Old 05-30-2004, 07:09 AM   #1  
The REAL me stepping out!

Default Good Morning - New Here

The first post is always the hardest post. I have been surfing these threads for well over a year. I jumped in a few times, but never followed through. It's time for a change!

I have bounced around all my life as far as weight goes. I would have to take a whopping guess, but I would say over the past 15 years, I have probably lost more than 300 pounds, but have always found those pounds over and over again. That's insane!

For starters, I am Jen or you can call me JJ, I noticed there is another Jen on the boards. I am married, with children, working as an addictions counselor. An ADDICTIONS COUNSELOR! The light bulb finally clicked on, I am NOT practicing what I am preaching! Granted I specialize in substance abuse, but an addiction is an addiction, regardless of what the drug of choice is, in my case it's food!

As I shared in my profile, I am my own worst enemy, my negative self talk has got to quit, TODAY! My self defeating motives are not helping me out at all! One thing that I have picked up for myself is that I am a stress eater. Stress and me, simply love the refridgerator or pantry.

Any advice or tips would be great and well appreciated, things have changed for me recently, new job within the last 90 days and I commute 45 minutes each way. Before I started this new job I would come home for lunch and do the salads and eat healthy. Since I have started my new job I have gone out to eat every day, you got it, fast food, and I have gained!

Everyone here is so encouraging and helpful! I am looking forward to meeting as many people as I can and work on this new way of life together.

I appreciate all of you and your posts!

Jen or JJ
JensHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #2  

Heya Jen...Start off slow..Try to find an eating plan that will work for you. I am doing between 1200 and 1600 calories a day with the addition of low fat and low carbs. That is what I find that works best for me. I walk alot, about 5 miles a day, but I am a at-home mom so that gives me probably more time than you have since you work full time. Try to incorporate some exercise. Every little bit helps, so if you can't find alot of time to do exercise start slowly and you will be amazed at what you can get in here and there.

Just getting started sometimes seems like the hardest part. Make a plan and go from there. There is an abundance of support to go around here so take advantage of that for sure.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #3  
missaprylj

You could try to bring your own lunch to work. I bring my own lunch to school because the cafeteria food is always like pizza, nachos, chicken nuggets, etc., not very healthy. So, a sandwich, some fruit, even a salad sometimes is a much better choice. Also, try to start drinking more water. Good luck! Post often!
Old 05-30-2004, 04:40 PM   #4  

Hiya Jen, and congrats on de-lurking yourself.....this is a great place for motivation, support and laughs - and plenty of ideas on how to live with this particular addiction of ours......look forward to reading your posts...
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hey there to another Jen...gosh do you think there are enough of us out there??

I've been doing the dr. phil rapid start plan. I did it for 2 weeks and lost 6 lbs and then went off and back to my regular way of eating and regained 3 lbs. I probably would have gained back more but I've been doing a lot of painting around the house, up and down the ladder so that helped in the exercise department. I started back with the plan today and I'm really going to stick with it.

That commute must be a killer. If I have to drive more than 20 minutes to work I won't work there! I can't stand being in the car all the time. I work 12 hour shift so I often end up taking 2 meals with me to work so I know how hard it is to be disciplined to pack a lunch. My recommendation is to buy the biggest lunch bag you can find. Is there a fridge at work you can put your lunch in? If not get a huge lunch bag that is insulated and has an ice pack with it. I take containers of salad with me and small containers of dressing. If there is a fridge at work find out if you can leave a bottle of salad dressing there, just be sure to take it home at the end of the week and also label it with your name. If you have a hard time finding a large lunch bag you can also look in stores that carry camping, hiking and outdoor type supplies.

Take care and best wishes.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #6  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi JJ!

Welcome to the 100lb club - well done for having the courage to come out of lurkdom!

This is a great group of people - some at the start of there journey (like me), and some who have great successes and are on their last pounds!

I agree that you should take a packed lunch to work - you just need to get into the habit of preparing it the night before.

I am the of yo yo dieting, so I know exactly how you feel! As for you being an addictions counsellor - you are just proof that it can be very hard to practice what you preach!

I look forward to getting to know you better!

Love Amanda xx

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 05-30-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:38 PM   #7  

Tammy,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Last summer I use to walk four nights a week, walking 3 miles. I am just gonna have to DO it. Usually by the time I get home and fix dinner for everyone (which maybe it's time for them to cook dinner), I am pooped!

By the look of your stats, you are doing great! Keep on doing what you are doing, it's working!

Talk to you soon!

Jen
Old 05-30-2004, 07:45 PM   #8  

I want to thank each of you who welcomed me to this board! I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and then some!

You are all right, I need to pack my lunch the night before. I have to leave in the morning around 6am, and trust me, at 5am I am in no shape to pack a lunch, let alone put on the mascara!

Jen you mentioned that commute time. I too at first thought it was a pain in the whazoo, which I haven't driven it in the winter yet, so I am sure I will think it's a pain as well as that time comes on. I however, use that time for me. I am currently in school finishing up my bachelor's degree (distance learning) and listen to tapes. I read all my material on a cassette tape and listen to it to and from work. I can't believe how well that is working out for me! YEAH!!!

What is the Dr. Phil rapid start plan?

Amanda, I see that you and I are just starting and at the same weight....let's go girl, let's perservere together!

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Jen

.....are there any time when there is a "chat" scheduled?
Old 05-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Welcome Jen! Its nice to have you jumping in. I've said it before and I'll say it again... This group is the absolute BEST! Good luck!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the group. As for me, we have a fridge here so I started putting a few frozen meals in (not a lot cuz they get old and are loaded with sodium), keep cans of soup around and I try to pack my lunch either the night before or morning (I have to pack a diaper bag for 2 as well so I usually pack my lunch while I'm stocking it).
As for exercise I use about 15 minutes of my lunch break to eat, 15 to visit and let the food settle and 30 to walk the streets around here. I haven't been as religious with my noon walking as I should be. So when I get home sometimes before dinner (I have a great DH who cooks for me.) I'll walk to the cemetery up the road from the house. It's 3/4 of a mile there then I like to walk around and read the stones. I'm going to take my notebook next time and record a few dates. I just load the kids up in the wagon and take them with me.
good luck on your journey and welcome. It looks like by yoru stats you've already come a long ways.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:35 PM   #11  
Jen

Jen - dr. phil's rapid start plan is in his book The Ultimate Weight Solution Food Guide. I won't go into it in detail but basically it consists of a protein serving with each meal, fruit serving and low fat milk serving twice a day, 1 carb serving and lots and lots of veggies. It can be tough to follow but it really does work. Generally we don't have a schedule chat time, everyone seems to log on at different times so it is difficult to get a few people together.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 AM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:56 AM   #13  
Live for the Moment!

Welcome! TADA! You can do it...
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote