South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 09:40 AM   #1  
Traci

Default Weight gain after switch to Phase II

Is gaining a bit of weight when you switch from Phase I to Phase II common?

I am also discouraged by my slow weight loss. I only lost 4 pounds in Phase I. I moved on to Phase II anyway because I figured that since I only have 25 pounds to lose that overall it would be slower going than for others who have more to lose.

Saturday was the end of my 1st week on Phase II. I gained back two pounds! I didn't cheat even once, I practically follow the book on the meal plans and have been very careful not to eat too much of the new "introduce slowly" foods. I've also been drinking 64oz of water a day or more. I have been excercising about 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week, which is the same as on Phase I. I would like to be able to blame the two pounds on TOM water gain, but I'm no where near due for that. BLAH!

I've been measuring my waist size. It's still at 37", no change there over the week, so I had at least that to cushion the blow of the extra pounds. I would have been happier with no weight loss obviously rather than up 2 lbs!

Yeah, I do feel healthier but 1 step forward 1 step back doesn't get you any closer to goal now does it? :-(
Old 06-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #2  

I'm having the same problem. I lost 4 during phase 1 and I have been going up and down a half pound over the last several days. I'm just going to be patient and maybe up my exercise a little bit. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #3  

I can share my experience, after my first week of phase 2 I did not see any wight loss and i always wiegh in on tue. mornings, but when thursday i decided to get on the scale I had acually weighrd 5 pounds less. So i started wawighing more often out of curiosity and i flucuate all the time. I have no answer as to why but do know regardless to what the scale says my clothes are getting looser and i do feel healthier. Maybe you so not follow the book word for word because it is only a guidline. Try cutting back on some of the foods you added maye only one fruit and one bread type a day. I do oatmeal for breakfast and one fruit a day as one of my snacks and that seems to be my trick. And I knwo that exersise will also have an effect, muscle is heavier than fat. so it is a possitive. You dont have a lot to loose so you may take longer to see the effects of all your hard work. Just hang in there and it will all work out in the end.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:05 PM   #4  

Traci -
I would suggest 2 things.

1 - Are you drinking milk, or getting enough calcium. I find that my weighloss drags immensley when I don't have enough calcium. I have a soy protein shake for a treat every day (it's totally legal Phase1 - but tastes great).

2 - If you are following the book for Phase 2 I think that they introduce a lot of carbs very quickly. When I switched to phase 2, I was adding 1 carb per day. So, one half of an apple, or just barely adding in smallish portions of cereal. (I call it phase 1.5).

You will definitely lose slower because you have less to lose, but I would consider adding fewer carbs because I think the book has you adding an awful lot back fast.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #5  
Traci

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. :-) BIG HUGS to EVERYONE!!

I have been drinking nonfat milk, trying to take advantage of the newish dairy-calcium-helps-you-lose-weight research findings. I was thinking maybe that's what was slowing me down! But I won't give up...

I see what you mean about the book having you add carbs pretty fast. I wondered about the strawberries for breakfast and then again for dessert. I'm going to stop eating the semi-sweet chocolate too I think. It's obviously just too much for me.

I am very petite as well, only 5 feet tall even. So following the book is probably just giving me more overall calories than I really need.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:52 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Traci, I totally concur with Pebbles' posting. The book has you eating a lot of starches and fruits all at once (which I think is odd...not sure why they do that!). I found myself gaining a couple pounds in the beginning of Phase 2 when I followed the book. I went down by one fruit and one starch a day until I lost weight again. I'm now on one starch and one carb a day and losing about 2 pounds a week, a nice slow, steady loss.

Play with that and see what works for you. Now that you've been doing this for three weeks, see if you can get away from the book and play with the SBD to see what works for your body. Some people in the book could not eat any starch, some could not eat any fruit, or they would not lose. Some people in this forum can't eat nuts or they splurge. You need to figure what works for you. And don't dispair...this weight will come off!

That said, Pebbles, are you willing to share info on your soy protein shakes? They sound wonderful!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:25 PM   #7  

Oh that secret recipe.....I'll post on the main board.!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:13 PM   #8  

You do slow down in weeks 3 and 4 and at certain times of the month you will retain water which makes it seem like you have regained some of your weight loss. I had the same problem when I started phase 2. It pays to reintroduce carbs very slowly. Perhaps add fruit once a day for a week then the following week add one starch per day in addition to your fruit. You can do phase 1 for longer (up to four weeks) and some people do a phase 1.5 which is what I have to go back to since I have stalled completely on phase 2. Also remember if you are exercising lots you will gain muscle so may not see a difference on the scales but if you take your measurements you will see your size going down.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #9  

Oh yes......salt. My favorite - such a little devil for weight loss. I found that I cut the fat in cooking and instead used salt - so I've battled with water weight. Good point!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:50 PM   #10  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Also make sure you are doing some type of excerise. That helps, believe it or not! I put on 3-4 lbs during the week of Memorial Day. And it's gone now, just as easy. I've slowed since, but the working out helps!
Old 06-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #11  

I know I'm building muscle with all the exercise, anfd that slows down the scale results. I'm trying to pay more attention to inches now. But I agree -- I tend to fluctuate 2 pounds up or down, but on SB, it's still a slow downward trend. I figure it this way: I can stay on the Beach and be at goal in two month -- or just be two months older, period. I think I'll take the Beach
Old 06-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #12  
Traci

Smile

I wanted to update this. I have modified Phase II to something more like Phase 1.5 as mentioned earlier. Four days later I have dropped the 2 pounds I gained and am back down to 145. Schweew, that was close.

You guys are lifesavers. I'm so grateful for this forum, you have all been so helpful and kind.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:51 PM   #13  

Traci -
That's great news.

PS< I only had the chocolate once a week. I also think really high quality chocolate helps. We get 60% cocoa.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:10 PM   #14  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbles396
When I switched to phase 2, I was adding 1 carb per day. So, one half of an apple, or just barely adding in smallish portions of cereal. (I call it phase 1.5).
That's great advice, Pebb!

My question is, did you just keep adding one carb a day until you were eating one with each meal?

Kim
Old 06-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #15  

Kim,
Actually I found that I developed Bread phobias - so that was really late in the game.

I started with fruit during the afternoon b/c that's when I was most stable. (late night didn't work at all).

But I found that one full week on 1.5 then basically whenever I wanted it. I started to have a bit too much cereal so I had to taper off.

I think that the book suggests just watching the scale and seeing how you feel.

I really don't mind Phase 1 stuff all that much, so I try to eat as much phase 1 as possible.
Closed Thread