Old 05-17-2004, 11:38 PM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Talking I ordered a Cross Bow (Exercise Machine) -- I'm so excited!

5/18: Edited to clarify that this post is about a piece of weight training exercise equipment rather than a piece of hunting equipment! Eek! I'm a New Yorker, what do I know about crossbows???

I'm so excited! I just ordered a Cross Bow and I'm sooooo looking forward to doing resistance training 3 times a week! We have a treadmill and exercise bike, so the in-home cardio thing is pretty much covered, but I just couldn't get into changing the plates on the barbells we bought used (like the other equipment.) It might sound lame, but I just couldn't muster the motivation to work out with the barbells, having to change the plates every time I needed to change the weight.

So, after much research, I decided on the Cross Bow; it's 1/3 the price of the Bow Flex, equally as effective, and, while not quite as well-made, at about a $1,000 less than the Bow Flex, a great deal overall. And it's only $35.00 per month, with no interest and a mere $35 finance charge! Too good to pass up. I've spoken (online) to a number of people who swear by it, and I'm just so happy that it's on the way! I have known that I wanted to incorporate weight training into my way of life, but I know I need to have the equipment in my home to make it feasible.

It has the lat bar and the leg extension, as well as an adjustable bench (and rowing machine capacity,) so I should be able to get a decent workout. 65 standard exercises are possible, but I know I'll need to pull out the barbells for lunges and squats. Hey, at least this machine will help me get headed down the right road to building muscle, losing fat and raising my metabolism. Once I get into a routine, the plate-changing issue of the barbells won't present such an obstacle. *rolling eyes at myself*

Thanks for listening.....and I'll keep you posted on my progress! Yayy!!

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 05-18-2004 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify that I'm excited about resistance training -- NOT HUNTING!! Weights and muscles, not fur and death! Forgive the bluntness, but I'm mortified pretty mortified!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:44 PM   #2  

It sounds wonderful!! You will definately have to keep us posted on how you like it. There is nothing like being able to do your workout at home as opposed to having to get out and go to the gym. I'm happy for you Sarah.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:17 AM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hum, I thought when I read this you were taking up hunting. I thought you bought a Cross Bow with arrows and all. LOL
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 PM   #4  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi Sarah!

Yes, I thought you were thinking of hunting small furry animals too!

It sounds great - I just hope that someone else is going to put it together for you as those things are a nightmare!

Have fun!

Love Amanda xx
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:49 PM   #5  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Default Woopsie!

Well, first of all, thanks Tammy, Howie and Amanda, for venturing bravely into this thread -- it seems by the absence of interest in this thread that a lot of folks here share my feelings about hunting! PLEASE NOTE MY EDITING NOTES ABOVE!! Ah well, the idea of an actual crossbow just never popped into my downtown New Yorker head! It's kind of funny though, since was raised as a vegetarian and am a staunch pacifist!

At any rate, I'm thrilled to pieces to have this machine on the way......my muscles are positively tingling in anticipation! I'll definitely update you once it arrives and I start to use it. As for the assembly, Amanda.....YOU SAID IT! For the sake of my happy, loving relationship, I'm seriously considering looking into some handyman action just so we can continue to talk to one another nicely, uninterrupted!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, I thought it was target shooting--hunting didn't enter my mind. In fact, I imagine they're having the trials for the summer Olympics soon. But, hey, since it's not a "real" cross bow, I guess you won't be competing.

Weight lifting is great. You'll really notice a difference in your clothes as you start toning up. It's kind of funny because I mostly see women in the weight room. I took a weight training class 30 years ago when I was in my 20s, and I remember joining the downtown Seattle YMCA in 1977 so I could lift weights after work. I was always the only woman and the guys would want to help me with those heavy weights. Kind of ticked me off at the time, but looking back, I should have taken it as an opportunity to meet someone!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:09 PM   #7  

Sarah - you didn't strike me as the crossbow type! LOL! Enjoy your new exercise machine. Hiring someone for assembly sounds like a GREAT idea!
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote