Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 04:19 AM   #1  

Default water intake - advice needed!

hi, i must admit to being a bit of a lurker on the message boards for a while but i'm going to try and be more involved from now on!

I looked at my journal for the past few days and realised that i'm really doing badly on my water intake - i think it read something like Fri - 3 glasses, Sat - 1 glass, Sun - 0 glasses. I do swim and use my exercise bike and do my yoga and pilates tapes so I'm relatively active - and i know how important it is to get those 8 glasses of water in a day, but I'm just finding it hard to remember to drink them (and also, if i'm honest, i'm more of a coffee-drinker when I'm thirsty, rather than water, which is a terrible habit). I find water really boring and have been trying to add in some low-cal squash instead to liven it up.

If you've any tips or suggestions, I'd be much obliged!
Old 05-10-2004, 06:17 AM   #2  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

How about caffeine-free diet sodas? I find it easier to squeeze in diet ginger ale and 7-Up and seltzers. Plain water I drink too... but I too have a problem getting in the 8 a day! It helps when I go to the gym though, because I bring a 4-cup Nalgene bottle with me and force myself to drink it before I leave

Other possibilities: low-cal juices, maybe mixed with diet ginger ale... Crystal Light... Fruit20... diet caffeine-free Snapples... skim milk...

Whatever caffeine-free liquids work for you, or alcohol-free for that matter heh!
Old 05-10-2004, 07:03 AM   #3  

diet ginger-ale sounds like such a treat! i'll definitely try that
and i didn't realise there was such a thing as diet snapple so i'll be on the lookout for those too, thanks a million!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:52 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Remeber that 1/2 of your suggested 6 8-ounce glasses can come from decaff beverages including juice, milk, Crystal Light, etc.

20 Tips For Getting Your 8 Glasses of Water Daily

Sometimes drinking our eight glasses of water a day can be a real challenge Here are 20 tips to help you accomplish that feat! It is said by many beauty experts that drinking your water is the cheapest, quickest way to look better! That should motivate us!

1. Make a bet with a co-worker to see who can drink more water in the course of a day.

2. Have a big glass of water at every transitional point of the day: when you first get up, just before leaving the house, when you sit down to work, etc.

3. Make it convenient - keep a big, plastic, insulated water bottle full on your desk and reach for it all day.

4. When you have juice (apple, grape, or orange) fill half the glass with water.

5. When you have a junk-food craving, down a glass of water immediately. You feel full quickly and avoid the calories, and it lets time pass till the craving fades.

6. Have one glass every hour on the hour while at work. When the work day is done your water quota is met.

7. Substitute a cup of hot water with a drop of honey for tea or coffee.

8. While at work, get a 20 ounce cup of ice and keep filling it up from the office water cooler. The key is drinking with a straw - you take bigger gulps and drink much more.

9. Freeze little bits of peeled lemons, limes, and oranges and use them in place of ice cubes - it's refreshing and helps get in a serving or two of fruit.

10. After each trip to the ladies room, guzzle an eight-ounce glass to replenish your system.

11. Don't allow yourself a diet soda until you've had two to four glasses of water. You will find that you won't want the soda anymore or that just half a can is enough.

12. Let ounces of water double grams of fat: When eating something containing 10 grams of fat, I drink 20 ounces of water.

13. Drink two full glasses at each meal, one before and one after. Also, drink one glass before each snack so you don't eat as much.

14. Carry a small refillable water bottle at all times and drink during downtime; while waiting in a bank line, sitting on the train, etc.

15. Use a beautiful gold-rimmed glass and fill it with cold water from the tap.

16. Drink two glasses of water immediately after waking up.

17. Bring a two-liter bottle of water to work and try to drink it all before you leave work. If you don't finish, drink it in traffic on the way home - it's like a race.

18. Always keep a 24-ounce bottle of water handy while watching TV, doing laundry, making dinner, etc.

19. Add drinking two glasses of water to your daily skincare regimen. Drink, cleanse, moisturize, etc., then drink again.

20. Drink your water out of a big Pyrex measuring cup - it's a good way to keep track of how much water you are drinking.

Many of us when we find out why water is important we tend to focus on it so...

Water! Why drink at least two quarts a day?

Because that's roughly how much water we lose normally through perspiration, waste removal and other functions. Add sultry weather or enough exercise to break a sweat
and the amount of water needed to stay healthily hydrated - not to mention avoid fatigue, light-headedness, nausea, and even heat stroke - quickly climbs.

Additionally, water keeps your energy up, weight down, muscles strong, joints supple, digestive system smooth -- your whole system in physical balance.

Water:

1) regulates body temperature
2) makes up 83% of blood
3) removes waste
4) composes 75% of brain
5) helps carry nutients and oxygen to cells
6) moistens oxygen for breathing
7) helps convert food to energy
protects and cushions vital organs
9) helps body absorb nutients
10) accounts for 22% of bones
11) cushions joints
12) makes up 75% of muscles

It really depends on the person and their activity level as well as the weather. I find the more I drink the less I actually retain with my activity level and climate. Additionally because of diureteic effects of caffeine drinks you should have 1 8-ounce glass of water for each 8-ounce glass/cup of these you drink to minimize the effects.

On the other hand however, there is a thing as too much water. If you drink in excess of 8 liters without getting the proper other nutrients your body will actually start depleting
itself of those nutrients.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #5  

Kel - those are brilliant tips! i'm going to print them out and hang them by my desk and adopt at least a few of them - thanks so much!
Old 05-12-2004, 03:55 PM   #6  
Look out Summer 2005!

I bought a large water jug, and what I do is fill it up every morning before work, drink it throughout the morning, and fill it up again at lunchtime for the rest of the day. I'm not sure how much water it holds, haven't gotten around to measuring it yet, but it's a LOT more than I had previously been drinking. It's really helped me get better about drinking more water.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #7  

I hate to break up the party, but more than one doctor has told me that the 8 oz of water a day doesn't apply, if your overweight. In order to promote weight loss and aid digestion, you need to drink 1/2 your body weight in water. I've actually gotten up to 64oz easily. I'm shooting for a gallon of water a day. of course, if you drink that much water you won't have a problem with overeating, because your always full and you spend more time in the bathroom.

I've lost several inches without really watching my food intake or exercising just from drinking the water. My nutritionist told me that nothing else can replace water because of the sugar in everything else (even 100% juice). I can't begin to tell you how much better I look and feel just because of the water consumption. My digestive system runs much smoother. My skin is clearing up. etc. I practically cut out all soda and coffee (sometimes I cheat). Sometimes I drink 100% apple or orange juice.

What I do is I carry around a 32oz bottle everywhere I go. I keep a couple of gallons of water at the office. I drink 320z in the morning before I leave for work. I try to drink another 32oz before noon. I try to finish another 32oz before I get off from work. It's normally the last 32oz that gets me. I want to sleep at night without using the bathroom 5-6 times. So, I'm trying to finish drinking all my water by 7pm. Lately, that has meant that I stop somewhere between 64-96oz. I'm still working it out.

Today, I'm actually on my last 32oz bottle of water now. I'm actually going to make my goal today. I know someone that actually lost 50 lbs and all she did was increase her water intake to a gallon of water a day, and she didn't exercise, and she ate whatever she wanted to eat. It's worth a try. I'll keep you posted on my progress. So, get to drinking that water ladies and see the inches and pounds melt away.

I just started exercising and watching my calorie intake. So, I'm looking for some great results shortly.

B N Couraged,

Ro
Old 05-12-2004, 05:52 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirojon
I hate to break up the party, but more than one doctor has told me that the 8 oz of water a day doesn't apply, if your overweight. In order to promote weight loss and aid digestion, you need to drink 1/2 your body weight in water.
FYI there is no scientific research that proves the above statement. That statement is put out by a company who is in the business to sell water and some physicians buy into it. I work for a urologist who has done research and once the body is sufficiently hydrated you only need 6-8 8-ounce glasses a day. Remember you get water from other sources too...read on...

Water, water, everywhere...even in your food!

JaneStarr posted 01-23-2001 10:45 AM I think that some of us are getting carried away with the "benefits" of consuming large quantities of water. I truly believe in moderation in all things -- water included.
--Jane

Water, Water, Everywhere, Even In Your Food (from healthcentral.com The Dr. Dean Digest Daily Issue on January 19, 2001) - Here is a study from Tufts University:

A study of a small group of women, measured each drop they took in and each drop they eliminated, and found that the water, juice and decaffeinated beverages consumed averaged the recommended eight cups per day.

"But the real surprise was that women met almost 40 percent of their water needs with food alone. In fact, when their water intake from food, water and other beverages and metabolic reactions was added up, they exceeded their minimum recommendation by 50 percent."

Eating and drinking as they naturally would, they took in more fluid than they needed.

Foods contain a lot of water; some are more than half water. Vegetables are about 95 percent water, sirloin steak is 60 percent water, a slice of white bread is 37 percent water.

Dr. Wayne Campbell of Purdue University thinks people mistakenly think they have to drink eight cups of water each day. Because foods contribute to water balance too, most people are getting their eight cups of water without actually drinking eight cups of water.

You can get your fluids from food and from other beverages, but not alcohol. Alcohol doesn't count.

People who exercise heavily and sweat a lot, and anyone who is ill, especially with fever, vomiting or diarrhea should drink a lot. People older than 70 can be dehydrated without feeling thirsty, so they should drink a lot whether or not they feel a need.

Of course, if you want to chug down eight glasses a day, no harm done.

Source: January 2001. Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:53 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

and more on how much you actually need based on research not a water seller:

How much water do you need?

The old standard suggestion of 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of water a day is still good. But people who exercise may need more like 2 or 3 quarts, especially when it's hot and humid
outside (and during illness).

Get in the habit of carrying a water bottle. It's easy to measure, handy to cart around especially during workouts, and saves waiting in line at the water fountain - - where it never seems polite to guzzle what you really need when others are waiting.

Drink cool water when you're hot. Cool water empties out of the stomach and enters the system faster. Drink warmer water (room temperature or warm uncaffeinated tea or broth) when exercising outside in the cold.

Drink before you're thirsty. People who drink to satisfy thirst replace only about half of what they need. An intelligent, buy the book, "hydration schedule" for a workout looks something like this:

· 17 ounces of water 2 hours before your workout
· unces or more 15 minutes before your workout
· 4 to 8 ounces every 10 to 20 minutes during your workout
· another 8 ounces after your workout
Old 05-13-2004, 12:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_S
FYI there is no scientific research that proves the above statement. That statement is put out by a company who is in the business to sell water and some physicians buy into it. I work for a urologist who has done research and once the body is sufficiently hydrated you only need 6-8 8-ounce glasses a day. Remember you get water from other sources too...read on...

Water, water, everywhere...even in your food!
Well, thanks for your advice. I'm no doctor and I'm not speaking as an expert. I can only go by what I'm experiencing in my own life. I am 100 pounds overweight and drinking more water has help change my life drastically. I'm losing weight, losing inches, and I feel and look better. THAT'S ALL I CARE ABOUT. So, to each, his/her own.

I really don't care who started it or whether somebody is getting rich because I drink a gallon of water a day. Someone is getting rich when I eat/drink unhealthy (like, McDonald's). So, I might as well feel better.

This is just my own personal testimony about the effect of drinking more water in my life and my friends life. So, then quoting doctors and experts, in the field of this or that, is irrelevant to me (No, disrespect intended). Their research doesnot change my testimony. Nor will it stop me from drinking my gallon of water a day.

Even if the only benefit is that I eat less, then its worth it to me.

Your talking to someone who has spent the last 4 years spending her money on everything, going to doctors, nutritionists, fast weight loss clinics, etc. in an attempt to jump start weight loss (I read a lot too...and I am quite aware of the different "expert opinions" concerning the subject).

However, for me, personally, drinking lots of water is what jump started the reduction of body fat etc..

Let's use a bit of logic/common sense too. If the standard for an average height/weight person is 8-8oz glasses of water a day. Do you think that someone who is 100 pounds over the normal weight for their height would receive the same benefits from drinking only 8-8oz glasses of water? And if a person such as myself where eating all those healthy veggies and fruit and things with all that water in it, then I wouldn't be overweight would I? So, It stands to reason, that until someone such as myself, gets a handle on his/her healthy eating habits, more water is necessary to rid the body of the toxins associated with the unhealthy food being consumed. What do you think?

That's seems only logical. Now, I'm not crazy enough to believe, that I don't have to change the way I eat-just drink a gallon of water. I am learning new eating habits. Someday soon I hope to be able to say that I am eating healthier and require less water, but until then, all the water distributors in the state of Maryland will be getting rich off of me.

Thanks

Last edited by dirojon; 05-13-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #11  

Default 100 oz of water

The diet that my doctor has put me on requires 100 oz of water per day! I don't know if it is the diet or the water or both, but I have lost 5 1/5 pounds since Monday..it is Thursday. It may be all water weight but it is an encouraging start.

Start Weight: 195.5
Today's : 190
Goal: 165
(6 ft tall)
Old 05-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew
The diet that my doctor has put me on requires 100 oz of water per day! I don't know if it is the diet or the water or both, but I have lost 5 1/5 pounds since Monday..it is Thursday. It may be all water weight but it is an encouraging start.

Start Weight: 195.5
Today's : 190
Goal: 165
(6 ft tall)

Thanks. I needed that support. This is a tough crowd. By the way, CONGRADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on your weight loss.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:35 PM   #13  
si, si signora

I'm thinking that water is good, but honestly, isn't it all about calories in, calories out?

Water may fill you up and you'll eat less or become more active by walking to the restroom more often.

Call me what you want, but before we all got bigger -- myself included, there was no great emphasis on water consumption, we ate smaller portions, better quality foods (IMHO --- less processed stuff and no high fructose corn syrup) and got more exercise doing everyday chores.

Drink water if think it'll make you feel better, but it all comes down to input and output.

lala
skeptic extraordinaire with a master's degree in science!
Old 05-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #14  
Cowboy Up Chick

No one is disputing that drinking water is beneficial however because of all the other places we receive liquid from the MINIMUM needed is only 6-8 8-ounce glasses a day. No one is saying you only have to drink that. Drink to your heart's content but they question was posted as to how much is really needed. I answered and also put to 'bed' a myth that you need to drink 1/2 your body weight in water.

Now my doctor has me drinking nearly 2 gallons a day (luckily I love the stuff) because of recurrent UTIs.

I think some the responses here got off track thinking I am saying that you shouldn't drink more than 6-8 8-ounces a day. That is not what I was saying at all.
Closed Thread