Old 05-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #1  
Stressed out Mama

Unhappy Where to start?

I've decided I'm ready to stop being fat! I have 3 kids to take care of so enough is enough. But I'm having the hardest time knowing where to start. I know I need to drink more water and get off my butt, but it's so hard to take those first steps. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

~Malinda
JustMalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:25 AM   #2  

Hi Malinda, welcome! Just start small. Little changes can make the biggest difference. Yes, up your water intake, cut down on your portions and any kind of exercise is better than none. I started off very slowly, just walking at a rate I could handle, but I made it a goal to do it every day. Consistant, positive changes are what it takes. And once you start seeing the difference these small changes make it will motivate you to make more and more. Don't let yourself get wrapped up in the planning of it all, it can get so overwhelming. Just stick to your goals every day and you will get there. Good luck Malinda, you've come to the right place for support.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:57 AM   #3  

Hi Malinda

Welcome, and congrats on taking that first step and joining us! I completely agree with boiabyon the baby steps approach....some of the things which helped me to begin were: cutting out junk/processed food; exercising every day, starting with a very short swim/walk and building up over time; promising myself that whatever approach I took, I would only do it if I knew I could live with it permanently - I refuse to go hungry, or to curtail my social life! This is a great place for ideas, support and motivation, so keep reading and posting!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:56 AM   #4  

Malinda, I agree alot with everything that has been said so far. Just the smallest changes are a great way to begin. Once you get accustomed to those you can make even more changes. A little bit at a time so that you are not overwhelmed by the whole process. In time it will all come together for you and get easier. Welcome to the group!!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:21 PM   #5  
missaprylj

Do some sort of exercise you enjoy, and don't to the same thing everyday (unless you're diehard into it, I guess....)

Otherwise, trust me, you will get tired of it and give up. I don't care how great Billy Blanks is, I could have died after doing TaeBo for about the 30th day in a row.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Welcome.. As all the others said. Make small changes first. Be sure you are ready to do this! A great tool that helped me is keeping a daily food journal. It just takes a few minutes to write down the caloreis/ fat etc. It really makes you aware of what you are eating and to be honest, disgusts you when you realize what you have been eating. That truly was and is the biggest motivator for me. I started out with the Walk away the pounds tape and after I lost a few lbs. I kicked it up a little and started at the gym. Walking instead of elevators doing toe touches periodically throughout the day ( I do 10 every time I go to the bathroom and from increasing my water intake, I can say I was doing about 100 during the work day!-- I know its weird) but any exercise is better than none. The big thing for me was soda intake. WOW.. THE CALORIES IN A SODA! I have switched to diet and I'll tell you, what a difference! Water is best but sometime you just gotta have the fizz! At any rate, this is the place to be for support and motivation.. You can do it! You've got a dozen cheerleaders here rooting for you! Congratulations for taking the step and good luck in your journey!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 01:33 PM   #7  

Hi Gretchen,
Some great suggestions. I too WATP. I've been doing the 3ml and alternate mornings with the which I absolutely hate. It actually makes me look forward to the WATP mornings. I just picked up a Kathy Smith video which has 2 low-impact 20 min workouts and 2 higher intensity 20 min workouts and I can barely keep up with either(plus a am bumbling around the steps it's too choreographed(sp?) for me, what a klutz ) But it makes me wonder if the WATP isn't enough. But I figure if I move and I sweat, it's worth it. I also noticed you say you journal. I have posted on many threads that it's so hard for me to journal. I trying to do WW pts. Its easier to figure out than calories and fat, I think. Plus being a diabetic I should journal anyway. Just seems like such a pain. Making sure the journal is everywhere you go. Actually, my pocketbook is large and always with me, so that's not a very good excuse. I guess its denial. I've said it twice now today. I'm been playing with the same few lbs up and down even though I've increased my exercise. It's got to be what I'm eating. I've quite smoking a 1 1/2 yrs ago, but I cant journal. What is wrong with me I think I need to post my weight and goal in my signature and add something denoting I've been journalling. I don't know. Have to try something.
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:00 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hi there! Sounds like you have gotten some great advice so far. Do you have any idea of what food plan you might try? The truth is that they all work. Counting Calories, Weight Watchers, Low Carb - all of them. It's just finding the one that suites you and sticking to it!

Let us know how you are doing!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:28 AM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome to the board, and yes, baby steps. That way it won't seem like a whole life overhaul.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome not much more advice to give. Keep on going over the bumps in the road, don't let them detour you back down your old paths.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote