Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #1  
Queen of Balance

Smile My sad attempt at Pilates for Lower Body...

Over the weekend, at a yard sale, I scored Kathy's Pilates for Lower Body video. I tried it out yesterday. I couldn't figure out or follow all the instructions and I certainly couldn't do most of the moves. I had to chuckle at myself. I guess I'm just not cooridinated enough-- yet. I could chuckle at myself, because I know that I've improved my body and health incredibly over the past 3 or so years and I know that Pilates is a pretty advanced form of exercise. I'm glad I could chuckle instead of crying. LOL

So, I just had to ask you all~ am I the only one that has had trouble with Pilates? I'm not talking about beginners who are completely new to exercise, I'm talking about seasoned exercisers. Just curious, thanks for reading!

Here's to trying new things, even if doesn't work out on the first try! LOL

Kindly,
Connie
HealthyConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #2  
Head Princess

Hi Connie -

Pilates is a tricky thing. There are a lot of people out there who claim to teach Pilates, but are really doing something that can be dangerous because they're not properly trained. (Denise Austin is one of them and I'm guessing that Kathy is too.)

After much research, I have found 2 excellent sources for Pilates training. My personal favorite is a woman named Brooke Siler. She is Guild certified (very important that the instructor is Guild or Stott certified) and has a book out called The Pilates Body. The book is great for explaining how Pilates works, the philosophy involved, and what should be going on internally that the videos don't explain very well. It also gives you modified versions of the moves that you can use until your strength builds up. Brooke also has a product out called The Pilates Body kit. It includes flash cards and CD's. I personally prefer CD's to DVD's because you won't throw yourself out of position trying to watch the tv.

If you want a DVD or video, Winsor Pilates is excellent. Mari is also Guild certified and there are 3 DVD's so you can work up through the levels.

Hope that helps
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:39 PM   #3  
Queen of Balance

Thank you, Star Princess! I definately see your point. For now, I think I'll accept that I'm temporarily Pilates-challenged, lol. If I get the bug to try it again, I'll get the Winsor Pilates series or the Pilates Body kit.

Thank you so much for your response and suggestions!! I appreciate!

Kindly,
Connie
Old 06-01-2004, 09:26 AM   #4  

Default Pilates moves take time to learn

Please remember that it takes time to learn to use those muscles correctly and effectively. Even for a "seasoned exerciser", these moves are probably different than those you have done before.

Learn to feel the muscles you need, learn to use them correctly, then practice ! It may take a few weeks until you feel that you are getting the hang of it, but it is well worth it!

I use Winsor Pilates and I find it is very similar to ballet dancing in terms of the muscles used. I love it !

Good luck and stick with it
kitty
kittykitkat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:34 PM   #5  

I participate on Kathy Smith's board on iVillage occasionally. She is not certified but she is VERY knowledgable, so I don't hesitate to recommend her videos. I HAVE heard bad things about Denise Austin on that score, though.

As others have said, Pilates is just different. It involves a lot of inner work that takes a while to get the hang of. But, once things click for you, it'll all make sense. I have Kathy's Pilates videos and while I respect her and like her style, it's still a bit much for me. I picked up a video called Pilates for Weight Loss by Gaiam. It's great for Pilates newbies, especially those who are overweight, because she presents the full "regular" version of all the moves, while another person does partially modified moves and a third does fully modified moves. If you have the DVD you can actually choose to watch just the model that suits you best. I am a somewhat seasoned exerciser, but still about 40 pounds overweight with a weak core. I found the fully modified version doable, so I'm enjoying that.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #6  

Connie - I have trouble with Pilates too. I think I have trouble with for a number of reasons: very weak core, overweight with a puggy tummy, and its different from all the other exercise I've ever done.

I feel I really need pilates to strengthen my core but have trouble motivating myself to do it because I'm so bad at it. (And because I tend to prioritize cardio exercise above strength training and stretching.)

funniegrrl - that video sounds neat!

I have "Pilates for Dummies." The instructor shows some modifications on the exercises.
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #7  
Head Princess

Funnie - I forgot about the Gaiam videos! I have Pilates for Weight Loss and one that involves a Bodyband. Both are pretty good. Since I started out with the book, The Pilates Body, I based my workouts on what I learned there. I don't always do the moves the way the instructor says to - I do them the way the certified person said to instead.

I was amazed at how quickly my core and leg muscles firmed up and how quickly my strength increased. And Kitty is right, even athletes, who are in excellent physical condition, tend to have trouble when starting Pilates. It just takes time to learn to use your muscles in a new way, but it will happen!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #8  
Queen of Balance

Thumbs up You're absolutely right, Kitty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykitkat1971
Please remember that it takes time to learn to use those muscles correctly and effectively. Even for a "seasoned exerciser", these moves are probably different than those you have done before.
kitty
I agree and see your point. Thank you for taking the time to write and encourage me. I think part of my problem is that the vid I'm using doesn't have enough instructions. Perhaps I need to put "beginner Pilate workout" on my list of things to reward myself with.

I'll keep an eye out for used/discounted Winsor Pilates workouts.

Thanks again!

Kindly,
Connie
Old 06-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #9  
Queen of Balance

Talking Hey, yeah! I recognize your nickname!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
As others have said, Pilates is just different. It involves a lot of inner work that takes a while to get the hang of. But, once things click for you, it'll all make sense. I have Kathy's Pilates videos and while I respect her and like her style, it's still a bit much for me. I picked up a video called Pilates for Weight Loss by Gaiam. It's great for Pilates newbies, especially those who are overweight, because she presents the full "regular" version of all the moves, while another person does partially modified moves and a third does fully modified moves. If you have the DVD you can actually choose to watch just the model that suits you best. I am a somewhat seasoned exerciser, but still about 40 pounds overweight with a weak core. I found the fully modified version doable, so I'm enjoying that.
Nice to "see" ya here,funniegrrl! I have the same nickname on Ask Kathy Smith board. Funny we should meet here!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice with me. I think maybe the vid you recommended, Pilate for WL by Gaiam, might be more my speed. I have great respect for Kathy, also, but for some reason this Pilates workout of hers is just not clicking with me. I really like the idea of being able to see various modifications to the moves- that would really help me.

Kindly,
Connie
Old 06-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #10  
Queen of Balance

Thumbs up Awww, Maureen, you're so sweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurene
Connie - I have trouble with Pilates too. I think I have trouble with for a number of reasons: very weak core, overweight with a puggy tummy, and its different from all the other exercise I've ever done.

I feel I really need pilates to strengthen my core but have trouble motivating myself to do it because I'm so bad at it. (And because I tend to prioritize cardio exercise above strength training and stretching.)
I totally identify with what you shared! I've lost 70 pounds, with at least 55 to go...and my tummy is still pudgy which makes Pilates, and yoga, a bit difficult to execute. I'm glad I'm not the only one with these "issues"!

Let's both keep at it and look forward to seeing and feeling results!

Kindly,
Connie
Old 06-02-2004, 02:47 PM   #11  

Hey Connie --

I thought your name looked familiar! heh heh
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote