Lighten Up! Feeling a little stressed out over your diet? This forum is for you! Laugh a little, relax, and take a load off!

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 11:49 AM   #1  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Default Best Beach

Hi, Everyone.

I'm inspired by LaurenH's icon. Everytime I see it I think of heading with my mom to her favorite beach at Venice, Florida, walking out with chair, book and sunscreen, putting my feet up and enjoying the surf. Or walking along at waters edge, picking up shark's teeth and admiring each other's finds. My mom is a beach baby, I'm sure her heaven is a beach and a book.

My best beach: Bandon, Oregon. In Oregon, it's called the coast, not the beach, because you would have to be very cold tolerant to swim there. It's a beautiful beach for walking, and I fell in love there once. Just thinking about it lifts my spirits...and distracts me from my typical (weight loss) concerns.

Does anyone else have a best beach that represents something special to them?

choosewell
Old 09-06-2003, 03:37 PM   #2  
Member w/ messiest house

Great topic! I have lots of favorite beaches:

From when I was a little kid, in Marblehead, MA, my mother used to take us to Devereau beach (I think that's it), which I loved, and also to another beach which was all rocks, which I didn't like so much! I'm sure she had good reasons for taking us to the rock beach, but I couldn't understand why we wouldn't always go to the sandy beach. Sometimes on the way home we would stop at the Fanny Farmer chocolate store! ooo yum.

From my teenaged years, my first love in beaches was Ocean Isle, NC. Beautiful, sandy never crowded. And the swimming is glorious. We still go there for a week every summer. When I was a teenager, though, it was an adventure every year -- from learning how to play pinball, crabbing in the mud flats, dancing to "beach music" at the pavilion, getting drunk for the first time and getting in biiiiiiiiiiig trouble ( ).

Now my favorite beach is probably closer to home -- in Maine. We sail off the coast and some places that we anchor are just so wonderful. Camp Island near Deer Isle is probably my favorite.

Anyone heard of any of these places?

Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwonk; 09-06-2003 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:17 PM   #3  
consistent

I've heard of Fannie Farmer! Oh, wait, you meant the beaches... Fannie Mae? Isn't that one, too? Ginnie Mae is the financial instrument, but I think there's a Fannie Mae. Mint Meltaways, yum.

Doesn't the coast of Maine remind you of the coast of Oregon? If I had majored in geology instead of biology I would probably understand exactly why that is.

It seems like different beaches might serve different purposes. I wonder if your mom took you to the rocky beach when there was something in particular on her mind?

Just being near the ocean calms me. I don't necessarily want to be in it, just near it. Walking, looking, resting, listening...

Thanks for joining in, Kiwi.

choosewell
Old 09-07-2003, 12:05 AM   #4  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally posted by choosewell

Doesn't the coast of Maine remind you of the coast of Oregon?
I don't know, maybe it would if I'd ever been to the coast of Oregon
Old 09-07-2003, 10:04 AM   #5  
consistent

I meant in pictures! I've never been to the coast of Maine! lol....

choosie.

Ok we can stop now... lol
Old 09-17-2003, 11:09 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I have two favorite beaches, the first one is Redondo Beach, CA dh and I practically lived there, there and Cherry Beach in Long Beach, those two are special to us because we spent so much time there. But, Carmel is absolutely GORGEOUS! Ahhhh, I am so missing CA!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:21 PM   #7  

i am so jealous of all of this beach talk! here i am stranded in the middle of the country and the cold. oh, wait, this is supposed to be a good imagination exercise ok, i'll play along like a good girl now! my favorite beach is definitly in maui (hey, i only get to the beach when i'm on vacation, it can't be too creative!)
Old 06-03-2004, 05:39 PM   #8  
silly little creature

When I was a little kid living in Californina, we would always go to Pismo Beach. that was my very first beach... where I learned to body surf and ride dune buggies.

When I lived in Florida, I love Micklers beach. It was private and quiet, and that's where i learned how to surf. I loved it, and would spend every day of my teenage years at Micklers or at Jennie's. She was my best friend who's backyard was the beach. I've heard from people recently that Micklers has grown up and isn't the private surfer resort anymore. that sucks.

Then I moved to North Carolina and fell in love with the outer banks, specifically Hatteras Island. My friends and I also loved to go down to Charleston and party. I love to surf out there.

When I go back to NC this summer, I'll have my beach body back, too.. I can't wait.
Closed Thread