Yes! Love to garden! 9 52.94%
Garden? Only the mold I cultivate in my refrigerator! 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2004, 04:37 AM   #1  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Talking I'm baaack! :)

First of all, THANK YOU ALL for the encouragement you've been to my hubby. If I don't see Dave's Garden up on his monitor, it's 3FC. I decided that since y'all are an important part of my hubby's weight loss journey, I needed to make it a priority to be here, too.

Like I think he's told you, I've pretty much been hanging out at the gardening website we're so involved with, plus spending a lot more time outside. It's been such a great spring here in Ohio, and Howie's made our yard look so nice with his hard work. Have I told you lately how much I love & appreciate you, Hammer?

Oh...yes! Down 3 pounds this week, and this weighing after eating dinner out with my mom! I'm so psyched. We went to Tumbleweed for dinner, and though I did have the chips, I only had salsa and not ranch dressing. I had the Chicken with pepperjack cheese and mushrooms, a plain baked potato, and grilled veggies.

Neither mom nor I had eaten anything when we stopped there around 6:30pm this evening, and we were *starving* (relatively speaking, LOL). Considering that, I feel really good about my choices there. Even had a few calories left for a nice salad tonight when Howie got home.

Sorry if I sound scattered here - I really need to get to bed. Nightowl I am, but it's been a looong day of gardening stuff.

Any of you garden?
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 AM   #2  
2006 - Panda Remix

Welcome back Kimberley!

It's good to hear from you again! You and howie are both very valued members of this group and we miss you when you're gone!

congratulations on the 3lb loss - gardening is actually quite good exercise isn't it!

Hope you stick around!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hey lookie who's back. You snuck in here on me.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:13 PM   #4  
missaprylj

I like to think I garden, lol.

Right now I have chives, basil, cilantro, thyme, parsely, and marjoram going. Flowers will go in soon too. :-) We also grow lettuce, tomatos, onions... and I'm pushin' for peppers. LOL. It's hard when your growing season is like, 3 months long.

Glad that you're back!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:46 PM   #5  
Howie6267's Honey

Oh, no doubt - Wisconsin makes it rough. We can plant out safely (LOL...more like, "safely") after May 15. Making a little cold frame out of hoops and plastic greatly extends a growing season for you snowbunny gardeners.

I'm happy to be out working in the yard this year; last year we had our basement renovation going on, and we never got into the outside mindset. By the time we were ready to think about outside stuff, it was hot out and there was so much to catch up on we just gave up. It was a depressing summer!

This year, I'm eating right and spending time outside even if I can't do much (I have tendonitis in my hand and wrist and have a brace on right now). I help Howie with some of the weeding - the one handed kind - and like to sit outside and read, too.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:58 PM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I do love to garden but I'm not really that good at it. I'm enthusiastic but with a black thumb! We bought our house several years back and I should have left the garden the way it was but I jumped in when I had no clue what I was doing and made a huge mess. It's been a learning process if nothing else.

Some advice if you don't mind...we have tons and tons and tons of cedar shrubs around our place. There are about 6 very tall scraggly looking ones in front of the house. As well the entire front yard is fenced in with a cedar shrub hedge. They are in a little better shape than the ones in front of the house. I"m tempted to completely rip those (the ones in front of the house) out since they are looking pretty tired and put in periennels. BUT I might not get to it this year as I"m working more on fixing up the back yard. I'm thinking I might try and rejuvinate them this year and if they show any improvement then I'll hang in there and see how they do over a couple of years. Can you give me any idea on how I might get them back into good shape or do you think once they are on the way out that they are probably no good? I know it is hard to judge without pics but any advice or suggestions would be welcome from anyone.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:50 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

pssst. gardenwife... i gotta ask you... since i'm barely speaking to your hubby since he's admitted to being a <gasp> redskins fan.... and his knowledge of technology and his good humor and kindness can only make up just a little of this SERIOUS deficiency...

is there any hope?? do you like hockey???

i like to garden, but i don't have the time. i've always wanted to have an enormous, well planned herb garden. <sigh> maybe after i retire.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:49 AM   #8  

Well, I like to garden, but I live in Military housing. Can't have a garden. I could plant a few things in pot and put them on the back porch but that is about the extent of it for me.

Great job on being down 3 pounds for the week. You and Howie are just dong wonderfully!!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #9  
Howie6267's Honey

Quote:
...is there any hope?? do you like hockey???
Sorry, but I like hockey even less than I like football.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

You need to give up and just become a Redskins fan Old Crackler. You know you want to. Come to the dark side.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:59 PM   #11  
Howie6267's Honey

Default Cedar Shrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
Some advice if you don't mind...we have tons and tons and tons of cedar shrubs around our place....I'm thinking I might try and rejuvinate them this year and if they show any improvement then I'll hang in there and see how they do over a couple of years. Can you give me any idea on how I might get them back into good shape or do you think once they are on the way out that they are probably no good? I know it is hard to judge without pics but any advice or suggestions would be welcome from anyone.
I've not grown cedar shrubs myself, but here are some good links about them. Whoops - forgot I can't post links yet. If you search Google for rejuvination cedar shrubs, you'll find some good information. Looks like some pruning might help them. Like you said, it's hard to tell without pictures.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back. Congrats on the loss.

I love flowers, herbs, and the veggies from the garden. Unfortunately all my stuff tends to die off so I haven't had houes plants in a while (I have one that's in my beta fish tank that's stayed alive for 2 years somehow ) But next year we will be planting a veggie garden. We've discussed it for 2 years now and it's always been too late to get the ground ready so I'm not going to let Jeff get out of it next year
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #13  
Howie6267's Honey

Default The death knell for house plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
Welcome back. Congrats on the loss.

I love flowers, herbs, and the veggies from the garden. Unfortunately all my stuff tends to die off so I haven't had houes plants in a while (I have one that's in my beta fish tank that's stayed alive for 2 years somehow ) But next year we will be planting a veggie garden. We've discussed it for 2 years now and it's always been too late to get the ground ready so I'm not going to let Jeff get out of it next year
I've not had much success with house plants, either; I have a croton and a peace lily that are *okay* but no great shakes. The one that does the best is our pothos. Outside the plants are bug-eaten, but doing well despite of their gross looking leaves. 'Course the Japanese beetles haven't come out yet, either. I may be sobbing when that happens, LOL.

We had treat night last night and did well. Instead of doing it on impulse, we planned for it and followed through. We split a burrito at Chipotle and then had coffee and a treat at a Caribou. A little later, after a drive, we got some ice cream and went to Buckeye Lake and read in the van for a while. It was a nice treat night and neither of us had that "why did I pig out" feeling. Yay!
Old 06-08-2004, 01:20 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

howie... there is no power on this earth that will turn me into a 'skins fan!!!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote