Old 05-11-2004, 05:51 PM   #1  

Angry new and looking for support

Last edited by eatnothingalive; 04-02-2020 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Privacy
eatnothingalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #2  

Hi Tara, Welcome!! I count calories also and I also watch the amount of fat and carbohydrates I allow in my food choices. It seems to be working out well. Starting out with small goals is good. It does not make it look like such a big amount of weight to lose if you make some smaller goals. That way you are not overwhelmed before you even begin. Heck, any goal is better than nothing. You will get wonderful support and encouragement here. I look forward to hearing how you are doing.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:33 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hi Tara, I also count calories. You can do it. This is a great place to be for support. Small goals are great I do that also. I also think of how quick time goes by and in just a year of how much weight I could have off. A year seems to go by so quick and that helps me to realize that this weight will go off so quick.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #4  

Last edited by eatnothingalive; 04-02-2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #5  

Hey Tara, My name is Tara also and I am in the same boat you are in. I have no idea where to start. I dont have time for weight watchers but someone who host the group at my office is trying to order the books for me. I joined curves but I just seem to get motivated to go like I should. Do you have any plans of what you are going to do or are you playing it by ear for now?
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Tara & Tara-
Welcome! This is a great group of people here.. The best I've ever encountered!
You can do it! I know you can! I also am a calorie counter and watch fat and carbs in my food choices as Tammy does. It seems to be working well. Exercise is very important too! Small goals.. baby steps.. It comes off nicely and before you know it you will have lost your first 25 lbs.. Don't think of it as a diet.. Think of it as a lifestyle of eating change. Design your diet to your liking while staying within your set calorie goals for the day. There are tons of new food products out there to accommodate every plan. Plan for treats and never give up!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:07 AM   #7  

Hi Tara & Tara

Welcome! This is a really supportive place to hang out....lots of people who understand this particular struggle/challenge! As they all say, baby steps, small goals, one day at a time. I guess one thing I would add is to maybe reflect a bit on what is different 'this time'? How it is you might be able to avoid that nasty yo-yo effect? My commitment to myself is that I will only follow a lifestyle (eating/exercise/water) which I feel I can do for the rest of my life - so I'm losing it very slowly, but planning on losing it forever......
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #8  

Tara and Tara, I think I started my plan and it took me a good two weeks to get in the swing of the exercise part of it. Now, I am an exercising machine! I realized that I don't have to totally deprive myself of some of the foods I enjoyed before as long as I am being mobile and doing something to exercise. Some days I love to exercise and some days I hate it! but, I know it is very necessary. One thing I do love about exercise is that it almost always gives me more energy and improves my mood tremendously. I have taken anti-depressants before and they kind of worked. Exercise has worked better than any medication I have ever taken for depression, and I have suffered from depression most of my life. Grab a friend if you can when you exercise. You can motivate each other.

I eat around 1200 calories a day. I know that when I walk more than five miles a day I have to up that some or I feel like I am starving. I try to stay under 40 fat grams a day and under 120 grams of carbs a day. It is working very well for me. I am averaging a weight loss of about 3 pounds per week. There is such a balance to it all and when you find that balance it all just falls right into place.

You two can do it!! I did not think I could and 26 pounds later I am still doing it and, for the most part, enjoying it. I love how my clothes are all starting to be to big. I love the amount of energy I have. Make a plan and stick to it. Even when you don't want to you are stronger than you think you are!!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:09 PM   #9  

Thumbs up Hi Tara

Hi Tara, I've been on this site for a few weeks and it has been extremely helpful, especially yesterday when I was having a "food issue" (craving McDonalds) I decided to lose weight and went on the South Beach (low carb, low fat) and it has been working pretty well. I haven't had soda in three weeks and I have been eating lots of fruits and veggies (the most since I have moved out of my parents house ten years ago) and overall I feel great. I want to lose 180lbs and my mini goals are 10 pounds a month. Today I am expecting my last shippment of 34, 36, 5X clothing and I hope the next I need to buy clothing I can just goto Fashion Bug Plus (they sell up to 32, I think) My husband is a vegetarian, so I know the struggles, he is also on the South Beach, but it is a little more tricky for him.
Good Luck and God Bless

Michelle

START DATE 4-19-04
WEIGHT AS OF 1-27-04 343 lbs.
WEIGHT AS OF 5-12-04 327 lbs
GOAL WEIGHT 160lbs

Last edited by mommamichelle; 05-12-2004 at 02:12 PM.
mommamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Tara and Tara
Everyone has given you some great tips. As for feeling overwhelmed, for me I keep reminding myself that all this weight didn't just appear overnight or in 2-3 weeks and there is no way I can expect it to all just come off that quickly. I'm taking it 10% at a time (see my siggy I'm 1 pound from the first 10%) If that is too much start out with 5% (you take your starting weight and subtract your ending weight and then divide by 5 or 10 depending on your goal and that is how many pounds you need to lose to get that first percent off.)

taraJW--as for weight watchers if you can swing one or two meetings you can pick up everything at that first meeting (I think it's 4 meetings to get the activity slider). That's what I did a couple of years ago. Of course the plan has changed a bit but the ladies and gents over at the weight watchers support are very kind at giving out the new points ranges, and answering questions. I think they even have a special going on now about waiving the registration or something.

Again welcome aboard you 2.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:50 PM   #11  

Thanks for the support everybody!! And Dawnyal, I'll try that WW thing, I appreciate the advice on that.
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:01 AM   #12  
Crazy Canuck

Hi Tara - I guess my most important input is just to say *don't ever lose hope*. I'm your height and started this adventure at about the same weight (wish I was your age though ) Anyway, it's pretty daunting to start, but with patience (note that it's almost 2 years for me) it CAN be done. Just don't get down when you have a few set-backs (I'm on a major one right now). Always remember that it's okay to fall off the wagon as long as you never let it get so far away that you can't catch up and hop on again!!

We're here and we understand! Good luck to you and all our other newbies I haven't had a chance to say a proper hello to!~!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #13  

Last edited by eatnothingalive; 04-02-2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:51 PM   #14  
Live for the Moment!

Tara's,

Welcome! Well if you're looking for the most wonderful ladies in the world, ongoing support and a great resource of weight loss information - you're in the right place!

We can all do this... We're here, arent' we? Isn't that really the first step?

Celina
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #15  
Abby's Mommy

Sorry this is late in coming... but WELCOME!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote