Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:46 AM   #1  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default LWL #154: Week of May 17 - 23

Good morning LWL! I get to start the thread this week - yippee!

Things have been a bit quiet lately - everyone must be out and about enjoying this great weather we've all been having. Hope everyone had a great weekend, and now are ready to tackle another week.

I'm off to more cardio this morning - since I'm not doing any UBWO for a couple weeks, to let my shoulder heal a bit, it's cardio, cardio, cardio for me. Wednesday will be a break with my LBWO finally.

I'm in on the July photos - I'll be wrapping up this latest Challenge right about then, so the timing is perfect for me.

Well - off to the gym... Everyone have a great day!
Cindy
Old 05-17-2004, 06:56 AM   #2  

Happy Monday LWL!

Again, thank you all for caring and sharing! Meg's thoughts about the "straight-line" and personal experiences along this journey are most definitely a learning experience for us all. Saturday night I cleaned out the frig and cabinets again for a "no-fail environment," and then went grocery shopping. Sunday I scheduled, planned and prepped so I'm ready to go.

It dawned on me yesterday another good habit I had slipped up on - eating small meals 5-6 X a day. It suddenly went from almost Spring to Summer here, and I found myself with no appetite because "it's too hot to eat." Compounded with all that I *thought* I had to get done, I was eating clean but more each meal when I did eat. And to think I "had it together" - Hah! I remember last July when I met you guys, and tried to develop the 5-6 meal habit. I wore a stop watch around my neck as a reminder until I got it down. Funny how a change in the weather and seasons could throw me off so badly.

So it's a new week and I'm armed with my toolbox and have my eye on the next goal for July, and new photos.

Cindy - speaking of photos, I saw your old and new passport photos on Saturday, and if it wasn't for your eyes, I'd never would have believed it was you.

Movie Review - TROY! We went Saturday late morning, and OMG. I saw Brad Pitt on Oprah a few weeks ago, and with clothes on, he did look beefy. But with less clothes, all I can say is he really had to do some serious working out to obtain *that* body. Other than his face, he never appealed to me because I viewed him as scrawny. Not any more. I'm an arm and thigh woman, and enjoy pro baseball and basketball games for the arms and thighs. After this, I'm going to do a google search to see if I can find a poster of Brad as Achilles for my basement. Hommina, hommina, hommina. Oh yeah, the movie was good although the screenplay was a stretch from the mythology.

Well, on with the day, staying on schedule, you know. Hope everyone stays safe and lives this one healthy.

dip
Old 05-17-2004, 08:12 AM   #3  

Hello,
I've been MIA lately. I have somehow aggrevated my elbow and its gone from annoying to downright painful. I'm in a sling & typing w/one hand (not easy). I'm back on track w/eating mostly clean & cardio but no weights for 2 wks til this elbow problem clears up.

I have noticed a pattern in my eating where after a week or 2 of clean eats I go on a sugar binge, maybe just for a meal or 2 but then I feel awful and for some reason I am really struggling to kick this habit. I am challenging myself and others who are interested to avoid all sweets til July 1st. Seems to happen on Sundays which I have come to treat as cheat day. But I cannot handle a cheat day, I need to stay on track. I need to do this because everytime I get into the cakes & cookies I disappoint myself and that disappointment overshadows all of my accomplishments. I'm aware of the problem & the pattern. So if anyone else struggles w/ their diet like this, join me in banishing sugar from our plates til July 1st.

Hugs to all.
Anne
Old 05-17-2004, 09:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Dip - I'm glad you posted your problem because everyone's responses apply to me as well. Like you, break time is now over and its time to get back to TAKE CARE OF ME business. "Troy" - I was hoping someone would post about it. How was it? Is it full movie ticket price worthy or only matinee worthy?

Anne - Best of luck in your challenge til July 1. I have a personal challenge of my own going on but the time frame is much MUCH shorter - a 24 hour challenge. If I can get past 24 hours, then maybe I can get past 48, then 36, etc.

I cut my front and back lawns Saturday and had a new and very UNPLEASANT discovery. The grass that was bagged up from the previous cuttings is now STINKING! I didn't know that cut grass could stink and rot. OMIGOSH! As I was tossing a bag of it into my trash can a bunch of stinky grass juice poured all over my shirt. Uggh! I looked like a blur of lightning running to get that crap off me. Ah well, live and learn. Butt is sore today from cheerleading practice yesterday. Go Broncos!

