprayed with pam. i'd love to hear your ideas for toppings and modifications

500 ml of ricotta cheese (guessing this is about a lb)--10 carbs
6 oz of mozzarella shredded--6 carbs
1 egg--.5 to 1 carb (depending on size)
1T of parsley flakes
salt and pepper (guessing maybe a 1/2 t and 1/4 t respectively)

preheat oven to 350. blend or mix all ingredients. tear aluminum foil into sheets. (i made mine into 6 big rolls, but you could do smaller ones.) spray foil with pam or some other nonstick spray. then spoon mixture into a line about 1/3 down on foil. fold over that third at top over the mixture, then start rolling it down. just before getting to the bottom, fold ends inward, then continue rolling to end. place seam of foil on the cookie sheet. if doing 6 big ones, cook about 90 minutes. if doing smaller ones, maybe cook for an hour.

yields 6 servings at almost 3 carbs each
fullfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #2  

after trying a frozen manicotti dinner from carbsaweigh.com, i tried out making a lc -legal noodle, and filled it with traditional ricotta mixture. It was great! Just count the carbs in whatever sauce you use...The CarbsaWeigh was good, but expensive. I knew I had to be able to make some sort of egg-y crepe-y noodle-y thing-y!

make very thin pancakes- like crepes. I used eggs, some ricotta beaten in, some cream, some romano cheese, a spoonful of soy flour. I guess you could use the lc baking mixes. Fry like a crepe, really thin, then roll up with your usual manicotti filling( ricotta, egg, parsley.) lay them out on sauce and I topped them with mozzarella and baked.

it was a great change, I love Italian, and it fit the bill!
dottie
dottiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:41 AM   #3  

Dottie, are the carbsaweigh products good? I'm looking for something that I can zap when school starts back in August. I stay so busy when I work. I don't have time to prepare things like I do when I'm off. Most of the teachers just bring Lean Cuisines and stuff like that. Heck, sometimes we even sink so low as to eat in the lunchroom!! UGGGHHHH!!! If the foods are tasty I don't care how much they cost. I don't want to spend money on anything that doesn't satisfy the taste buds. What all have you tried? This is exactly what I have been looking for IF it's worth it. <<keeping my fingers crossed>>

Gail
JustGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #4  

Try using thinly sliced zuchinni and roll up as your shells?? Just hold them closed with a toothpick..
Jo-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:34 PM   #5  

You can try rolling the mixture up in slices of roast beef. It's delicious! My dh & I like it better than the pasta. I also add in come chopped frozed spinach(thawed & drained)YUM!!
Realcheek is offline   Reply With Quote