Old 05-17-2004, 11:38 PM   #1  

Default Am I OVERDOING it??

My husband thinks I am over doing it with the amount of exercise I am doing . I have been walking 5 miles everyday and now I have added some gym time also. I am losing between 2 and 3 pounds a week. I feel great!! The exercise helps with stress and greatly improves my mood and for the most part I feel totally energized. What do you all think???

Edit: I don't want you all to think he is a bad guy. He is wonderful. He is just worried that I am taking the exercise to far. Thanks for listening you all.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:55 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Tammy, first of all, your husband MUST be a pretty great guy to have landed -- and kept -- a sweetheart like you! Also, if you say he's great, then I completely believe you!

As for your exercise, I think it sounds great. And if you felt happy and healthy doing more, then I'd say that sounded great too. It sounds like maybe he's just going through a period of adjustment to your new activities and way of spending your time, and maybe he just needs to see not only how much you enjoy it and how good it makes you feel, but also that it's not just a phase, but a new habit in your life that will continue past the weight loss and into maintenance. Maybe you could do some of it together once in a while so that he could see you enjoying it while it's happening? Just a thought.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:59 AM   #3  

Tammy
Congrats on your new exercise regime....sounds fantastic. Me, I am a great believer in listening to your body. If you feel great, and are enjoying it, certainly doesn't sound like too much to me. Last week, I seriously increased my exercise regime....and on reflection I knew it was too much.....my body was aching all the time......
So stick with it, girl!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Tammy- I think its awesome. My husband too sometimes feels like I am not spending enough time with him because I like to either be at the gym or using the treadmill. We used to just sit around and watch TV all the time together but now that I am trying to be more healthy, I think he feels a little envious of the devotion given to shaping up! Hey, I think in the long run our hubbys will be real happy that we are healthy but until then you have to expect an adjustment to change. I say if you feel great then keep going! You are doing a wonderful job!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:47 AM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Tammy! I think it's great!

Just a couple of questions for you.... how do you have the time to commit yourself to this? wow!! Do you take anyone on the walk with you ie. dog or child? or mp3 player? do you live in a climate that you will be able to walk all year? if not, what will you do in the winter.

I think it's amazing. Tell you husband to ask an Olypician if 10 hours or more a day of training to win a gold medal was too much

Just make sure you are staying safe - wear good shoes - bright clothes (if walking in rural areas) and don't walk at night alone!

Other wise - go for it!!

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #6  

He is in Japan right now with the Navy. So, we can't really exercise together. But, yes, it is true that at one time not to long ago he could count on me being home to answer his every call. Now, I am out alot, and he will call and I will ask him to call me back. I think he is starting to think "call me back" is my only vocabulary. It's not only exercise that eats my time. I am being a single parent while he is away. I just think he is starting to feel like I don't make enough time for him. And, I feel like there are just not enough hours in the day anymore. The day runs on a strict schedule so that I can fit everything in. I know it won't be so bad when he gets back, because then he can participate with me. It just really hurt my feelings when I am working so hard and for him to tell me that I was overdoing it. Almost like he does not understand how hard I do have to work to loose this weight. It does not just magically go away. I have a much bigger respect for myself and others who are losing weight because this is NOT easy. When he complains frequently that I am exercising to much I feel like he is trying to sabotage my efforts. I don't know. Thanks everyone for listening.

Edit: Dana, I always take the baby in the stroller. My son is 14, so if I walk at night he watches my 8 year old. But, almost always I have the baby. I usually have to split my walk up. I walk three miles in the morning and then I will finish up in the evening. Depending on where I walk sometimes I can take my 8 year old and she can play in the park. I just started going to the gym, so I am not exactly sure where I am going to fit that in. But, I will somehow. I live in Southern California so the weather is almost always accomidating for outside activities. I am determined to make this time and loose this weight this time. It just takes alot of effort.

Last edited by Tammy32; 05-18-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #7  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I had a cusin who lost a lot of weight and her husband became very jelous and had the feeling that she was now going to go find a another man that suited her new lifestyle. So if that is the case just make sure he knows your with him no matter what but you have to do this for yourself. I know with him being away so much it could very well lead to this kind of thinking for him.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:31 PM   #8  

Yeah Howie, sometimes I think that maybe me loosing this weight is making him a little bit insecure especially since he is not here right now. I could probably be doing a better job at reassuring him many ways. It's just so hard to juggle my time and make enough time for everything. I can see how I could be making him feel left out. Right now since he is away good communication is all we have, so I have to make sure that I keep it good. Who knew this loosing weight would create so many other issues. I am going to do my best to make sure I am meeting his needs during this journey. It's sure not easy though, but then no one said it was going to be easy to begin with.

Last edited by Tammy32; 05-18-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:19 PM   #9  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Tammy.. I used to live in Carlsbad, CA (just north of San Diego) - man, I miss it! your weather is always perfect!
So how I landed in Green Bay, WI
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:23 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Tammy,

Do you have a cell phone, or is getting one a possibility? Maybe if you did and your hubby could connect with you even when you are out and about an busy, he would feel better. That way you could stay connected, and still keep up your walking and the other stuff you need to do. Just a thought.

Gayle
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:37 PM   #11  

We have a cell phone but only have 600 anytime minutes and free minutes after 9 p.m. on weekdays and free weekends. The time difference really kills us. During the least stressful part of the day for me it is his sleep time. Then when it is morning for him it is late afternoon here and that is when my day is the busiest. I'm sure we will come to a happy medium at some point. Once school is out for the summer that will help also. I guess both him and I just have to be patient with each other. The deployment is not going to be forever, so we just have to make the best of it. It will be much eaiser when he gets home and can participate in the family unit again.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:03 PM   #12  

Hi Tammy,
So hard to be away from each other! I have heard a lot of people who are (or have) lost a lot of weight say that people treated them like they were a different person....as if the core of who they are changed with their appearance. Maybe he is concerned that you are changing while he is away. Kinda scary for him, I'm sure since he already loves you as you are.

Dana - if you dress well you can walk outside all year 'round! I walk about 5km every day....it hits -35C quite regularly in Ottawa. You just have to super bundle and walk extra fast. I think that I managed to miss only 3 days of walking all winter...Remember balaklavas are sexy winter wear!
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote