Old 05-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #1  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Default If you have excess skin will you have it removed?

Why or why not?

Sometimes I think I would really like to have the extra skin removed when I lose all my weight. But then I think is the health risk really worth it and the expense. I was looking at the price and it seems to be around $20,000 for the arms, legs and tummy. I just don't know if I could justify the risk and price. How do you all feel about it?
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 12:48 AM   #2  
Losing Again!

I'm fairly confident that I will indeed have extra skin when I near the end of this part of the journey. At this point, I have decided that I can dress around the issue. I'm not one for pain and the expense is huge. And any surgery is risky, so something optional like that just doesn't seem like something I really need to do. But that's just me.
Daners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:00 AM   #3  
Born Loser

I feel exactly the same way Dana. I figure I where clothes now to try and hide some of the fat and I know that does not work but I figure when I get down to goal weight I ought to be able to look pretty nice with the right choices.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

I have lots of excess skin and I've still got over 30lbs. to lose, so it's going to get even worse. I'm realistic enough to know the elasticity isn't likely to come back at my age regardless of how much I exercise, but surgery...? Yes, I can wear a good girdle and hide a lot of it under clothes and no, I don't plan on wearing a bikini any time soon anyway. The expense is a huge consideration - if it came down to a choice between travelling to somewhere I've always wanted to go or skin removal surgery, I'd choose the former over the latter. The health risk is also big - it'd just be my luck to finally get to goal and then die on the operating table getting rid of the skin the fat used to be stored in!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:47 AM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I'll have to letcha know when I get there. It's a lot of money.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:16 AM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

In a word...YES!!! If I'm going through all the hard work to lose weight I want to have a great body at the end of it. My understanding (currently) here in Canada that if you lose weight and keep it off for over a year then our health care program will pay for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). That is at the present time but who knows the way our government cuts back on stuff. I believe that it runs around $5000 or so. As long as you are in good health the risks are minimal. Yes of course there is risk with any surgery but I think it would be worth it.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:29 AM   #7  
Born Loser

I feel like Jill. It would be my luck I would die on the operating table. I don't know what my healthcare rules are on something like this. If they used the 1 year rule as your goverment does Jen. It sure would be tempting. I think if my healthcare payed for it I might have to think it over really hard.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:10 PM   #8  

I hope you all don't mind me jumping in here, but I'm very curious about the price, as I may end up having some "work done," at least the turkey wattles. How is the price determined? By the type of procedure? By the square inch? And what does the price cover-- just the surgeon's fee, or all the other stuff too, anaesthesiologist, supplies, hospital, aftercare, etc. I would love to find a site that has "hard" and "soft" costs broken down on an estimating chart, like we have in the remodeling industry. I haven't found anything like that on the internet-- in fact the surgeon's sites I've seen don't discuss costs much at all.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Yes, Yes and...uh, yes!! WHEN I finally get all this weight off, the skin comes too. If it were just a tummy issue maybe not - but man, I know the girls are really going to need help. Mortage the house baby - moma need surgery!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:00 PM   #10  

OMG, Sandi, you kill me!! Moma needs surgery!

As for me, if I ever find a way to afford it then yes. I have worked long and hard to get where I am now but I still won't dress the way that I would like to because of the excess skin. I want to feel comfortable in a tank top or swimming suit. I'm still young enough that I wouldn't mind letting my tummy show and maybe even get my belly button pierced if it wasn't all a big wrinkley, hanging mess. I also know that if I ever did get to do it, I would be scared to death and probably have second thoughts. But I'm sure I would go through with it because it would be worth it to me. I've never been thin before and I would like to fully enjoy it someday. So for now I'll keep on hiding it with clothes and try to pinch my pennies for "someday".

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:25 PM   #11  

Oooo....Howie you ask a million dollar question! I have been thinking a lot about this lately!

It is my understanding that in Canada, if you loose over 100 pounds and maintain the lower weight for over a year then you may be eligible for the tummy tuck.

My problem is that I am hoping to have children within the next 5-7 years. No sense going through the pain and discomfort of a surgery only to restretch everything out!

Then it makes me think....don't most women who have children have loose skin around their bellies? Isn't that just how the body is meant to "normally" be??

One thing that makes me think very seriously about having the surgery is my satisfaction in my own body....I sometimes find that I am more critical & self-conscious about my body 30 pounds from goal than at 100+ pounds from goal. Strange, huh? Maybe I'll just become more comfortable with time???

Guess that's my long winded way of saying....I'll have to wait and see....
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

If there was a magic money tree somewhere then yes in a heart beat I would get the works done. since there isn't then WHEN I get there and maintain for at least a year (my own choice and just so I can see what might go back on its own) then I'll look at what area troubles me the most and raise the money for it (wonder how many cups of lemonade that would take? . I'm pretty sure I'll have the bat flaps since my mom, her mom and sisters, etc all have them.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:29 PM   #13  
Searching

I will cross those bridges when I get there. In a way the scars of my food obsession seem like a good reminder, but especially with my tummy it goes too far. The skin hangs into my lap, if I don't baby it EVERY SINGLE DAY it gets infected, then the skin splits and weeps. My doctor has told me that one I can stabalize my weight for a year we will discuss options. I am sorry body

Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:23 PM   #14  

If money was no option I would definaltly have the excess on the abs, thighs and arms removed and the excess in the breasts "stuffed". I just dont hold enough hope that all this skin will ever shrink to something I can feel good wearing tight jeans in.
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:04 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

absolutely yes. in fact, i'm starting the insurance process right now. the infections that miss chris described keep coming back. i can't find any clothes to wear. i'm one size on top, another size in the bat wings, a third size [about 3 sizes bigger!!!] in the belly and hips because of the excess skin, and another size in the legs.

i just want to be ONE SIZE and i don't much care what it is!!!!

this is NOT about cosmetics, but about functionality. the excess 20-25 pounds of skin i have now will not go away. and i can't lose it. the orthopedist wants to see every last ounce off of me because of my knees...

and believe me, i would prefer not to have another surgery, or actually series of surgeries, but it's the only way...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote