Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 PM   #1  

Default Ouchies!!

Along with my latest diet-go-round, I'm trying to get back into the exercise groove. I always use walking as my primary exercise because it's immediately accessible, always doable and free.

HowEVER, as with every stinking time I start walking, I'm having very painful blisters. My problem is bunyons (or my 6th toe as my husband so unkindly calls them). I buy good quality walking shoes in the widest width possible, but it's still not enough. I'm not prepared to go through the surgery to remove them, so I'll just have to deal with it.

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with blisters so I can keep up my walking routine? Both prevention and post-blister care would be appreciated.
My current blister is at the 6th toe rubbing point and this one is a blood blister.

Thanks in advance!

Pandemonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:13 AM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonia
My problem is bunyons (or my 6th toe as my husband so unkindly calls them). I buy good quality walking shoes in the widest width possible, but it's still not enough. I'm not prepared to go through the surgery to remove them, so I'll just have to deal with it.Thanks in advance!
Hello, Pandemonia! I'm really sorry you have to go through that. Unfortunately, I don't really have any advice for you, but I can say that, having been through bunion surgery, while it's not fun, it is MOST DEFINITELY worth it. I really suffered from not only the blisters, but also the throbbing pain that accompanies those insulting affronteries -- in addition to hurting, they're not pretty are they?! I don't know if you've already spoken to anyone else who's survived a bunionectomy, but if you'd like to hear about my experience, I'd be happy to answer any questions I might have. If I had it to do over, I absolutely would, because it brought me relief and allowed me to once again buy shoes that fit me properly. Yeah, it was very painful, but put it this way: I only had a problem with one foot, so I had it done to that foot. If I had to suffer with the other one, I wouldn't wait as long as I did with the first one....I'd just sign up and get it over with. It's worth it.

Good luck to you...I hope you find the answers you're looking for, as well as relief!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #3  

Thanks for the words of wisdom all. I'm still very ambivalent about getting the surgery. My sister had it (on one foot) and was evidently in agony. Plus she was out of commission for quite some time. How long were you out of work for Sarah?

As far as a bike, about the only bike I can handle is a stationary one. Somehow that skill didn't transmit well from childhood to now.

No offense Jack (re. your private message) - the soil here in Vermont can get a little freaky at times!

I wonder if you keep on walking while babying the blister if it will eventually toughen up. It's almost below a callous area (due to the 6th toe), so maybe it will just become part of that callous. (Why yes, I DO have hideous feet!)
Old 06-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #4  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Hi Pandemonia!

I too have a 6th toe problem - no pain and not too big currently, I am watching it though!

I'd recommend:

Long-term: surgery! Painful and debilitating in the short term but wonderfully freeing in the long term - my mother highly recommnds it!

Mid-term: podiatry and shoe inserts. Get the pressure off NOW!!! The more the bunion is constrained and squashed the greater it will react - and the blister won't toughen up, it will grow for a while then slide off your foot, leaving a nice raw delicate patch for the next one to get a good start on!!

Short-term: aloe blister plasters. They come in all shapes and sizes and are made to be placed on a blister and left there! They cushion the area, and help dry out the blister, healing the skin and lessening the pain. BLISS!!!!

Oh! Shoe hint. My podiatrist recommends that I only buy shoes that do NOT narrow towards the toes. This means you need to look for Herman Munster/Frankenstein's monster style boots and shoes - fortunately they seem to be all the fashion in the UK!!!!

Good luck!!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #5  

Thanks for your info, Stef!

Where do you find the aloe pads? Health food store? I don't believe my local grocer carries them and I don't recall seeing anything like that even in the pharmacy.

...you need to look for Herman Munster/Frankenstein's monster style boots and shoes...
LOL! Well, these damned sneakers I have aren't looking any too dainty! They're men's in extra wide width. (I guess I won't be fitting into Cinderella's glass slipper any time soon!)
Old 06-11-2004, 11:01 AM   #6  

Ok, since we went from exercise to the 6th toe discussion, I've decided to stick my 6th toe in. I've notice it growing on the left for quite some time. Red and ugly bugger. Pain is off and on. I met someone who had the surgery. Wearing that big ugly boot. (I went thru that having a spur removed from my pinkie toe) I could care less about the boot and no pain no gain(or loss )
but my biggest concern is how long are you out of commission. Work, exercising? Those are my biggest concerns. Well, actually my biggest concern is the diabetes I cant get under control. I can't even think about it till the diabetes is under control, but once it is, I'd like to get the ugly sucker off. I see a new one starting on the other foot.
And Pan, you are not the only one with hideous feet. My size 11/12 feet are pretty gross too. But with all my other problems, I'm over how they look. I just want them to work for me. I need them for a long time to come I hope.
Well, good luck with what ever "path" you take. ttyl
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:56 AM   #7  

Good luck Donna, most especially with showing that diabetes who's boss!

I guess with all my b*tching & whining, I should thank my lucky stars that I don't have a medical condition accentuating my weight problem.