Tiki
Old 05-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default My "ME" Weekend...

This was a GREAT weekend for me all around! I feel so energized right now...

Here's what happened - Riding this weekend was moved from Saturday to Sunday morning, so I decided on Friday - since I already had a haircut appt - to make this a ME WEEKEND! which would include pampering myself as much as possible, and STAYING OUT OF THE HOUSE as much as possible as well.

So...at 6 am I was in the gym for a 45-minute session of HIIT cardio. (business as usual actually). Then came home, fixed breakfast for Jim and I (mine - oatmeal and eggwhites; his - lean ham, 2 eggs, 2 slices rye toast) and started cleaning the house like a whirlwind while Jim was out running errands.

A really wonderful nail salon opened up about six weeks ago in the downtown area (about 10 minutes' walk from our place) - it's CLEAN, has all-new stuff, and a great staff. I had a pedicure there on opening day and loved it - so I called in the morning and they fit me in at 11:45 am for a deluxe pedicure which included a wonderful calf exfoliation and massage...mmm...had my toenails painted lavender with a little floral design on the big toes.

Afterwards I strolled back to 24 Hour fitness and got in some tanning booth time (BTW, I put SPF 45 on my face and TT scars, and have a towel over my face and undies on - don't want my scar to become discolored!). Then went home, had a protien shake with Jim, and rushed to my 2:00 brow wax appointment - the esthetician was able to fit in a bikini wax too

I had a bit of time to kill between my waxing and my hair appt at 3:00, so I spent a little time in the library which is across the street from the salon...

Had my hair cut and styled - which it BADLY needed after 8 weeks (I never seem to have the time to come in for my 4 week bang trim...). Afterwards I met Jim for an early dinner/late lunch...went home and since we missed the Preakness (which was on at 3:00 pm here in Cali) I watched the reruns...dare I hope for a Triple Crown winner?!? Go Smarty!!

Yesterday (Sunday) Jim accompanied me to the stables - had a great time riding Dakota in my lesson, then we washed him and grazed him for a bit, while visiting with the other folks there. It was gorgeous in Woodside yesterday - a bit windy here. It was also Bay to Breakers day in San Francisco - consequently, the gym was EMPTY yesterday. Again, I just spent the day out and about - running errands mostly - but my goal was TO STAY OUT OF THE HOUSE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!

Ah yes, it was a good weekend! Of course...didn't get much PC time so I have LOTS of catching up to do...plus I have a meeting coming up this week to prepare for today...gotta get to work!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:14 PM   #6  
Mel

Gosh Karen, you must be feeling gorgeous today! Don't think I've ever had some of those things done! Did you get to watch the Preakness in all of that? Smarty Jones is, of course, all over the local papers and I always think of your love of thoroughbreds when I read the articles. He is quite the ham, apparently.

Tiki- That was a lovely visual What you discovered is the basis of composting. Bet those bags were pretty warm, too. Good luck with your personal challenge. Sometimes the first 24 hours are the toughest. Cheerleading practice sounds like a darn good workout

Hi and welcome back, Anne. I understand completely about the clean eating, then bingeing cycle. It's destructive physically and mentally. I've been working very hard to have that NOT be my maintenance plan. The sugary stuff is devastating to some of us. You're right, the longer you stay off it, the less you want it. When I was losing weight initially, I never took a cheat or free day, and ate no sugar or processed foods. It wasn't until I started BFL and started having a cheat day, that I got into trouble. For me, I had to get away from the "free day" or "free" anything mentality and realize that there are just some foods that are huge disaster areas for me. That doesn't mean I can't have treats, but to stay in control they have to something like a really good steak and glass of wine, or a fancy cheese, NOT a cinnabon. Unfortunately, I don't always practice what I preach, either. But I'm working on it, too. Hope your elbow heals soon. My shoulder was in constant agony for nearly the last six months, but I've been out of the gym for 10 days, and haven't even felt a twinge. Hopefully, next week when I go back, I'll still be twinge free.

Dip- Welcome back, it's so good to hear you're back where you want to be. Good for you on cleaning up the environment and identifying some of the things that slipped you up. How's the studying going?

Cindy- in case you didn't see my late night post from yesterday: what a change in your facial pics! do you need a new drivers license soon? I couldn't wait to get my new one.

Hi everyone I missed and those who'll arrive later

Mel
Old 05-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Hello gang!

What wonderful posts to come home to for my lunch break... I work today at a small school, but it's nice and quiet so I don't mind it at all. I finish at 3PM so I'll have time to get a good bike ride in because at 7PM a financial advisor is coming over... *I* find those meetings so excruciatingly boring , most of that stuff goes over my head anyways, and I have to get DH to repeat it to me in lamen's terms after the guy leaves. Thank gawd DH is patient!

Karen - Your weekend sounds devine!

Tiki - Your experience with rotten grass does not sound so devine!

Tiki and Dip -- Those responses and even what I wrote goes for me too!! I've been slacking in April and a good part of May... I'm back on track too...

to 3FCfor being here and all of us having met like this!

Dip -- Hommina, hommina, hommina ........ One of my g/f's says that ALL the time!!

Anne -- I have the same sort of pattern! But for me, after 2 weeks it's not only sugar, it's everything... I'm working on it too so I'm starting anew this week as of yesterday... Let's keep in touch!

Well my break is short so I will go lurk for a while...

Later all!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:57 PM   #8  

Hoop-dy-do! I got through my first full day, back on track, in full force. I better get to bed before I blow it. - just kidding. Did an UBWO this afternoon while watching Dr. Phil and I'm sore already - good! I even kept to my schedule and found I had time left over so I went to WalMart for supplies tonight instead of tomorrow. I'm already ahead of my own game.

Tiki - Sorry to hear about your rotting grass experience. I never lived in or had to care for a house until I was 32 when I bought my own (first.) I cut the grass with an old-fashioned pushmower, raked the clippings and bagged them. I learned the hard way too because I left the bags behind the garage in the heat that first year. EEEWW, pretty nasty and the garbage guys didn't appreciate I left them at the curb either. As for Troy, yep it's full price worthy, however we rarely go to anything but matinees. We were surprised that the 2nd showing had about 10 people, and the theatre itself was rather empty. Troy was on like 5 screens, and Van Helsing on 5. We ordered our tickets on Fandango expecting a big crowd since both movies have been so anticipated. When we got there, no one was in line - weird.

Anne - Sugar itself hasn't really been an issue for me as much as fat and flour with sugar combinations. I did the same yo-yoing as you, taking advantage of the "free day," which made me literally sick and having to face detoxing all over again, and again and again. So I had to eliminate a "free day," but as not to feel deprived, allow myself to have a free meal, or a clean meal and a desert, usually on Friday night or Saturday when I go out with DH. Some times we do that free meal up in a big way, some times we don't. But I've found that it's easier to get over a meal or desert than it is a whole day of eating wrong. And the guilt and self-loathing is minimal. It also gives me something to look forward to after week's worth of effort that isn't going to totally blow it.

Hi Mel! I should be studying right now, but will do some review with flash cards before bed. Otherwise, it's going OK, I would like to be able to retain more and not have to keep going back for so much review, but I blame that on age. I met a lady a few weeks ago who's lost 90 pounds on Atkins, but has never even done cardio. I offered to take her on for free once I get certified just to have someone to practice on - she agreed but says she's alergic to exercise - and unfortunately, looks it. She weighs less than I do and is still in a size 18. She couldn't believe I weight 175. I couldn't believe she weighed 150, but of course I didn't say that to her. OH! last week our local county newspaper featured an article on the same trainer that does "Slow Mo" that my insurance lady goes to. One of the reporters went to him, and after 4 months wrote a review. BUT! she didn't say how many inches she lost or anything, only that she gained strength. Kind of aggravated me because she tauted "Slow Mo" as the "future" of weight lifting. my as*.

Karen - wow, talk about a pampered princess! I consider it a treat just to do those kinds of things for myself. (not the bikini wax ) But then I'm just frugal - won't pay someone to do anything I can do myself. Also, DH doesn't understand why I spend so much time doing girlie girl things for myself because his mother and sisters never did. (No comment ) You must have felt darn good because I know how I feel when I do it up good. Good for you, sister!

Ilene my jelly bean - We went wrong but we're back in the saddle and it will all be good here on out. When will you be off *work release?* It's gotta be soon, no?

