South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Fall out at Ruby Tuesday

Hi, all!

So on Friday, my DH suggested a date night. Knowing that Ruby Tuesday (http://www.rubytuesday.com/) has low carb food and a great salad bar, I agreed. I stopped by home to pick up a small container of low sugar dressing and off we went.

They have a wonderful menu full of healthy choices and they even put their calories, fat grams, net carbs, and fiber grams right on the menu with an extended version in a tabletop booklet. They are doing all their frying in canola oil and the information on that sounded like something out of SBD!

I was very excited to get to eat out and checked out their website before going to make sure I could eat something healthy. I got their Church Street Chicken with no bacon and a side of cauliflower and sauteed zucchini. I also got the salad bar, and that was my undoing. :sigh:

I made a wonderful, healthy salad with tons of veggies, some chopped ham, chickpeas and even passed up their incredible croutons (though I love them!). I was looking at their pre-made salads to see if there was anything I could have and saw the three bean salad. Remembering that Ruthxxx said she had some when she gardened, I thought I might as well try it. I love the kidney and garbanzo beans, but am not a big green bean fan, so I have never tried it before. I put two small spoonfuls on my plate.

Anyways, I tasted it at my seat and was into my second bite when I realized why it tasted so sweet and tangy...sugar!

I wasn't sure there was sugar in the salad, though I had a good idea, until the next morning. I woke up from a night of dreams of cheating on the diet (and feeling really guilty) to terrible cravings that lasted for two days. Ack! If I had to go through those cravings, I would have rather done so for a Krispy Kreme or something more exciting than beans!

Oh well, now I know...otherwise the dinner was really good. Their mashed cauliflower is green...a bit odd. I asked the waitress why that was, and she said she had no idea...that sometimes it is white, sometimes green. It was a bit chalky tasting to me, but interesting. I found it funny that the cauliflower and the creamed spinach have a lot more fat than their fries!

Anyways, the moral is: stay away from pre-made 3 Bean Salad!
Old 05-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #2  
Goddess In Her Mind

S/C/G: 215/215/150

Beachgal - I hate to say this but I go to Ruby Tuesdays all the time near me and my cauliflower has never been green! Don't eat the green cauliflower. It's scary.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Ack, that's pretty scary! Another friend here at work went there last week, and the cauliflower was green, too. I think I'll e-mail corporate and find out what they say. Did you find it chalky?

Ruth, what do you use to make your three bean salad? I did like it, and I would like to make some at home!
Old 05-11-2004, 03:44 PM   #4  

I went to RT a couple of weeks ago. I got the Chicken Quesedilla (sp?) on a low carb tortilla and the salad bar. They don't use low fat cheese, but I figured once in awhile wouldn't kill me. It was yummy!!!
Old 05-11-2004, 03:52 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

There is such a thing as green cauliflower. It's perfectly fine.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

yes broccoflower Is what its called I get it at the market sometimes
Old 05-11-2004, 05:49 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Actually, that's exactly what I mentioned to the waitress...maybe it's broccoflower? She really didn't answer. So the question is...are they using broccoflower or are they just really Irish or something?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:02 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Yeah, they're in the back with a big pot of green water, dying the veggies.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Closed Thread