South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #1  

Question New to SBD. Bummed - only 2 lbs week 1

Hello

I have been lurking here for awhile but thought I would introduce myself. I've been doing SBD for 1 week as of today.

I've really been doing well -- at least I thought so. But I was bummed this morning to only find a 2 lb weight loss.

I haven't been following the 'Day1', 'Day2' menus exactly, but rather mixing and matching, always sticking to allowed foods.

Anyone else who stuck to it NOT experience a big weight loss in week 1? I have about 60 - 70 lbs to lose.

Here is an example of what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast - 2 muffin cup egg/spinach thingies, 1 small can V8, coffee with Splenda only
Lunch - 2 turkey lunchmeat rollups, with Cilantrao Mayo (as per recipe book) and lettuce, 30 pistachios, an a laughing cow cheese
Snack - sliced celery with huumus
supper - chicken grilled on the george foreman grill with mushrooms, cauliflower mashed potatoes, and sugar free jello

I must admit, I'm not drinking as much water as I did early in the week.
I am also feeling very tired the past 2 days.
Early in the week I 'felt' I was losing, but the past 3-4 days I haven't.

Also, I made the Cilantro mayo thing with Hellmans Reduced Fat Mayo - is that OK?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by CatsPlay; 05-05-2004 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Amy!

I'm on Day 7 of Phase 1, so we are not too far behind each other!

I'm sorry to hear that you did not lose as much as you hoped. However, it sounds, from perusing the posts here, that it is fairly common to not lose as much as you think you will during Phase 1.

Your menu sounds fine...just missing a bit of the veggies. I know I do not get as many in as I should, but I am really trying, because that seems to be very important. Perhaps you could add a salad to the rollups and to your dinner? I seem to be able to add salads easily...they are easy to make and to eat, and they are really filling if you put a variety of veggies in them as Dr. A suggests.

Hopefully the results of week 2 will be much more encouraging!

My scale won't go up to my weight (I get an "error"), so I have no idea if I have lost anything. The last scale I was on that recorded a weight was at my doctor's office...and I do not think they want me to make an appointment just to get weighed in.

I wish you tons of luck...hopefully some of the more experienced SBDers will post here so you can get their sage advice!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:22 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the Beach, Amy! Glad you decided to join us.
Don't worry about the weight loss. I'm sure the loss fluctuates from day to day. And drink more water! It's SO important.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:33 PM   #4  

When I started SBD, I barely lost anything the first few days. This was discouraging to me because I changed my eating habits so drastically.

Then, the weight just started falling off.

Don't worry about it. This is a healthy way of eating...the weight will come off.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #5  

Amy - I'm sorry to hear about your slow loss the first weeks. I wonder, could it be that you're just not eating enough food - thereby causing your metabolism to go into starvation mode? The lunch and dinner your listed seem pretty light on the amount of food. Are you feeling full when you're done?

I haven't been following the book's Phase 1 menus at all. Just sticking within the list of okay Phase 1 foods as best as possible. And I've been eating a heckuva lot!

Make sure that you don't deprive yourself so much that you give up on the diet. Eat more!!! (when's the last time you heard that?) And please, let us know how you're doing.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:28 PM   #6  

If you are not very overweight to start with your weight loss will be slower too. Hang in there, increase your vegies and water consumption and it will come off. I don't know anyone yet who hasn't lost weight on this diet.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I agree you should bump up the water intake! And some more veggies too! I eat a lot of veggies as a rule and I dont follow the menu in the book cuz i dont like some of that stuff. I'm on day 5 and I switched to SB after 3 weeks on atkins per my doctors request and so far I like it. I lost 12 lbs with Atkins and so far 1 lb with SB but I know I've lost more but I take my official weight from my weigh in days. I took one day off that was the day I went to the doctor and went form 137 to 142 I was 142 the day I started SB and now I am at 235 so I'm sure i'll have great results come sunday!! I can't wait. I have been drinking between 64 oz and 110 oz of water a day this helps me feel full longer and give me more energy.

Michelle
Old 05-06-2004, 11:01 PM   #8  

Default Slow Loser Too...

Hi, CatsPlay,

I only lost 1 pound the first week, and one the second, so was frustrated too...I am on Day 4 of week 3. I do feel like my clothes are looser, though...I only want to lose 10 pounds or so, so I know that I will lose more slowly than some folks. I also felt tired and constipated the first week. What helped me was: including legumes (I just feel really heavy eating meat or eggs every meal), drinking tons of water, and reducing caffeine. In week 3, I have virtually no cravings, and that is what is keeping me on this thing. I think I may even lose more efficiently in Phase 2, because I feel more satisfied adding in a little oatmeal and fruit, so am probably eating fewer calories (replacing some of the the meat and eggs I ate in Phase 1). I agree that you may not be eating enough--make sure you're not leaving your meals hungry! Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:26 PM   #9  

Hello
Thanks to all for the responses!

Tomorrow is the end of my second week, and I am happier to say that I have lost 7 lbs now. It ends up I was bloated last week and I forgot it was that time of the month.

I am really not missing the carbs at all, interestingly. I think I need to force myself into a little more variety as I tend to eat the same few food staples over and over again instead of mixing it up.

By the way, has anyone tried the Shrimp Creole out of the gold SBD Recipe book -- wow! I think it is the greatest tasting thing I've ever cooked!! Very satisfying -- and I spooned it over the cauliflower mashed potatoes and thought I was in heaven!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:21 AM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Amy, that's great news!
Old 05-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #11  
mrs.brenda

Catsplay,
Would you please write out the recipe for the Shrimp Creole.
Would like to try it.
Thank you,
Mrrs.Brenda
Old 05-12-2004, 08:58 AM   #12  

Sure, I will do it within the next day or so. It is delicious!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:16 AM   #13  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Sounds delish! Looking forward to seeing the post, as I too need to shake things up!

Good for you Amy. Congrats!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #14  

I made the Shrimp Creole and added some cooked pearl barley to it to make it more of a Jambalai(?). It is very good. Also try the Spinach Souffle' stuffed chicken breast. DEEEEEElicious.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:03 AM   #15  
Goddess In Her Mind

S/C/G: 215/215/150

Amy - Welcome to the beach!! I'm sorry you're so disappointed in the amount of weight you've lost. I too have been frustrated by the scale at times but it really goes back and forth. You'll have good and bad weeks no matter how "good" you are on the diet. I cannot stress it enough that you should find another way to track your progress OTHER THAN A SCALE!! You can use the scale too but you might consider adding your measurements as a way of tracking. Some weeks I won't lose any "weight" but I'll decrease my waist by an inch or something! It really helps me stay on track. Good luck!
Closed Thread