Well, I'm outta here. Hi to all and nighty-night. . .

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 05-17-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:02 AM   #9  
Meg

Morning, gang! Just a quick note before I dash out into the thunderstorms for some morning (indoor) cardio and then a trip to Ohio for the first load of DD’s college junk. She graduates this weekend and we’re concerned that we won’t be able to get everything into one car after the ceremony. So I’m going over with trash bags and boxes (and M&M cookies) to help her sort and pack. I’m hoping that most will stay behind in a Dumpster (a lot of the “furniture” came from Dumpsters originally ). Two of my meals will be while I'm driving, so I have to pack my little cooler. That way I can try to ignore the siren song of the KKs (“eat us!”) by the cash register of the place where I stop for gas and the bathroom.

Then it’s full tilt into graduation weekend, family party at home, DD’s birthday, and departure for NM on the 27th. DD and I will be flying with her cat as carry-on luggage, which will be a first for me. And unfortunately there aren’t any nonstops from Pittsburgh to Albuquerque, so we lay-over in Denver. The vet said not to give the cat tranquilizers, so I’m just hoping we don’t treat the rest of the plane to mournful meows for the trip. He’s generally pretty mellow, so .

It’s great to have you back, Dip! Not just back here posting with us, but the old Dip is back in town! This is the home stretch, baby!

Anne — I’m just like you and Mel when it comes to sugar, cheat days, and binges, so count me in on your no sugar challenge. I’m going to do my best to eat clean while I’m on the road for the next few weeks — I think you said it so well about how our disappointment in ourselves tends to out shadow all our accomplishments.

Yesterday was only my second leg workout since my surgery hiatus and wowzers, I can feel it! I’ve lost some leg strength but expect it to come back pretty fast (upper body is right back or exceeding where I left off). My big problem is flexibility and I’m going to have to take the time to stretch every day. I have incisions around my knees and they’re still swollen, so they just don't want to bend. I can’t do a standing quad stretch at all so will start lying on my bed and take it from there. At least I was able to do squats to parallel yesterday! And track lunges! (though I only used 10# plates instead of 15# DBS — they’re a whole lot easier to hold on to — trouble is the next step-up on plates is 25s and I’m not quite ready to lunge with those yet!)

And one note about Stupid Scale Tricks: my scale is up 1.5 pounds from yesterday despite 1300 totally clean calories, legs, and 30 minutes of intense cardio. It HAS to be sore leg muscles after the workout but it always does a number on my head!

OK, off to cardio, Starbucks, and the road to Ohio!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:40 AM   #10  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gals - just wanted to share that tonight was the first night of the intermediate tennis clinic I'm taking. And boy, am I gonna be sore tomorrow! All that hustling and stretching for the ball! And, I really need to adjust my swing for my new strength - granted, I've not played in years, but I'm having trouble keeping the ball in the court!

Ok, it's morning now, and I just realized I never sent this note... d'oh!
Cindy
Old 05-18-2004, 08:10 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Good Monday Girls

~ Cindy ~ I’m looking forward to taking pics now! I’d forgotten that your Challenges end at that time too...So let’s do it!! In July that is...

~ Dip ~ Ahhhh! *sigh* School lets out for the kids June 18th, and we’re out the week after... I’m so happy to hear you mention that you are still studying! Good for you... It is amazing how much heavier and mushy, I call it, someone looks when they don’t weight train, I don’t find it pretty at all ....

~ Protein bars ~ Someone mentioned them for traveling, I’m positive it’s not Meg or Mel, maybe Anne? Here’s what I’ve discovered about them for me: They must be full of sugar and cwap, because every time I eat one, doesn’t matter what the brand either, I start yawning and want to go take a nap. I’ve noticed I do this with all sugars or high glycemic carbs... Even wine, dang it! I’m ok after the first glass tho and can easily have a second!

~ Meg ~ Bon Voyage!

Yesterday I didn't make it to the gym but I got a 25K bike ride in....It's 8AM and I'm off to have some egg whites and oatmeal then putter around and clean up the go to the gym for a leg w/o ... I'm having lunch with my favorite cousin, she's very health concious so it's no big deal....

