Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 05:56 PM   #1  

Default I want to like fish but....

I've never been much of a fan of filet fish. I LOVE shellfish and canned tuna but want to try to incorporate other kinds of fish into my diet. Does anyone have any suggestions for mild tasting fish as well as suggestions on how to cook it? Thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 08:25 PM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

You know what I like? Louis Kemps Crab & Lobster Delights. They are a little pricey, but worth it for a non-fish eater. You can have the whole 8 oz package to yourself & it counts as a 4 oz meat serving, I think.

I like to heat up the 'lobster' in the microwave a little bit & have it with butter spray, or a small amount of real butter. You can put this over pasta, rice, a baked potato, or eat it just like that.

The Crab Delights, I like to throw into a pasta salad, made with a bit of light ranch dressing, whole wheat corkscrews, frozen peas that have been thawed, small bits of carrot & onion, then seasoned w/black pepper. But they can also go on top of pasta, rice, baked potato, etc.

You can also throw either in a lowfat tortilla w/some lowfat cheese & salsa & have a taco.

If you're going to eat tuna, make sure it's not too often & not albacore, there's been news lately about dangerous mercury levels? Chunk light tuna is allegedly ok. I like it mixed with the new Light Wasabi Mayo.

I like to 'frost' a salmon fillet with Miracle Whip Light, then sprinkle w/Mrs Dash's, then bake according to package instructions. The Miracle Whip keeps the fish moist & tangy. You can also get canned samon w/o the skin & bones. I like to mix that with plain nonfat yogurt & dill & a little onion & just a squeeze of lemon juice.

I like shrimps, too, one of my favorite dinners ever is shrimp cocktail. You can also get Light Parmesan Alfredo by Ragu--lighten it up a little further& thin it out to the consistency you like w/some skim milk & make your own shrimp alfredo.

As far as fillet fish goes, you really can't go wrong grilling it or baking it w/some lemon butter & grilled vegetables, as a general rule of thumb.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:56 PM   #3  

If you're venturing into regular fish (not shellfish), you want to try a non-fishy fish. I would suggest any kind of white fish; flounder, cod, chilean sea bass, regular sea bass or orange roughy. I love my seafood either broiled or grilled. I always put lemon on it but sometimes I'll season it with different spices.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #4  
Head Princess

I'm a big fan of salmon, but here's the catch: it must be fresh and preferably wild. Frozen salmon will come out much more fishy tasting. I like covering a filet in pesto and then baking it at 400 for about 20 minutes. :t It's always good to coat salmon with something (mayo, pesto, etc.) because that keeps the fish moist.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Blech! I can't stand "Fishy" tasting fish!

My suggestions would be to try cod, filet of sole or haddock. I find they don't have a really stong taste. I sprinkle my fish with lemon juice, some spices and then wrap it in a tinfoil packet and bake it in the over for 15 minutes or so.

For my DH I dip the filets in some milk then dredge it in breadcrumbs mixed with italian seasoning and a little garlic salt. I then lightly pan fry them is some olive oil.

I don't know if you have these available in your area but in the frozen food section Highliner has fish fillets in different sauces - a lemon & herb, a cajun spices and a cheese sauce version. They come in a packet of 2 fillets,they are low fat -1 fish portion is 1 Weight watchers point - but the cheese ones are a little more. They are not breaded and you just pop them in the oven for 20 minutes or so - they are easy to make and very tasty.

Highliner also has frozen salmon fillets in a dill sauce that bake in the oven for 30 minutes. I really enjoy these and I really hate salmon -fresh or canned- so it is a miracle that I found these!

Also here is a seafood salad for you:

Tear up about 2 to 3 cups Romaine lettuce (well rinsed and dried)
Add 1 cup pre-cooked shrimp and 1 cup imitation crab meat (or real if you can get it.)

In a small bowl mix 2-3 tbsp low-fat Ceasar salad dressing and 1 tbsp seafood sauce (also known as shrimp cocktail sauce) or enough to suit your own taste.

Toss the lettuce and seafood with the dressing and top with sliced tomatoes.

Easy, yummy and a great no-cook summer dish if you serve with a nice slice of bread and a glass of white wine

Hope this helps
Old 06-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

my all time favorite, non-fishy tasting way to cook fish is this: take a thick filet of scrod or cod, and plunk it on a baking sheet. take about 2 tbs dried onion flakes and soak them in vinegar for about 10 minutes. then mix in some good mustard and cayenne pepper.

spread this on top of the fish and bake it at 350 until the center flakes easily with a fork.

delish!!!! always moist...
Old 06-09-2004, 06:10 PM   #7  
it's always something

I love tilapia, rubbed with a spice mixture and baked. The mixture I get is from www.worldspice.com and is called Calico Fish Rub and contains syrian sumac, black sesame seeds, dillweed, red aleppo peppers, and red sea salt. I'm addicted to it, though it may not be to everyone's taste.

I love salmon, marinated in citrus juices and rolled in a bbq rub, then baked or grilled.

Jiffy, your cod sounds yummy!
Old 06-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #8  

My favorite fish is also tilapia. I usually place the frozen fish in a large container that has a lid. I cover the fish with low-fat or FF Italian dressing,put the cover on, place in the refrigerator overnight. When I am ready to bake it, I often sprinkle some cajun seasoning on it. I bake it at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until it flakes easily with a fork. It is really delicious, and so easy to prepare. Tilapia ia a mild fish that is enjoyed by most of our friends.

For easy cleanup, I always put foil under my fish before baking. No mess, and so easy to clean up by just tossing the foil in the garbage.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:54 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Suzanne - can I have some of that spice?

I like tilapia with butter spray, lemon juice, a tomato slice and shredded parmesan cheese on top and baked in the oven. Mmmm. This is similar to the way they make it at Red Lobster.
Closed Thread