Later all!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:03 AM   #12  
Mel

Quick note on protein bars: I think I posted a recipe for homemade ones (no, they don't taste like snickers) in the recipe section. Meg has a totally different recipe. Mine are more like soft cookie bars and hers are kind of like tootsie rolls with oatmeal. All the commercial ones have some sort of sugar alcohols in them, which can do quite a number of some people's stomachs (mine). Let me go see if I can find mine... OK, here are two versions:

Pumpkin Protein Bars

8 egg whites
1/2 C low fat cottage cheese
2 C oats
1 C canned pumpkin
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 C water
1/2 C splenda
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, mace, ginger…)
1 tsp baking soda

Mix together in blender and pour in 9 x 12 pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cut into 6 bars for a complete 240 calorie meal.

If you want these crunchy, then take the bars and cut in half then slice down the middle. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and place cut side down. Re-bake at 375 for so minutes until brown and crunchy.

Chocolate Flavored Protein Bars

Use same recipe as above, but substitute 2 tbs. Dry cocoa powder instead of pumpkin pie spices. Use chocolate protein powder.

Note: Both these recipes are very hard to blend completely in my blender. I have used the blender to mix the egg whites, cottage cheese, and oatmeal, then transfer it to a stand mixer to complete the recipe. Otherwise, plan on spending a lot of time turing the blender on and off and using a rubber spatula to mix the top layer into the bottom where the blender blades can mix it.

I usually make 2 batches at a time (only 1 fits into the blender at a time), then cut each pan into 6 bars, wrap then in plastic wrap and pop them in the freezer. They travel really well. They have about 240 calories each, with around 23-25 g. protein and equal carbs.

Mel
Old 05-18-2004, 09:23 AM   #13  

Morning All!

Meg - Safe Passage! to Columbus and back.

Mel - THANKS! for bringing forward the protein bar recipes. Yesterday I was staring at the can of pumpkin in my cabinet and was going to look up that PP Bar recipe today. You made my day a little lighter! Also, forgot to mention last night that you were right about the complacency thing. I was beginning to take things for granted bascially. So Beware true believers! It can sneak up on you in the blink of an eye, and boom, bad habits resurface.

Cindy - Oh, I wish I could play tennis again! But I think I'll spend this summer perfecting my badminton. My son can really give me a run, and at volley ball too. Maybe tennis next year!

Ilene - funny you mentioned legs for today. I was just thinking about calling DIL2B to see if she wants to go to the gym this afternoon after work. I feel like murdering my legs today. My bi's and tri's are so sore this morning but bi's look pumped again after sadly deflating to white bread. First meal was oatmeal and a FFCC/protein shake with frozen strawberries. I feel stuffed!

Hi to all and have a great day!

dip
Old 05-18-2004, 11:33 AM   #14  
Lovin' Zumba!

Since we're in a recipe sharing mood today, I'll reshare JC's "apple pie" recipe. I made this last night for the first time and it was great. You can modify the amounts of oatmeal and cc to make this a larger or smaller meal if you like. Here's what I did:

Apple pie.....

1/2 cup dry oatmeal
splenda and cinnamon to taste (1/2 T. Splenda, 1/2 t. cinnamon)
a small apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces

a portion of CC (1 cup)
splenda and cinnamon to taste (1/2 T. Splenda, 1/2 t. cinnamon)
a dash of milk

Place the first batch of ingredients in a big bowl and fill with hot water until it is all covered (I used 1 c. water here). Microwave on high for 2 minutes and then mix and add more water as necessary and nuke it again until it's all soft. Usually 3-4 mins in total. Place in fridge to cool slightly. Whip up CC and remaining ingredients in a blender with the dash of milk until smooth. Once the apple mixture has cooled enough to eat (so still warm - about 5 mins in fridge) add the CC mixture on top and then eat.

Cindy

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 05-18-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #15  

Hi all,
I am looking for advice on how to start lifting weights. I have been losing weight for about 9 months going from 281 down to 207, by learning much better eating habits and exercising with the Richard Simmons tapes. Last week I had a great opportunity to join Beyond Fitness at a great price and I jumped on it. I have been using the equipment like the treadmill and I am not sure of the name of it but it is
Like cross-country skiing. Now I would love to take advantage of the weights but
I have no idea where or how to start. I looked into having a personal trainer but I absolutely cannot afford it at this time. Does anybody have any ideas as to how I should start? Thank you
Kearie
Closed Thread